Doorknob Nose Cone weight addition?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the nose cone tube to add weight to the Doorknob and any suggestions on how you attach or build the bulkhead and attach it to the nosecone for easy access to the nose cone tube for adding weight. Several bulkheads and body tubes included in the kit but no real directions on attaching them or installing them. Plan on attaching the upper body tube to the lower and just have the nose cone eject. Not planning on dual deploy like some. It seems to use the nose cone weight system you will be attaching the upper body tube to the nose cone and not deplying just the nose cone. Any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sterk03

Well, what kit are you talking about?

Must not be the Estes kit, as it has no bulkheads and extra tubes. I have a LOC Doorknob from Long ago and no nose weight parts came in the kit. However it could use some, I used a large Skyangle parachute that added the weight up front on launch.

I am guessing a Newer LOC since you mention a weight kit? My older LOC was all one body tube.

I did the 5.5 in version, it works well. The above instructions are what I followed. I suggest you dry fit the parts several times before getting out the glue to familiarize yourself with the procedure. I would also grind a little bit off of the points of the plywood nuts, they are too long and will damage the forward face of the bulkhead when pounded in.
I have this kit, if I were making it for single deployment I would not attach the 16" tube permanently to the nose cone, but rather to the main body tube.

It’s the latest version with the long narrow tube and some bulkheads for the weights in the nose cone or that’s what I get out of it. I plan yo use the upper and lower tube as one. So attaching the nose cone with or without the weighted narrow tube inserted in the nose cone but to install a bulkhead to the nose cone for the eyelet is not what I’m seeing or what parts I have to fit the cone and be able to adhere to the end and yet be able to get to the weighted tube insert.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
  • IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5609.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5607.jpeg
    IMG_5607.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
The bulkhead doesn't fit on the end, you turn it sideways, insert it into the nosecone past the internal "hump" and then turn it flat and pull it back until it engages with the internal discontinuity. I hope that's clear...
The bulkhead will be down in the nose cone about 4-5 inches when installed correctly. It was an AhHah moment for me when I figured it out.

You have 2 bulkheads with 4 holes, the one with the larger center hole is the one that gets the nuts and is installed as I outline above. The other one blocks off the tube where the weight ends up and has a smaller hole for the shock cord to pass through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I did try once to get the bulkhead into the nosecone and went in sidewise ok but could not turn it. That was early on and i forgot about it, as I learned most of the bulkheads were much wider then would fit and took some sanding to get them to fit. I just forgot that. I was unsure of the big long tube and to couplers? I figured you could put the weight into the long tube to hit the tip of the nose cone and put one coupler with a bulhead to keep it forward but now I see the use of the second one. I also have another larger bulkhead with a U shaped harness holder and could not figure where you would use that unless you were attahing the upper body to the nose cone in which i am not doing that both body tubes will be one. The smaller eyeletwill be used as per instructions although to me the double ilet would be much stronger. Ok options available for different setups.

Thanks again for the pics.

Sterk03

I put the long internal weight tube [with weight and eyelet] in the front, the shorter one is just a spacer that the shock cord runs through. You can get additional weight tubes for various weights...
On the 5.5 in long nose version, there are 3 weight tubes, so you can use one or two weights, and the third is still the spacer.
I will say I have never had to sand any Loc bulkhead to get it to fit, so your experience seems atypical.
Edit:
I was at a launch today, I am sorry I could not reply to OP's PM. This video shows how it works when correctly assembled:

Back