Composite Nose Cone Mold from 3D-Printed Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eJar0k

Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I have a couple of wild projects lined up for this year, including a spicy flight at BALLS that I'm working up to over the next few months. I'd like to have basically every part on these builds be custom composites, and, since I'll be cracking Mach 3 on some flights, I'd like to seriously improve my manufacturing skills. Supersonic re-kitting and remote fence pole deployment are... not fun... so I want input from the composites gurus here.

I already have solid experience working with braided carbon and FG sleeves from Soller Composites, but getting a good surface finish, consistent outer mold line, and controlled thickness with them can be challenging on nose cones. Rocketry might be 80% sanding, but I'm naïve enough to think I can reduce it with a traditional split mold. After doing some research, including looking at @watheyak's excellent nose cone molding thread/L record build and a lot of Easy Composites videos, I think I have a decent plan for producing good composite tooling and nose cones without a CNC mill or lathe. Here's my thinking:

First, limits. No CNC mill, no CNC lathe, no turning abrasives on a manual lathe. I don't have my own lathe, and any lathes I could use are off-limits for FG/carbon. I could order parts from services like PCBWay/JLCPCB, but that's pushing my next limit: I want to keep the cost per mold reasonably low so I can iterate quickly and cringe less at the motors I'll be buying. Next, I'd like to avoid prepreg if possible, both due to cost/MOQ and not having a temp-controlled cure oven. If I can make this work with sleeve+wet layup, the technique gets much easier and more accessible. Vacuum bagging is a maybe, but that adds to the equipment cost and consumables; this is a budget and accessibility question. Lastly, I want to leverage FDM 3D printing as much as possible to get decent dimensional accuracy and quick iteration. This means oven-curing the mold itself might be impossible.

Next, requirements. The nose outer mold line, wall thickness, and shoulder ID need to be well-constrained, and the surface finish should be as smooth as possible coming out of the mold. My builds will be mostly non-standard diameters/thicknesses (submin, i.e. matching case diameter) and going very fast, so these parts need to mate well to my "airframes". I want minimal post-processing and no lathe ops. Next, the parts have to be strong... duh. My part's resin should be able to tank aero heating for Mach 3 flights, and the fiber reinforcement should be optimized for flight loads (thinking about recent nose failures at BALLS). Lastly, I want to be able to apply this to a number of sizes and profiles, e.g. 38mm-98mm, VK, conical, 4:1-7:1, integrated straight sections.

With that said, here is my first draft. Brace yourself for some MS Paint, because I don't feel like opening SolidWorks yet.

Tooling mold cross section:
Design Sketch.png
1. [Red/Pink] An exact profile of the nose half is printed in PLA/ABS/ASA with mirrored indexing features and sanded to mostly knock down layer lines. Print axis is perpendicular to the split plane, i.e. up in the drawing.
2. [Light grey] The surface is coated with a thin layer of laminating resin or a similarly thin, tough epoxy, left to gel, and recoated once or twice again. This is then sanded nearly back to the print , going up to around 1000 grit. Next, the surface is polished with a cutting compound, something like NW1. I have to take care not to round out the inner corners or indexing features here. A few coats of mold release are then applied, either something like Partall Paste #2/Hi-Temp Wax or Frekote 700NC.
3. [Dark grey/Black] A layer of gelcoat, probably Proline 4500 (used in its intended purpose!), is applied to the whole surface. Carbon tows are wet out with gelcoat and packed into the mold corners for reinforcement. After the first coat gels, the surface is recoated a few times, making sure large radii are built up on the indexing features and corners. I'm not sure whether to apply the tows in the first or subsequent coats here.
4. [Light blue] Once the gelcoat.. gels.. a layer of fiberglass or carbon is laid up onto the mold. I think I would first apply a layer or two of light glass, 1-2oz, then several layers of heavier glass, 6-12oz. 6oz or heavier carbon is also an option for better stiffness here. After gelling, the edges are trimmed square.
5. The tool is demolded and cleaned up as needed, and the process is repeated to make the other half.

