Semroc Orpital Transport Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I glued the LLs on main tube. The intructions call to glue the wings on and then glue the wing fairings on. I went and glued the fairings to the wing first.
This way I used on piece of paper to cover the wing and the seam between the wing and fairing.
Im really impressed using/doing the label papering thing.
I cant tell you how much time it saved and the mess of filling and sanding all those little pieces.
I hope I can get a nice seal and finish on the paper.Thats my only concern.
Tonypv and Big "D" says "No trouble sealing and getting a good finish over the paper.
I also figure Ill pin hole thru the paper on the wings where I have to glue the wing fences,tips and rudders to get a good bond .
Ill paper the underside of wings and scramjet covers tomrrow night and start glueing all the pieces/parts on.
OH-YA, I guess Im supposed to seal the edges with CA too.

SOT6.JPG

SOT7.JPG

SOT8.JPG

SOT9.JPG

SOT9a.JPG

Last edited:
I glued the LLs on main tube. The intructions call to glue the wings on and then glue the wing fairings on. I went and glued the fairings to the wing first.
This way I used on piece of paper to cover the wing and the seam between the wing and fairing.
Im really impressed using/doing the label papering thing.
I cant tell you how much time it saved and the mess of filling and sanding all those little pieces.
I hope I can get a nice seal and finish on the paper.Thats my only concern.
Tonypv and Big "D" says "No trouble sealing and getting a good finish over the paper.
I also figure Ill pin hole thru the paper on the wings where I have to glue the wing fences,tips and rudders to get a good bond .
Ill paper the underside of wings and scramjet covers tomrrow night and start glueing all the pieces/parts on.
OH-YA, I guess Im supposed to seal the edges with CA too.
Tweaking that glider is going to be the most challenging part of the build. I still have 2 that ain't right.

I had a OT when I was a wee lad and it was newly released. I thought it was super cool.

Don't remember what happened to it.

I had a OT when I was a wee lad and it was newly released. I thought it was super cool.

Don't remember what happened to it.

Me too, but I remember what happened to mine ,I discovered CHICKS...:wink:

Paul T

southernchicks_large.jpg

I also figure I'll pin hole thru the paper on the wings where I have to glue the wing fences,tips and rudders to get a good bond.
If I can make a suggestion. I would remove a strip of the paper so you can get a WOOD to WOOD joint before gluing on the rudders, tips, etc. so you don't end up with something like this:

interrogator 015(2).JPG

If I can make a suggestion. I would remove a strip of the paper so you can get a WOOD to WOOD joint before gluing on the rudders, tips, etc. so you don't end up with something like this:
Will do!

:mad::mad::mad: Somewhere, some how, I got my lines off.Anywhoo, I can save it. I decided to put the smaller parts on before the wing tips and rudders. Be easer to move it around and eyeball stuff.
Well, I started with the lug for the glider.I eyeball it from the end and see right away its not centered between the wings.
So, I put the marking guide on and that line was off about 1/8ish. :mad: I got it back where it should be and used the ole trusty eyeball and think Im good.
I then put the canards on and they seemed ok by my eye.
Next was the glider supports.I get them on and eye ball it from the end and can see the tops are off.I put a straight edge over them and can see its (straight edge) is not running parallel with the wings.
I end up having to tweak them also. I bent on down and one up.
I have the 2 ventral fins left to put on the tube.I get them lined up and I should be good to go on the rest.
Wing tips and rudders wont be effected by the SCREW-UP on laying out the lines on BT.
You can see the engine hook is off center also. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Anywhoo,heres some pics
After fighting it, I think I did OK getting things straightened out.

SOT9b.JPG

SOT9c.JPG

SOT9d.JPG

SOT9e.JPG

Good looking build. I've done two myself; The first an Estes Clone (Flew great till a tree ate it) and the second a Semroc kit. LOVE the Semroc kit. I only made two mods and both minor. The first was (based on experience with the clone) to toss the 1/8 LL and go with a 3/16. Got more rod whip on the clone than I liked. Upsizeing to a 3/16 rod seems to have done the trick. The second, Though not really a mod, was a change in the decals. Not the design, just the color. Every OT you see is trimmed in red so for a little individuality, I worked up a number of different colors on the same design. If anyone wants a HI RES file, drop me a PM.
Build looks great! Kepp us informed. Good flying.

