Open rocket and fin cans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt72884

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So i just began the journey of fin cans. I jumped into my trusty cad program and began the design process and ideation of what i want.

I then began designing the rocket i want in open rocket and noticed no fin cans.

I did an override for mass of the fins to match that of my can.

Is there a better way to add fin cans to open rocket? Maybe add a tube coupler the same size as the can and add mass to that?

Thank you :)

So i just began the journey of fin cans. I jumped into my trusty cad program and began the design process and ideation of what i want.

I then began designing the rocket i want in open rocket and noticed no fin cans.

Is there a better way to add fin cans to open rocket? Maybe add a tube coupler the same size as the can and add mass to that?

Just add a mass component where the fin can is.​
Or... build the fin can in Open Rocket.​
Sim.jpg

Last edited:
To build it, just use a coupler\body tube and attach fins?

Mass component works too.

Also, you got a funky lookin rocket there. Im assuming those odd shapes do some sort of physics?

Thanks

Attachments

• Fincan.ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
To build on what Lt72884 said: I have a "removable" fin can using a coupler to attach it. If you don't have an actual coupler put one in with zero weight as a phantom. I simply added a body tube and put a rail button, inner tube (motor mount), and fin set in and made it an assembly. Like this:
1711912707123.png
You can put in individual weights when designing and then, after build, weight the assembly, find its CG, and put those in at the the fin can level overriding the sub-components.

To build on what Lt72884 said: I have a "removable" fin can using a coupler to attach it. If you don't have an actual coupler put one in with zero weight as a phantom. I simply added a body tube and put a rail button, inner tube (motor mount), and fin set in and made it an assembly. Like this:
View attachment 638050
You can put in individual weights when designing and then, after build, weight the assembly, find its CG, and put those in at the the fin can level overriding the sub-components.
That's kind of a cool way of doing it 🙂 Right now my fin can allows for the air frame to slide into it. Because this is for a lower end high powered rocket mostly for h motors.

If by a fin can you mean a length of body tube with fins attached that can slide over your airframe, you pretty much need to make the part of the airframe that's covered by the fin can an interior tube.

Waddyamean no fin cans??? Waddayacalldis? Chopped Liver??? ;)

1711939057968.png

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-parts-library.123247/post-2124752

Thats pretty good. Ill go and grab that. You must have spent alot of time on that. Tha ks for the link

On a side note, i have to add 500g to my nose cone to get my cp to be 1.2 calibers behind my cg. I 3d printed my fin can and i think the fins are to small of surface area. But hey, thats what engineering and testing is all about haha

Back