Estes 2157 Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your rocket looks splendid ;) Do you still have the plastic engine bells to liven up your motor tubes? It will of course work great without them:) I am glad if one of my pictures helped you top get going on such a great looking saturn V. Keep up the good work :)
Cheers
Bill

Thanks Fred.

I do have the plastic bells, but with this configuration I don't think they will fit. I'm going to try though. The bells on yours really give it a nice look, with flames coming from all 5!

As I said I started this back in 2000, before I had what little skill I have now. Some mistakes were made. The service module is to short, I have to look into adding about 1/2 inch to it. If I was to build it again I would add a kevlar shock cord to the upper main centering ring. I have not given up on that mod yet.

I'm just about ready to mount the fin cans on. I think CA glue will work with the resin parts.

In the picture all you see are clouds though which did indeed drop snow if memory serves :)
Cheers
Fred

Ah, Ok... I had trouble seeing it when I clicked the picture... I'm not particularly fond of this new 'picture in picture' feature on here, I much prefer they open in a new window so I can zoom in on em... I finally left clicked and 'opened in a new window' and blew it up and I get the perspective much better now... it's the underside of the clouds with the horizon just off-shot at the bottom of the pic. Very nice.

Yall are tempting me to make my recently arrived Zooch Saturn V a 5 engine 13mm cluster... :) OL JR :)

Thanks Fred.

I do have the plastic bells, but with this configuration I don't think they will fit. I'm going to try though. The bells on yours really give it a nice look, with flames coming from all 5!

As I said I started this back in 2000, before I had what little skill I have now. Some mistakes were made. The service module is to short, I have to look into adding about 1/2 inch to it. If I was to build it again I would add a kevlar shock cord to the upper main centering ring. I have not given up on that mod yet.

I'm just about ready to mount the fin cans on. I think CA glue will work with the resin parts.

One question?? Why didn't you 'clock' the four outboards to line up with the fin/F-1 fairings?? Or am I looking at it wrong??

I don't see how you could use the F-1 nozzles with this setup, unless you just make 'fakes with ony the outer halves... seems to me that the motors would have had to been spaced out to the centers of the outboard F-1's to be able to use the nozzles, but I may be wrong... :)

I think you did a good thing with the vertical buttresses from the motor mount to the wall-- did you use balsa here or posterboard?? Making vertical 'struts' on a motor mount really stiffens it up-- strength from shape. You can make a motor mount from a cereal box if you have the right gussets in there to stiffen it up... :) and make it really light too... :) OL JR :)

Luke,
The outboards are lined up with the fairings, It's just hard to see it from that
view.
The buttresses are balsa. Your right it really adds stiffness.

If I use the bells It will only be the outer halfs. They will not fit otherwise.

I was going to cut my own rings to move the 13mm out more but I thought
if one did not light the farther from centerline it could cause trouble. Also FlisKits has a very mount kit.

I mounted the fairings tonight. I used thick CA glue with accelerator with good results. It glued the fairings on and made a nice fillet.
I also managed to attach a length of kevlar to the forward center ring. I drilled a small hole, then slid a small dowel with the kevlar tied/glued to it thru, pulled it tight and CA glued it in place. Seemed to work well. I will also use a trifold for the second shock cord.

Man that thing will have them oohing and aahing when you send it up :) Luke would you really cluster the zooch V? That sounds insane enough to be fun if you could make it stable :)
Cheers
fred

My Sat V has a similar powerplant to your idea but four 18mm instead of 13. I use four C6-5's and a centre D12-5. I think your rocket will fly well and with all the sound advice you have received so far the cluster aspect should be fine :)

Wow FRED!
That has got to be one of the greatest Saturn-V model flight shots I've ever Seen!!!! I've got to borrow that one if you don't mind... Please can you tell me who took it and exactly when. Simply georgous!

Wow FRED!
That has got to be one of the greatest Saturn-V model flight shots I've ever Seen!!!! I've got to borrow that one if you don't mind... Please can you tell me who took it and exactly when. Simply georgous!
Thas easy John. I did June of last year. I'm glad you like it. If it is of any use to you Im glad :)
Cheers
Fred

Man that thing will have them oohing and aahing when you send it up :) Luke would you really cluster the zooch V? That sounds insane enough to be fun if you could make it stable :)
Cheers
fred

Yeah, I just might be nuts enough to try it... I just got a Zooch Saturn V last week, and I saw somewhere around here or another board where someone had put 5 13mm tubes into a BT-60, so it should work if they'll all fit... main thing is, as you said, getting the thing balanced enough for a stable flight, which means NOSEWEIGHT and lots of it!!!

IIRC the discussion also wandered into the different motor combos that would work for it... main snag would seem to be the short delays on those size motors...