Done well, I should end up with two mold halves that fit together perfectly.
Design Sketch Halves.png

Next, the plug. This is far simpler and takes directly from my prior experience.
Plug Sketch.png
1. [Red/Pink] An exact profile of the nose interior is printed, i.e. the nose profile minus the intended wall thickness. A hole runs down the center for a threaded rod, dark grey.
2. [Light grey] The surface is coated with laminating resin, sanded, polished, and release coated identically to the tooling mold. This also could be gelcoated, but I'm not sure.

Next, layup. One big issue with braided sleeve is that it has a limited range of diameters it can expand/contract to, meaning that a nose's base and tip diameters can't be too dissimilar. You can coax the fibers beyond the listed minimum diameter by aligning them more towards the nose tip, but this dramatically increases its thickness. If you want more consistent thickness, you have to manufacture a pretty huge nose tip, which can get very long and heavy for high LD profiles. My solution is to use multiple sizes of sleeve and have them overlap in alternating layers, giving a staggered concentric seam. Once compacted in the mold, the seams should flatten out and give a clean, strong transition between the two sleeve diameters. The challenge here is not having big gaps filled by resin in the joint. More MS Paint!
Layup Sketch.png
The hardest part will probably laying up the seam and minimizing gaps between each pair of sleeves without bunching up fibers. Inserting the plug into the mold without distorting the weave will be the next hardest step. Once laid up and inserted into the mold halves, I have a few options:

1. Curing under no compression. Probably the worst option, but also the easiest. Take a mold half, drop in the plug, attach the other half, secure together, then jam the plug down to consolidate a little and let cure.
2. Curing under bolted compression. Not much harder, but could be messed up. Assemble as usual, but then use the threaded rod running down the plug to compress the plug against the mold axially. By extending the rod out the top end of the mold and tightening a nut down, the layup gets some mechanical compression. This requires the mold haves to be bolted together or similar.
3. Curing under vacuum. More equipment, more consumables, but probably the best result. Lay up, assemble, bolt halves together, run breather to each end, bag, suck. However, I have no idea how a printed plug with partial infill would handle under vacuum, given the trapped air inside.

Once cured, I demold, trim, clean up, and post-cure if needed. Overall, I think I could make a full mold set in about a week, then pump out lots of consistent tip-less noses from them. I'm left with lots of questions before starting, however, and I want to save myself a few botched attempts.

- Does the workflow make sense overall to those who have made split molds before?
- Has anyone tried doing similar parts with sleeve?
- What mold releases are best? I'm leaning towards Frekote 700NC, but I have had good results with Partall Paste #2 before.
- Carbon tow reinforcement in the first or subsequent layers of gel coat? Are they even needed with something like Proline?
- Polishing compound recommendations for epoxy? NW1 is just what I've seen in Easy Composites videos.
- What reinforcement should the mold get? Glass, carbon? How many layers? What weights? Should I use lighter weights to conform to the surface, then build with heavier weights? Can a single weight suffice?
- How do I design the indexing features? My current thought is a frustum with a pretty sharp draft angle (30-45 deg?), rounded edges, and a match-drilled bolt hole.
- Can this be vacuum bagged with a printed plug? Any good references for bagging nose molds?
- Should the plug be coated with gelcoat or laminating resin before sanding/polishing/release coating?
- Is the printed plug a good idea, or are there better methods? Prepreg + tubular vac bag is less labor intensive, but that obviously defeats the point of using sleeve. Making a composite plug, meanwhile, would double the amount of molds I need per part.
- Any resin picks for extreme flights? I'm leaning towards HTR-212, which I've had good experiences with but haven't pushed too fast yet. Cotronics stuff is the next pick, but pricey.
- Should I stop procrastinating on a filament winder instead?

If you made it to the end of this and have input to give, thanks! I would also appreciate links to any RC forums or similar, since I hear their parts are on a whole different level. Basically, sanity check me before I waste my time.

