Semroc Orpital Transport Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, One guestion. I assume White would be the best color to paint it if I was to go with the Green? I know on some decals, the base color really makes a dif on how they look.

A light color is best for the decals to show up.

Since the OT does represent some kind of air liner...sorta, white or silver does seem appropriate.

Although I have done a "version" in black.

new photo.JPG

A light color is best for the decals to show up.

Since the OT does represent some kind of air liner...sorta, white or silver does seem appropriate.

Although I have done a "version" in black.

WHOA that's WAY cool!!!

later! OL JR :)

Are you hearing me Pvt. Dog?
Sir,Yes Sir......

thumbnail.aspx

Come'on guys give the dog a break!:sigh:

It's a lot harder to build an Orpital Transport than an Orbital Transport ya know! Orps are nortoriously hard to fashion from anything other than unobtainium...

SIR! PVT DOG,finaly got back on it.SIR! Got the main rocket primed today. Looks like CRAP!!
Thinking maybe the papering was a bad idea. When I started to do the fin/joint fillets,the paper didnt like the moisture I guess.Wrinkled up and its just a DAM MESS.
I scratched doing the fillets and went straight to the primer. Im thinking I might just go ahead and put the paint to it and get around to color sanding it and clean it up someday.At least it will be sealed and maybe I can do the fillets.
On the glider ,I glued the elevons on before glueing the wings on the tube.
Also,I noticed in the instructions for the glider,it says to mark the glider tube and then put the letter "N" on one mark and "M" on ta uda. Then draw the lines.
When it says to glue the wings on,it doesnt state to use line "M",in fact it just says to glue the wings on.
Then a few steps later it says to glue the rudder on line "N".
Well, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the wings line up/go on line "M"

So, thats where its at.I been busy doing other things.
One thing is..I been working on the "XTF-18 Transporter"
Trying to get that ready for a test flight.
Ill be posting up-date on that build in Scratch.

SOT9h.JPG

SOTG.JPG

SOTG1.JPG

SOTG2.JPG

Hope you didn't glue that nose on already and you used Elmer's on the elevons. Those elevons are going to need to be tweaked because that template is approximate. That nose will need some weight added as well. Those gliders are a biotch dude. Sorry your papering job failed. Prolly should practice that app on some scraps 1st.

Hope you didn't glue that nose on already and you used Elmer's on the elevons. Those elevons are going to need to be tweaked because that template is approximate. That nose will need some weight added as well. Those gliders are a biotch dude. Sorry your papering job failed. Prolly should practice that app on some scraps 1st.
I'M TWEAKED!

You're a better rocketeer than I am then. Both of mine flutter down like tumble recovery. Gliders aren't my best forte. My Gimini Starliner is a total spinoff of the OT hosting 2 gliders. Neither of which fly correctly with the given instructions.

DSCF1680.JPG

DSCF1681.JPG

DSCF1682.JPG

You're a better rocketeer than I am then. Both of mine flutter down like tumble recovery. Gliders aren't my best forte. My Gimini Starliner is a total spinoff of the OT hosting 2 gliders. Neither of which fly correctly with the given instructions.
I think you misunderstood me. I mean "IM TWEAKED" as in ,me,myself and I. This build=:bangpan::bangbang::bangpan::bangbang: :bangpan::bangbang::bangpan::bangbang:

Last edited:
That's really strange... I've never had anything like that happen with papered fins... and I've been using them for a few years...

There's not any particular magic to it. From what you said happened, I'm not sure what the cause is... almost sounds like incompatibility or something but that hardly makes sense...

What materials did you use?? Glues, paper/cardstock, fillet glue, etc??

VERY unusual...

I typically just use white glue spread VERY VERY THIN to glue regular printer paper to the fins, let them dry THOROUGHLY (overnight) then join them to the rocket with Titebond II yellow wood glue using double glue joints, let them dry about an hour or two (at least, overnight at most, usually while doing other stuff on the build) and then fillet with Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue...

Never had the first problem with it and it's virtually bulletproof... the tube will delaminate before the fins let go. Usually let the fillets dry overnight and then prime with a few good coats of Walmart Colorplace Primer, or since that's gotten nearly impossible to get, Rustoleum red primer...

