• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Finished up two long dormant projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
Not sure why it bedeviled me so, but I had major anxiety over the Estes QCC Explorer build. I picked it up at one of the NARAMs north of Cincinnati, so 2011? Opened it then and built the first of the fin/ramjet structures, but it fought me the whole way. After that I'd give it a look every few years and shudder. Last year I built the second fin/ramjet, then ghosted it for a long while. I got marooned at a satellite location for work a couple of weeks back and needed something to keep me busy when things got slow. It took two days, but I got all four fin/ramjets built, then got them all attached the next day. I'm quite impressed. It really is a sharp looking bird. It got primed last night. (A Krylon nightmare.) Hoping to take it with me on the 20th for our club launch, my first in over a year.
The other project bird I dragged out was the Estes Python, an SPEV-type faux missile that, like the QCC Explorer, had a fairly short time on the shelves. I always found it to be a cool looking pseudo-scale bird, and sadly screwed around until they were gone from the shelves. I did manage to find this one on eBay. The kit was missing one half of one of the two piece plastic fins, so since I wasn't in a position where it mattered to me, I just cut a set out of 3/32" balsa. I also lengthened the motor tube to allow for E motors. The next challenge is getting both projects painted and decaled before the 20th, but even doing just a little each day over 16 days should put me close to finished by the time the launch arrives. :cool:

Not sure why it bedeviled me so, but I had major anxiety over the Estes QCC Explorer build. I picked it up at one of the NARAMs north of Cincinnati, so 2011? Opened it then and built the first of the fin/ramjet structures, but it fought me the whole way. After that I'd give it a look every few years and shudder. Last year I built the second fin/ramjet, then ghosted it for a long while. I got marooned at a satellite location for work a couple of weeks back and needed something to keep me busy when things got slow. It took two days, but I got all four fin/ramjets built, then got them all attached the next day. I'm quite impressed. It really is a sharp looking bird. It got primed last night. (A Krylon nightmare.) Hoping to take it with me on the 20th for our club launch, my first in over a year.
The other project bird I dragged out was the Estes Python, an SPEV-type faux missile that, like the QCC Explorer, had a fairly short time on the shelves. I always found it to be a cool looking pseudo-scale bird, and sadly screwed around until they were gone from the shelves. I did manage to find this one on eBay. The kit was missing one half of one of the two piece plastic fins, so since I wasn't in a position where it mattered to me, I just cut a set out of 3/32" balsa. I also lengthened the motor tube to allow for E motors. The next challenge is getting both projects painted and decaled before the 20th, but even doing just a little each day over 16 days should put me close to finished by the time the launch arrives. :cool:

You had me at ramjets. Please post up some photo's... a photo is worth... well... in this case... 298 words. :computer:

You had me at ramjets. Please post up some photo's... a photo is worth... well... in this case... 298 words. :computer:
Not sure if that's the correct term. The rocket is home drying at the moment, but I'll try to get a pic today before sanding starts.

Back