Estes Long Ranger Quick Build #0814

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had a ton of time lately to but wanted to build something new. A couple weeks back I picked up a Long Ranger at the HL closeout for $4.99. I figured I couldn't buy the parts for that much so why not.

Overall the parts look pretty good. One of my fins had a molding issue where the outer edge isn't straight but I'm not worrying about it for $5.

Pretty basic kit. BT50 body tube, plastic nose cone and multipiece plastic fin can. I will be replacing the rubber shock cord with Kevlar and using a normal launch lug in place of the piece they provided.

11.jpg

Began the build with the fin can.

12.jpg

Added a small amount of glue to the fin tabs then inserted them into the slots. I added a small bead on the inside as well since I can easily get to it.

13.jpg

With the two glue dry, I assembled the two halves of the fin can using a little model cement on the edges.

14.jpg

The fin can was taped together to allow the glue to cure.

15.jpg

Next I added the remaining fins. All I can say is WOW!!! that is an ugly color combination.

18.jpg19.jpg

Time to assemble the nose cone. I have had incredibly bad luck with the attachment points on nose cones breaking off so I decided to glue a scrap piece of ply inside the nose cone base to give me a solid place to attach a screw eye when the plastic breaks. The inside of the nose cone an the outside of the cap were sanded and attached using model cement.

16.jpg17.jpg

Next came the body tubes. I began by marking the halfway point of the coupler.

20.jpg

The coupler was then glued into one of the body tubes and allowed to dry.

21.jpg

Next came attaching the upper tube to the lower. I didn't want the glue to dry too quickly as I wanted time to get the tubes aligned and straight. I attached the upper tube using 5 mins epoxy then placed both tubes in a piece of angle to ensure they were straight and allowed them to cure.

22.jpg

While the tubes were curing, I decided to fix the ugly fin can using Krylon Foil Purple spray paint. This was applied to the nosecone and fin can.

23.jpg

Attached a 2.25 inch launch lug. The outer wrap of the tube was scrapped away before attaching. It was also at this point that I added the Kevlar shock cord but didn't get a pic of that.

24.jpg

The joint where the two tubes joined wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and the Yellow color was going away so it was time for primer and filler.

25.jpg

I'll skip over the primer pics and go straight to the finished product. I used Krylon Medium Sea Blue for the main tube. The stock stickers were applied and I feel it looks pretty good for the time invested.

27.jpg

Overall I think this is a solid quick build kit that would be nice for anyone just getting into rocketry. If it wasn't for the painting, I could have had this kit build in 30 mins. and could have been in the air in an hour. With the changes I made the build took me about 90 mins. of actual work time. I would recommend this kit or a beginner. Going to put it up on a C6-5 this weekend and see if I can lose it :)

Last edited:
My godson's workhorse rocket is still the Super Shot from the launch set at HL, which is essentially the same rocket. In the desert @ ~2800 ft, it was in between C6-5 and C6-7. At sea level, it definitely wants the C6-5. We've pulled shroud lines off the chute with a C6-7.

We've also had issues with the NC cap coming unglued. Partly, the instructions failed to advise washing the parts thoroughly in warm water and Dawn to get the mold release off. Partly, Testor's red tube glue sucks. I find massively stronger joints result by using my Tamiya liquid cement.

I picked up several of these kits on the clearance. I bought one at the regular price last year and took it back when I realized how unstraight the fins were. I'm hoping to find enough straight fins to build one or two fin cans with the parts.

I have a couple rockets built using the Booster-55 and Booster-60. I haven't glued the fins in either of them. The fins are positively retained by the screw-on cap, so I can mix and match colors, replace damaged ones, etc. Also, removable fins allow the rocket to pack down into a small mailing tube, so I can stuff it in my luggage and travel with it more efficiently.

Overall, I'm looking at the purchase as a collection of parts for cheap. Nothing that looks like a stock Long Ranger will get built in my house.

As a first step, building the kit with only one of the body tubes would give better performance. With the weight of the plastic fin can, it warrants checking stability, but the nose cone is pretty thick-walled, too, so I wouldn't be surprised to find it doesn't need any nose weight.

I have one of these, thinking of replacing the fin can with a 24mm D engine mount but using everything else and having it separate in the middle. It will be the ugliest rocket I own, but yours looks great. It’s E-12 day at the launch BTW, in case you like Fireworks.

I used two E12-4's in a cluster last month with no problem. Good Luck! If you have trouble, let us know the lot number.

I've never had an E12 CATO myself but I've seen a ton of them with our club. I tend to blow up the unusual stuff like D12's, C5-3, B6-4's etc.

I even have a couple of E9's that I'm thinking of using up this weekend

Back