I can't find .eng file in open rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Post the ENG file.
2) It is really preferable to put your custom motor files in a *directory* specified in preferences, rather than specifying individual files in the preferences. The default (which I am not fond of) is in AppData, but you can specify something sane and then just dump all your motor files there.

did u restart openroc then try?
Yes
Did you click the 'add' button after your first screenshot?
yes
1) Post the ENG file.
2) It is really preferable to put your custom motor files in a *directory* specified in preferences, rather than specifying individual files in the preferences. The default (which I am not fond of) is in AppData, but you can specify something sane and then just dump all your motor files there.
1 I’ll have to check with the guy who made it first (or send you a pm)
2 I looked there but I didn’t see the file it told me to put it in.

Just add your own custom directory for the eng files. For example, create one in your Documents folder labelled ENGfiles, and add the folder to Open Rocket from the screen in your first screenshot. Dump the .eng file you're working with today and any new ones down the road into that folder.

Just add your own custom directory for the eng files. For example, create one in your Documents folder labelled ENGfiles, and add the folder to Open Rocket from the screen in your first screenshot. Dump the .eng file you're working with today and any new ones down the road into that folder.
That is basically what I did, but it was all my sim stuff not just ENG files, and it’s on my desktop. But I can try that.

Good topic !

If one looks at the content in a RASP.eng file, there are numerous thrust curves where each is separated by a line with a single semicolon ( ';' )

Can I put all my hand-rolled thrust curves in a single file and only include the one file in the [Edit] > [Preferences] > [General] > [User Defined Thrust Curves] dialog ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

Good topic !

If one looks at the content in a RASP.eng file, there are numerous thrust curves where each is separated by a line with a single semicolon ( ';' )

Can I put all my hand-rolled thrust curves in a single file and only include the one file in the [Edit] > [Preferences] > [General] > [User Defined Thrust Curves] dialog ?
Yes. But why would you want to?

You can see the equivalent on thrustcurve.org here: https://www.thrustcurve.org/outbox/filesets/. There's one giant file for each manufacturer.

So I could keep all "my" motors in one file and not have to list a bunch of individual files in the Edit > Preferences dialog ... ???

Thanks Neil !

I'll give it a shot !!

-- kjh
If you add the folder they're contained in into the dialog, you don't have to add them individually.

I would be remiss if I did not (belatedly) take this opportunity to mention that this is the first issue discussed in the Motor Database tutorial: https://openrocket.info/tutorials/motor-selection.html.

I will probably update it to include to be more explicit in recommending against listing individual files in that preference.

I meant that apparently you don’t support that because it didn’t work.
The problem with that file was the extraneous hyphen after the O (as Joe pointed out above); as far as I can tell you had a valid preference setting (not recommended, but valid) in the first place.

Last edited:
Back