The biggest issue I've seen is with using TOO MUCH glue to put the paper on... the thinner the glue layer, the better! (Stronger, lighter, dries faster). Using too much glue only weakens the joint, weakens the paper, and leads to wrinkling the paper and other such problems...

Maybe the glue holding the paper on the fins wasn't completely dried before you filleted?? Only thing that pops into my mind right off that could POSSIBLY cause the problem you describe...

Better luck next time! OL JR :)

PS. If you want a good finish, solve any problems you have NOW during the construction/prep phase... putting paint over it will make it WORSE not better... and going back and redoing it later is a PITA... better off to just take a little more time and do some remediation NOW while it's still a fairly straightforward job, rather than later after you have other areas of the rocket that look good that will probably get messed up from fixing the bad areas, messing up decals, etc...

IMHO. Good luck!

That's really strange... I've never had anything like that happen with papered fins... and I've been using them for a few years...

There's not any particular magic to it. From what you said happened, I'm not sure what the cause is... almost sounds like incompatibility or something but that hardly makes sense...

What materials did you use?? Glues, paper/cardstock, fillet glue, etc??

VERY unusual...

I typically just use white glue spread VERY VERY THIN to glue regular printer paper to the fins, let them dry THOROUGHLY (overnight) then join them to the rocket with Titebond II yellow wood glue using double glue joints, let them dry about an hour or two (at least, overnight at most, usually while doing other stuff on the build) and then fillet with Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue...

Never had the first problem with it and it's virtually bulletproof... the tube will delaminate before the fins let go. Usually let the fillets dry overnight and then prime with a few good coats of Walmart Colorplace Primer, or since that's gotten nearly impossible to get, Rustoleum red primer...

The biggest issue I've seen is with using TOO MUCH glue to put the paper on... the thinner the glue layer, the better! (Stronger, lighter, dries faster). Using too much glue only weakens the joint, weakens the paper, and leads to wrinkling the paper and other such problems...

Maybe the glue holding the paper on the fins wasn't completely dried before you filleted?? Only thing that pops into my mind right off that could POSSIBLY cause the problem you describe...

Better luck next time! OL JR :)

PS. If you want a good finish, solve any problems you have NOW during the construction/prep phase... putting paint over it will make it WORSE not better... and going back and redoing it later is a PITA... better off to just take a little more time and do some remediation NOW while it's still a fairly straightforward job, rather than later after you have other areas of the rocket that look good that will probably get messed up from fixing the bad areas, messing up decals, etc...

IMHO. Good luck!
I used peel n stick label paper. Ive papered fins before.I used brown paper bag paper and white glue. No issues. I do hear what you are saying about.....Taking care of the mess NOW. It can be saved and it will be. Just need to get away from it for awhile.
Part of my aggravation is due to ..alot of stuff going on in life. Some good and some not so good.Ive been rushing things.
I also want to get back to ,own design/ scratch building. I enjoy that so much more.Dont get me wrong,I like the kits and have some beauties Ive built.
Anywhoo- Thanks for the reply and Ill chill-out and get it fixed.

I used peel n stick label paper. Ive papered fins before.I used brown paper bag paper and white glue. No issues. I do hear what you are saying about.....Taking care of the mess NOW. It can be saved and it will be. Just need to get away from it for awhile.
Part of my aggravation is due to ..alot of stuff going on in life. Some good and some not so good.Ive been rushing things.
I also want to get back to ,own design/ scratch building. I enjoy that so much more.Dont get me wrong,I like the kits and have some beauties Ive built.
Anywhoo- Thanks for the reply and Ill chill-out and get it fixed.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about frustrations and problems IRL... hang in there-- I guess things'll get better sooner or later, or worse and put us all out of our misery! LOL:)

Hard not to rush sometimes... but it usually causes more problems than it fixes...

Later! OL JR :)

Yep... Stuff does happen. And I'll lose interest in things - especially if going badly, not working out the way I thought, or whatever. Like the Dagger 38 which I finally finished up a week ago with some pin stripe and dull coat. I pronounced it done... like 6 months after I started. :( So don't hesitate to chuck it to the side and come back in month or two. :)

Hope things settle down.

Last edited:
Back