Demon seed.... Estes 13mm motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And even though I've received the replacements, I've since flown two more A3-4Ts from the suspect date code with no problems. I will likely continue to do so with the remaining ones.

Less sure about A10-0Ts.

I was at Sixty Acres yesterday and a family was there who had an A10-3T blow the nozzle out. It was a several years older motor. I encouraged them to both file a MESS report and contact Estes. The model involved was a little mostly plastic E2X type that lost a fin. Easy fix.

The recent launch where 3/4 blew, were A10-0T in a 2 stage booster. They basically blew just off the launch rod, and the 2nd lit OK. So no real harm, just a crappy low altitude flight. Also had an A3-4T blow, but it's long in the garbage and I don't know the date code... Might have the remnants of the pack somewhere.

Hans.

Doing a simple 13mm MD or even 18mm that's long enough to be stable chad staged would be a low-risk way to get rid of A10-0Ts without just soaking them. Heck, just chad them on the back of an Alpha. It's so stable, it should work well and be slightly more interesting than usual. And nothing around the questionable motors to get damaged if they blow.

Last edited:
Doing a simple 13mm MD or even 18mm that's long enough to be stable chad staged would be a low-risk way to get rid of A10-0Ts without just soaking them. Heck, just chad them on the back of an Alpha. It's so stable, it should work well and be slightly more interesting than usual. And nothing around the questionable motors to get damaged if they blow.
Just ordered the 18mm Vortico to accompany my 24mm version. I'll adapt it for 13mm and let'r rip.

Hans,

Stack up three of the A10-0T in a Quad Factor and watch them all go at the same time.

1687479361975.png

I used two flights of Sharknader to burn two dozen old 13mm A10-0's & 5's I inherited somehow. No big deal when one Catoed on the first flight, just put one stack out of sequence. Don't fear the Estes CATO! Embrace them and burn them all up in silly, disposable oddrocs!
View attachment 587968
I think I need further details.... This looks really cool.

I assume it's a regular Estes kit, right? 😏

Hans.

I think I need further details.... This looks really cool.

I assume it's a regular Estes kit, right? 😏

Hans.
This is here on the forum under Sharknader. It is a scratcher built from scrap Estes parts and a hardware store dowel, not a kit. The head Estes designer likes my builds and the colossal amount of motors they burn (big profits for Estes!), but they will never be kits due to something he calls "The idiot factor."

Always design your clustered rockets to withstand multiple CATOS when using Estes motors. After multiple CATOS I had to retire Whooshing Crane
FB_IMG_1626664268856.jpg
FB_IMG_1626664247880.jpg
FB_IMG_1625999336256.jpg
You must be brave and strong to fly these low and mid powered BP motors. Like Mamma told me in high school: "STAY AWAY FROM THE BAD DATES!" :)

Last edited:
Daddyisabar doesn't do kits.
The Jedi made me build many kits as a youngling before I could modify, kit bash or scratch build. I love the ease of kits. It is fun even when they CATO. Repairing/rebuilding is fun!

We can rebuild him, we have the technology. Just need Six MILLION DOLLARS in early 70's currency! :)

I wonder if this wrinkle in the side of all my suspect date code A10-0T's is related to the cato issue. Like, maybe, the cases were a touch too large, and the Mini Mabel Machine squished them some causing some internal damage???

A10-0T.jpg

Hans.

Does anyone know if Estes will also replace rockets destroyed by one of these CATO's? My Indicator CATO'd so bad it burned through the kevlar, and badly burned the tube. My Mini A Heli was just as bad. The schorching was severe enough I can't even get the motor out, but you can see the "H21 10" where the tube has peeled away.

Does anyone know if Estes will also replace rockets destroyed by one of these CATO's? My Indicator CATO'd so bad it burned through the kevlar, and badly burned the tube. My Mini A Heli was just as bad. The schorching was severe enough I can't even get the motor out, but you can see the "H21 10" where the tube has peeled away.
If it's an Estes kit they will replace both motor and rocket, or offer a comparable replacement.

Yep, Yesterday 1 out of a pack of 4 A10-3T's code # H21 10 21 "Roman Candle'd" my Estes Mini Fat-Boy shooting itself backward out of the motor-mount, burning up the motor-mount, tearing out the motor-mount-retainer-hook while launching some burning time delay and ejection charge out the top. I'll be posting this on www.mororcato.org MESS Reports soon.

This is only the newest batch (and manufacture code date) of bad A10-3T's I've hade where 1 or 2 motors out of a pack of 4 has CATO'd.

Since I really like small and cheap and easy to transport rockets, the A10-3T has been one of my long term favorites but I'm really getting "gun-shy" about using them or, coming up with some sort of CATO-proof motor mounts in my little rockets.

Yep, Yesterday 1 out of a pack of 4 A10-3T's code # H21 10 21 "Roman Candle'd" my Estes Mini Fat-Boy shooting itself backward out of the motor-mount, burning up the motor-mount, tearing out the motor-mount-retainer-hook while launching some burning time delay and ejection charge out the top. I'll be posting this on www.mororcato.org MESS Reports soon.

This is only the newest batch (and manufacture code date) of bad A10-3T's I've hade where 1 or 2 motors out of a pack of 4 has CATO'd.

Since I really like small and cheap and easy to transport rockets, the A10-3T has been one of my long term favorites but I'm really getting "gun-shy" about using them or, coming up with some sort of CATO-proof motor mounts in my little rockets.
Will an Estes A3-4T work as a substitute? With the lower thrust, I'm guessing it'll be a little bit less likely to CATO?

Latest posts

Back