Estes customer service !¡

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Contacted them about a issue I had with a D12-3 engine (cato) . It had blown both ends out the tube, pushed my mm up into the parachute, harness, etc. I was contacted today by their customer service person, and the resolution was 100% satisfactory. I know the company has been under some doubt as to the level of customer service, but in my case, it was honestly fantastic. Had it not been, I would have posted the facts of that as well. I am quick to speak out about bad service (from any company) but also believe that credit needs to be given , where credit is due..rsbhunter

I just had a pretty good experience with Estes customer service, too. Made an order, forgot a coupler, called frantically. They'd already shipped but they sent the coupler at a much lower (minimal - $5 - and the box and shipping pillows cost a lot of that) shipping rate.

One thing I don't like about Estes process is that they have a 1.50 charge (above and beyond shipping) involuntarily added to cover, as I understand it, better tracking and insurance. I can track via the carrier, and I really don't think a 30 dollar order needs 1.50 of insurance. Anyway, in the specific case, Estes was very customer friendly.

I'm not a cheerleader for Estes, but as I said, customer service, good or bad, needs to be brought to the consumers attention....if anyone thinks that a company can't be held accountable for their choices, look to Bud light !!!!

I'm glad to hear this. I've had nothing but good experiences with their customer service, but haven't had any recent experiences... and it was sounding like they'd taken a turn for the worse.

Your post gives me hope that recent bad experiences I've read about here are being corrected, and not just the way they intend to do things from now on.

Last edited:
Well, I tried to approach this in the right way, not saying others didn't. I sent pictures, dates, weather, etc. I did not try to imply that it was a problem that was caused intentionally. If I get permission to post the details, I will.?but in this case, they treated me like the customer matters.....rsbhunter

Couple months back, they sent me some tubes in a box that was just a hair too small for them. Got squished a bit, particularly new the tube slots. They resolved that in a jiffy, very happy with their service.

Well, I've seen people get mad , saying, "they didn't do that for me" , or " they wanted me to pay to replace that". Different situations. I'll just leave it that they gave excellent customer service in my case. rsbhunter

Well, they "used to" give you a new kit and motors for CATOS, but not in the latest reports.

We wanted to know if they went back to the old policy, and if so need to know from customer reports.

Well, they "used to" give you a new kit and motors for CATOS, but not in the latest reports.

We wanted to know if they went back to the old policy, and if so need to know from customer reports.
You're correct, and I sang their praises about it in the past. More recently, I had 2 CATO's at our Jan 2024 launch. One Big Daddy, and the other a scratch built Christmas tree built around an ole Extreme 12. Both blown up pretty good. (here's the Tree: )

So I submitted with pictures, video, the whole nine yards. They accepted the messages and issued a number. Then nothing. Long story short, I repeatedly sent emails to keep the issue "alive" for about 2 months. After posting a rather negative post about them on here, they must have read it and they finally acted. Sent me a new Big Daddy, a pack of E12's (the offending engine) and a box of parts (basically the ARC kit from this year) to make up for the lost tree.

So while I wish it hadn't taken 2 months and a bunch of emails and posts, the resolution was in keeping with their former customer service. I have other issues with Estes these days, but the end result here was good. Not easy, but good.

I fly my Big Daddy with the Aerotech E20-7.. saw a few Estes E12's CATO or chuff at our launches and wanted no part of that.

It seems like the biggest issue isn't with Estes itself, but with the customer service system they switched to. The people have been lovely to speak with since I returned to rocketry. Everything I read about the issues all seem to center around people submitting to this new ticketing system and then not getting anything. If you actually get the humans, they seem to be great.

I never had the need to speak to anybody...The whole matter was resolved within 3 or 4 days. Had it not, elevating to the next step or not would have been my choice...but, for the price of two people eating at McDonalds or any other fast food place, I would have to really weigh the worth of loss/gain . rsbhunter

You're correct, and I sang their praises about it in the past. More recently, I had 2 CATO's at our Jan 2024 launch. One Big Daddy, and the other a scratch built Christmas tree built around an ole Extreme 12. Both blown up pretty good. (here's the Tree: )

So I submitted with pictures, video, the whole nine yards. They accepted the messages and issued a number. Then nothing. Long story short, I repeatedly sent emails to keep the issue "alive" for about 2 months. After posting a rather negative post about them on here, they must have read it and they finally acted. Sent me a new Big Daddy, a pack of E12's (the offending engine) and a box of parts (basically the ARC kit from this year) to make up for the lost tree.