Decal sheet 2.jpg

Decal sheet 3.jpg

Decal sheet 4.jpg

Good looking build. I've done two myself; The first an Estes Clone (Flew great till a tree ate it) and the second a Semroc kit. LOVE the Semroc kit. I only made two mods and both minor. The first was (based on experience with the clone) to toss the 1/8 LL and go with a 3/16. Got more rod whip on the clone than I liked. Upsizeing to a 3/16 rod seems to have done the trick. The second, Though not really a mod, was a change in the decals. Not the design, just the color. Every OT you see is trimmed in red so for a little individuality, I worked up a number of different colors on the same design. If anyone wants a HI RES file, drop me a PM.
Build looks great! Kepp us informed. Good flying.
COOL,I like the Green.Thanks

Got the wing tips and the rest of parts on. Ill let his dry. Then its some small fillets, touch up on the edges and sanding and it will be primer time.
The NC is filled and needs sanding and primer.
Still need to build the glider.
Its getting there.

SOT9f.JPG

SOT9G.JPG

I had the Centuri SST. Thats on my someday list.

I still have my original Centuri SST Shuttle. I think it's from late '70's. It has the plastic nosecone, not balsa like the earlier ones. I'm afraid to fly it now though. So, I got the Semroc one to build with my son.
Adrian

I still have my original Centuri SST Shuttle. I think it's from late '70's. It has the plastic nosecone, not balsa like the earlier ones. I'm afraid to fly it now though. So, I got the Semroc one to build with my son.
Adrian
Not sure,but back then, you attached the shock cord by making 2 slits 1/4 aparts or so in the BT and running it out and then back in? I have to Thank my DAD for getting me into rocketry. One xmass I got an exacto knive set and some Centuri kits. Didnt really know anything about rockets or whatever. It was a gift I would have never exspected. I have no idea where he got them.Must have ordered them,cuz I know thats what I had to do, to get more rocket stuff. 1 catalog and weeks of waiting for your order to arrive. Boy have times changed.The SST was the BOMB. Had the Little Joe, some 3FNCs(???) a 2 stager. (?).

Not sure,but back then, you attached the shock cord by making 2 slits 1/4 aparts or so in the BT and running it out and then back in? I have to Thank my DAD for getting me into rocketry. One xmass I got an exacto knive set and some Centuri kits. Didnt really know anything about rockets or whatever. It was a gift I would have never exspected. I have no idea where he got them.Must have ordered them,cuz I know thats what I had to do, to get more rocket stuff. 1 catalog and weeks of waiting for your order to arrive. Boy have times changed.The SST was the BOMB. Had the Little Joe, some 3FNCs(???) a 2 stager. (?).

My SST Shuttle has the two slits in the body tube for the shock cord mount. I only had a few Centuri kits. I have the Semroc SST and Orbital Transport to build. I'll probably do the shock cord mount the same way on the Semroc SST. I think we'll build them both this winter. Time to search the archives about this paper on the fins thing.
Adrian

Time to search the archives about this paper on the fins thing.
Adrian
Good idea to check into it more.(papering) It has its place on builds and others builds it doesnt. I figured Ild try it out on this build.
It was just about a free kit.Got it in a big box of stuff.
I looked at all the pieces and said,ahh,Ill try the papering thing on this. Havent done much more on it. Im hoping to get it cleaned up tonight and get some primer on it.
Thats when (after primer and paint) I wil have a better idea if I like the papering.Need to see how it(paper) takes the primer,sanding ,ect.

COOL,I like the Green.Thanks

I've also done it in green, purple, blue as well as red, silver and metallic gold.

I also have done one with a chrome outline.

THAT looks really cool!

They aren't listed on my web site but just email me.

I've also done it in green, purple, blue as well as red, silver and metallic gold.

I also have done one with a chrome outline.

THAT looks really cool!

They aren't listed on my web site but just email me.
Thanks, One guestion. I assume White would be the best color to paint it if I was to go with the Green? I know on some decals, the base color really makes a dif on how they look.

Thanks, However......I will say
"Its getting a little long in the tooth. Just havent been on it."

Yeah I hear ya. I haven't had much time for the hobby...just finishing up some kits that I started earlier. Selling off the rest.

Latest posts

Back