I'll have to look up that thread... It got me thinking... :) OL JR :)

Talking about clustering the Saturn's, here's the "business end" of my vintage
K-36 Saturn - V as it appeared while under construction (sorry for the messy
appearance of my workspace); will use an E9 for the core and four C6's for
the outboards....:D Model is finished; just gotta get around to flying it (maybe this year, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Apollo - 11).

K-36 Saturn - V Build & Progress 002.jpg

Talking about clustering the Saturn's, here's the "business end" of my vintage
K-36 Saturn - V as it appeared while under construction (sorry for the messy
appearance of my workspace); will use an E9 for the core and four C6's for
the outboards....:D Model is finished; just gotta get around to flying it (maybe this year, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Apollo - 11).

That thing will go like h e double hockey sticks when you put it up :) Nice :)
Cheers
fred

Yeah, I just might be nuts enough to try it... I just got a Zooch Saturn V last week, and I saw somewhere around here or another board where someone had put 5 13mm tubes into a BT-60, so it should work if they'll all fit... main thing is, as you said, getting the thing balanced enough for a stable flight, which means NOSEWEIGHT and lots of it!!!

Luke... remember the squibs...

Major construction is finished! I'll get some photos up soon. I still have to glue the second shock cord in, and the top cord attach. I can't find the small brass rod to make the attach, have to stop by the hobby shop to find a replacement.

This is one impressive rocket. I don't even know how to do it justice in a photo.

I've made my share of mistakes on it, but even so-man it looks cool!

I hope to get some primer on it soon. Painting this thing is going to be fun!

Let me be the first to compliment you on a job coming along great. The roll pattern will look great :) I also like where it is pointed :)
Cheers
fred

Let me be the second then :)
Looks real sharp!:cool:
Cant wait to see it painted next....:D

Geez Fred, the pics just keep getting better and better! That's a new one, isn't it? I don't recall seeing that one before. Well, looks like my computer at work will have a new background!!! ;)

Geez Fred, the pics just keep getting better and better! That's a new one, isn't it? I don't recall seeing that one before. Well, looks like my computer at work will have a new background!!! ;)

I'm glad you like it;) Wait till we see Marks :)
Cheers
Fred

Well Fred it won't look as nice as yours, your flight photos are among the best I've seen. Maybe I can get Jim Flis to take the photo, he always gets good photos at the CMASS launches.

Well Fred it won't look as nice as yours, your flight photos are among the best I've seen. Maybe I can get Jim Flis to take the photo, he always gets good photos at the CMASS launches.
I think it will be at least as nice and you get Jim to take the picture :)
Cheers
fred

Just a quick update.

I got a coat of primmer on yesterday. I have to sand one small run, then I'm going to let it sit for a while to really dry. After reading the thread about the new krylon paint I don't want to take any chances.

After reading the thread on the new Krylon formula, I have been worrying about painting the Saturn. I read that you can still get the old krylon formula through Grainger. Yesterday I bought 5 cans of lacquer gloss white and 1 can of gloss black for the mighty Saturn. It arrived today. Maybe next week I can get a base coat of white and get this rocket finished.

After reading the thread on the new Krylon formula, I have been worrying about painting the Saturn. I read that you can still get the old krylon formula through Grainger. Yesterday I bought 5 cans of lacquer gloss white and 1 can of gloss black for the mighty Saturn. It arrived today. Maybe next week I can get a base coat of white and get this rocket finished.

Yeah, I'm with you... better to leave the new Krapola in the store and buy some decent paint.

Ya know what irks me about the change in Krylon?? It's that they didn't just switch formulations-- when the gov't shoots you out of the saddle they can be forgiven for that... it's that from everything I've seen and heard, the new formulation is just SO crappy... I mean, honestly, can't they make a GOOD enamel paint?? So from what I've seen I'll just stick with the Walmart House brand at 99 cents a can for primer, black, and white, and then figure out what I want to do for color selections...

Geesh! OL JR :)

Have you thought about using testors model paints? I did a lot of masking and used spray cans and it worked great.
Cheers
fred

I was going to use Testors for the black, but I figured it would take too many cans of the white at $7 a pop. I was going to get out my airbrush for the SV until I saw the Grainger deal. I ordered the black just because the white was coming.

Luke, is the Walmart brand a lacquer? If so I hope it stays that way.

I was going to use Testors for the black, but I figured it would take too many cans of the white at $7 a pop. I was going to get out my airbrush for the SV until I saw the Grainger deal. I ordered the black just because the white was coming.

Luke, is the Walmart brand a lacquer? If so I hope it stays that way.

Man that's. A shock :) Testors is way cheaper at 5 dollars a can up here :) Can't wait to see it painted with fire coming out the end :) How are you going to fire it up Mark?
Cheers
Fred

Back