Canadians going to LDRS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Any fellow Canadians going to LDRS?

Wondering who, if any. wondering if anyone has questions about the border & all.. and routes to take..

I assume those east of (and including Kingston) will be crossing at Watertown, and those in TO will be going thru Buffalo..

roll call! :D

Yes, I'll be there, look for a Canadian flag & Quebec plates!

Border officer “why do you have rockets in your vehicle”

Canadian “I’m attending an international launch”

border officer “likely story”…

Ps but really I’d be interested in how that goes down?

@NTP2
its easier to get into the US with rockets than into canada..

funny story: (in my head at least..)
I was crossing it the US one day [monthly rocket launch], and the border guard asked the usual questions.. This was at the major crossing at Champlain NY; multi-lanes, 10-20 minute wait, that type of thing..

"Model rockets? Like the Estes ones?"
"yeah, some a ea litel bigger though.."
"How big? can I see?"
"Sure, they're in the trunk" pops trunk..
"He has a big smile, and it point to them, we start taking about them.. Then he pulls the 2" PML AMRAAM out, to give it a good look over. He's curious for himself at this point, no longer "a security concern" as we talk.
A big smile on both our faces, he wishes me a good day, lets me go..

I can just imagine the car behind me: "holly crap, he had missiles in his car!!!! and they let him through!!!!!"

I'm going, still need to figure out exactly what I will be flying. Kingston area so I cross at the 1000 island bridge. Haven't had any issues with crossing the border for URRG launches before. Just tell em I'm going to a rocket club launch event and they send me on my way.

@NTP2
its easier to get into the US with rockets than into canada..

funny story: (in my head at least..)
I was crossing it the US one day [monthly rocket launch], and the border guard asked the usual questions.. This was at the major crossing at Champlain NY; multi-lanes, 10-20 minute wait, that type of thing..

"Model rockets? Like the Estes ones?"
"yeah, some a ea litel bigger though.."
"How big? can I see?"
"Sure, they're in the trunk" pops trunk..
"He has a big smile, and it point to them, we start taking about them.. Then he pulls the 2" PML AMRAAM out, to give it a good look over. He's curious for himself at this point, no longer "a security concern" as we talk.
A big smile on both our faces, he wishes me a good day, lets me go..

I can just imagine the car behind me: "holly crap, he had missiles in his car!!!! and they let him through!!!!!"
I have had the privledge of crossing the US/Canada border by car a couple of times (I don't enjoy the airport version. . . ).

It has always been easy to get into Canada and often a little more tedious to get back to the US.

The most funny story (of a few) I have was crossing into Canada after visiting Bar-Harbor, Maine. We were in a rental car, my wife was driving and I was tired. The border agent asked if we were bringing in any (*something*, not sure the words, but basically food or similar). My wife pretty much panic'd, answered him "yeaaaah????" and he asked what we were bringing in. She said "Whoopie-Pies???" as she bought 6 Whoopie-Pies (lemon/Blueberry, pretty tasty, honestly. . .). He looked at her strangely and asked how many. She said "I don't know, 4 or 5. . . I've had a few on the trip already." He shook his head, I'm sure thinking 'stupid [use your own words] American tourist' and told us to get going. My wife was white knuckle driving for the next handful of miles. I imagine she was seeing an international warrant with her picture for 'smuggling'. They were good Whoopie-Pies, though.

So, I don't remember the specific crossing we took, but be careful on your journey. Consume all Whoopie-Pies on the way home if you buy any of that contraband while in the US.

A few of us old-timers from the now-defunct NAPAS club (Toronto) are going down, mostly to spectate. My L3 lapsed years ago along with my TRA membership. Looking forward to it!

A few of us will be heading down from Ottawa. I'll be crossing at Ogdensburg since I had a bunch of stuff shipped there so it doesn't need to cross the border.

when I was in my 30's i was staying in NH and decided to ride my bicycle to Derby Line. you know, Kiss the boarder but stay on the right side. I carefully plotted out a set of directions. Off I went, got about 15 miles away and caught up to another cyclist about my age. You know what happened next, we were racing down route 5. We crest this little rise at a full sprint and i caught major air - from the crest and the steep drop off on the other side. We were both airborne as we crossed the international boundary! The Canadian boundary matron just stood there as we landed and split her. We rolled back and the other guy was Canadian. He showed his passport and rode away. I wasn't planning anything of the sort, so I had no id whatsoever. She just laughed and shooed me up the hill. I made it maybe 30 feet into Canada. The American Border guys, who obviously saw the entire thing, and harassed me for about 30 minutes before letting me cross.

Back