F-23 Ramjet Research Vehicle (Sport-Scale w/ 3D Printed Parts + BT-55 main tube / BT-50 Engine Pods + Plywood fins)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once read a caption under a photo of a rocket that kinda looks like yours in a highly respected model rocket handbook that stated widely spaced pods were bad rocket design. Always worked for me though. Maybe time to do something even a bit more stupid? I like sports scale warbirds and this AR 234 flew on two widely spaced D12's. A real RSO frightening machine but with a nice long rod all the sin equaled out by the time it left the rod. Chutes tightly packed in the engine nacelles and had a flame decoration on the motor casing hanging out the back to make it look good; the most important element. Lots of greebles to equalize drag. The cockpit was shaped epoxy clay for copious amounts of stinking nose weight.
ar234 2.JPGar234 5.JPG

I once read a caption under a photo of a rocket that kinda looks like yours in a highly respected model rocket handbook that stated widely spaced pods were bad rocket design. Always worked for me though. Maybe time to do something even a bit more stupid? I like sports scale warbirds and this AR 234 flew on two widely spaced D12's. A real RSO frightening machine but with a nice long rod all the sin equaled out by the time it left the rod. Chutes tightly packed in the engine nacelles and had a flame decoration on the motor casing hanging out the back to make it look good; the most important element. Lots of greebles to equalize drag. The cockpit was shaped epoxy clay for copious amounts of stinking nose weight.
View attachment 621009View attachment 621008

Thanks - those are great to see... I have been wondering about putting mid-body / traction motors into side-mounted motor pods to duplicate a number of scale models out there.

How does the position of thrust affect aerodynamics? Obviously it pushes the CG forward. However, I would assume that traction motors also change the way a plane flies but I don't think that simulation software takes that into account.

Thanks - those are great to see... I have been wondering about putting mid-body / traction motors into side-mounted motor pods to duplicate a number of scale models out there.

How does the position of thrust affect aerodynamics? Obviously it pushes the CG forward. However, I would assume that traction motors also change the way a plane flies but I don't think that simulation software takes that into account.
Check out my threads Albatross DV, JU 87 Stuka, Beech Staggerwing, P61 Black Widow, Reggiane 2005 for mid cant cluster warbird fun.

Avro Lancaster, Do 217, B6N Tenzan and B58 Hustler for scary warbird pods & tractor cants.

Smaug, Crazy Train, Xenomorph Barbie Transport, Squid and Tapeworm for tractor cluster critters.

Space 1999 Eagle and Prinz Eugen for PMCs.

Jack in the Box and Shai Hulud for tractor telescopic rockets.

Dark Arts Warning: All mindsim, no computer simulation, no swing testing, cut outs or wind tunnels. Top Men designers and Level 3 RSO's will laugh out loud upon inspection.

Back