Weird Open Rocket Happenings With 13 mm Estes Engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The large variation in static CG/CP relationship is what I was alerted by and why I went to the Estes motor data first. That's when I asked here, as I expected very static stability change.

With the 'new' A10 data loaded the stability change between A3 and A10 is essentially zero, more like the expected result.

Absolutely. Anecdotally I always test a new 13 mm rocket with an A10 before I fly with an A3. The final altitude is slightly less, but the initial thrust is higher with the A10.

BTW, 13 mm motors are great and underrated by a lot of people. Four flights for the price of three!
Yup, basically with a cheap Estes adapter (or easy enough to make) the A10-3T can be used to replace the A8-3.
And at 5.25 grams plus adapter (mine is 4.4 grams, it has a piece of Mylar tape to keep the sides together although not needed) the total is 9.65 grams, compared to 16.35 grams for the A8.

HOWEVER, the A8s sell in a bulk pack, so if you fly a lot and use those, the price difference may go away.

from AC supply

4 A10-3T for $6.17. So about $1.54@ piece?

24 bulk pack $43.19, so is $1.79

so still come out ahead with the A10

at hobby lobby the bulk pack of A8-3s is $39.99, so $1.67,
the A10-3T is $6.99 for 4, so $1.74, so a few pennies ahead with the bulk pack.

although what I DO like about the bulk packs is they come with wadding and 36 instead of 12 igniters, the latter a big plus in my opinion.

In Oz we can get prices as low as AC Supply, but it's called shoplifting and frowned on by vendors and the constabulary.

The going price for a bulk pack of 24 A8-3 is $125 ($92 US). A pack of four A10-3T is $26 ($19 US). If anyone ever wonders why rocketry isn't more popular over here it's basically financial. :(

In Oz we can get prices as low as AC Supply, but it's called shoplifting and frowned on by vendors and the constabulary.

The going price for a bulk pack of 24 A8-3 is $125 ($92 US). A pack of four A10-3T is $26 ($19 US). If anyone ever wonders why rocketry isn't more popular over here it's basically financial. :(
I guess that’s why I read a lot of water rocket accomplishments from down under. They haven’t jacked up the price of water quite as much.

Back