So while I wish it hadn't taken 2 months and a bunch of emails and posts, the resolution was in keeping with their former customer service. I have other issues with Estes these days, but the end result here was good. Not easy, but good.

I ordered a 3" Goblin back before Christmas during their sale along with the Black Brant and I didn't get around to it until mid January and the slotted body tube was unusable, had a very big bubble in it that would've been seen regardless of how many paint coats there were. Sent them a picture, when it was purchased, and model number and they sent me a plain old 3" tube to replace it. Now I can slot tubes but a 3" one is hard to do when you don't have a printer to print a wrap big enough. Sent them another email with another picture saying the tube I was sent was unslotted and needed to be the slotted one that comes in the kit, even sent them another picture of the kit tube to clarify. They apologize and send out another tube. Guess what it was..... yep another unslotted 3" tube. Got a bit fed up and emailed them again asking if the person grabbing the tubes can't tell the difference between slotted and unslotted. Got another generic reply and never heard anything back. By that time I had said screw it and managed to used a 3D printed fin alignment tool I had to make some rough slots in one of the non-slotted tube. Blasted them on Facebook and got another generic reply via Messenger but I told them to kick rocks and that their customer service from years past was far superior.

Years ago I had a dual E9 cato in a LOC Viper and they sent me replacement motors and two kits of my choice even though the rocket that was damaged was not theirs. That was the level of customer service people kept crowing about so I was very disappointed when they couldn't even send me the correct tube for their original mistake.

In the past year, I've ordered parts from Estes. Twice the parts have come damaged. Not damaged in shipping, the external boxes were undamaged. The parts inside were crushed. They had to have been damaged at / by Estes prior to shipment. That alone is inexcusable. Twice in the last couple years, I've ordered kits from Estes, they shipped the wrong kits. One of those times, Estes sent out the correct replacement, once they sent the wrong kit again. Three times in the last couple years, I've had shipments from Estes just disappear in transit.

All of these times my experience with Estes customer service was rough to say the least.

If I'm working on a project and I can't get what I need from anyone other than Estes, I re-evaluate the project.

It's going to take a lot more than a few reports of good experience with Estes to get them out of the #1 spot on my *splat* list.

In the past year, I've ordered parts from Estes. Twice the parts have come damaged. Not damaged in shipping, the external boxes were undamaged. The parts inside were crushed. They had to have been damaged at / by Estes prior to shipment. That alone is inexcusable. Twice in the last couple years, I've ordered kits from Estes, they shipped the wrong kits. One of those times, Estes sent out the correct replacement, once they sent the wrong kit again. Three times in the last couple years, I've had shipments from Estes just disappear in transit.

All of these times my experience with Estes customer service was rough to say the least.

If I'm working on a project and I can't get what I need from anyone other than Estes, I re-evaluate the project.

It's going to take a lot more than a few reports of good experience with Estes to get them out of the #1 spot on my *splat* list.
I think Estes as a company has gotten too big for how big their workforce is. They're a largish business with the work crew of a small business and it's starting to show in their customer service and kit quality.

I had great service with the 7 CATOs I had and their warranty replacements, but this last one is taking almost a month soo far and after 5 case numbers with no response other than the cases are "solved" and closed. Something happened recently. I stick up for the E-12s because I always got good warranty service, I may have to move on.

Placing an order for Quest/Aerotech composites tonight. I still like Estes motors but will no longer use them in my nicer rockets until my current warranty claim is settled. If it's never settled Estes motors will only be used occasionally in Junker rockets until my stash runs out. It's a shame, they used to be great until recently.

Placing an order for Quest/Aerotech composites tonight. I still like Estes motors but will no longer use them in my nicer rockets until my current warranty claim is settled. If it's never settled Estes motors will only be used occasionally in Junker rockets until my stash runs out. It's a shame, they used to be great until recently.
I hope you didn't order QJets. Those aren't much better than Estes motors in terms of catoes

Today I received an E-mail and Estes is being more than fair with my issue. I'm hoping they're just having a bad week. Estes has always been great to deal with and I love BP motors.

Back