New and improved Featherweight magnetic switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone (@Adrian A ) explain what the orientation of the <---Mag--> line means, and where it should be oriented?
Is it better to solder or use ring terminals for HPR?
Does the screw need to be isolated so that you don't have a couple of nuts on the other side of the sled that can short?
Does the orientation of the magnet make a difference (i.e. one end is on, one end is off)?
I have four now and installing, would be nice to have a set of instructions for us electronics dummies.

Thanks for the help!

Can anyone (@Adrian A ) explain what the orientation of the <---Mag--> line means, and where it should be oriented?
Is it better to solder or use ring terminals for HPR?
Does the screw need to be isolated so that you don't have a couple of nuts on the other side of the sled that can short?
Does the orientation of the magnet make a difference (i.e. one end is on, one end is off)?
I have four now and installing, would be nice to have a set of instructions for us electronics dummies.

Thanks for the help!
1. When the magnet long axis is aligned with the mag line silkscreen, that's when it has the longest range.
2. I prefer solder just because it's smaller. The magnetic switch is quite small and even the smallest of ring terminals (4-40) can add a lot to the footprint of the switch. They can also loosen over time. Soldered connections might be more apt to break if the wire where the solder as saturated it gets stressed.
3. I'm usually not worried about the potential for shorting on the underside of my sleds, and in fact that's often where I connect my wires. Sometimes I'll solder wires to a brass 4-40 nut. But it's up to you and it's dependent on your configuration.
4. Yes, with the latest generation of switches. (see first post)

Back