Interesting thoughts on how to make a NC. I am in the same boat with needing to make a Mach 3+ NC for BALLS. I was going to use a WM one but I think I need to take the plunge into rolling my own with the failures I have seen.
I can't help you will most of your questions since I will be learning with you, but I can say I really like working with Cotronics/Duralco 4461. I have used it for a few laminations at this point and it is nice to have the 24hr cure. You get a good 6hrs before it even starts to get thicker so you can take your time with it. Get 2 pint kits at minimum since otherwise you will be paying for a minimum order charge. I have not flown the projects laminated with 4461 yet though. One will be an L1040 at NSL the other is an M1378 at BALLS.

I was looking at making a 3d printed plug for a NC then going around it with 6 pre-cut slices of 6oz FG overlapping the edges around the plug 7 times for around 0.06" wall thickness, then vacuum bagging it. I can trim the edges and make a cast resin tip.
The two mold halves seem like too much of a weak spot to me.
My plan was to specifically oversize the nosecone so it can be sanded to final shape on a jig using a drill and shape reference, essentially carve it to final shape.
My rocket is not sub minimum diameter so I can just laminate on top of the 54mm Wildman nosecone to reinforce it and use that.
I will be interested in seeing what people say about mold releases since that is something I need to research.

Interesting thoughts on how to make a NC. I am in the same boat with needing to make a Mach 3+ NC for BALLS. I was going to use a WM one but I think I need to take the plunge into rolling my own with the failures I have seen.
I can't help you will most of your questions since I will be learning with you, but I can say I really like working with Cotronics/Duralco 4461. I have used it for a few laminations at this point and it is nice to have the 24hr cure. You get a good 6hrs before it even starts to get thicker so you can take your time with it. Get 2 pint kits at minimum since otherwise you will be paying for a minimum order charge. I have not flown the projects laminated with 4461 yet though. One will be an L1040 at NSL the other is an M1378 at BALLS.

I was looking at making a 3d printed plug for a NC then going around it with 6 pre-cut slices of 6oz FG overlapping the edges around the plug 7 times for around 0.06" wall thickness, then vacuum bagging it. I can trim the edges and make a cast resin tip.
The two mold halves seem like too much of a weak spot to me.
My plan was to specifically oversize the nosecone so it can be sanded to final shape on a jig using a drill and shape reference, essentially carve it to final shape.
My rocket is not sub minimum diameter so I can just laminate on top of the 54mm Wildman nosecone to reinforce it and use that.
I will be interested in seeing what people say about mold releases since that is something I need to research.
Awesome flights! I'll also be launching an M1378 at BALLS in a competition against friends. Should be exciting, or very exciting.

How is laminating with 4461? From what I've read, it's not nearly as easy to work with due to its thickness, but it clearly makes good parts. Also, what price did you get those kits at?

I haven't bagged noses yet, but I've heard bagging tubes can make really wrinkly parts, since the bag doesn't contract evenly. Interested to see how your process goes. For what it's worth, I've had decent success just using Partall Paste #2 on PLA and PETG nose cone plugs with fiberglass sleeve. Even without sanding down layer lines, putting down about 6-8 properly applied coats of wax released them after a trip to the freezer and some banging. With better prep, like sanding, gelcoating or filling/priming/painting, and then waxing, I bet they could release much more easily. I'm not familiar with 4461's cure cycle, but if you can get it to cure hard at room temp, you may not have to bother with high temp mold release or nuking your prints.

Awesome flights! I'll also be launching an M1378 at BALLS in a competition against friends. Should be exciting, or very exciting.

How is laminating with 4461? From what I've read, it's not nearly as easy to work with due to its thickness, but it clearly makes good parts. Also, what price did you get those kits at?

I haven't bagged noses yet, but I've heard bagging tubes can make really wrinkly parts, since the bag doesn't contract evenly. Interested to see how your process goes. For what it's worth, I've had decent success just using Partall Paste #2 on PLA and PETG nose cone plugs with fiberglass sleeve. Even without sanding down layer lines, putting down about 6-8 properly applied coats of wax released them after a trip to the freezer and some banging. With better prep, like sanding, gelcoating or filling/priming/painting, and then waxing, I bet they could release much more easily. I'm not familiar with 4461's cure cycle, but if you can get it to cure hard at room temp, you may not have to bother with high temp mold release or nuking your prints.
4461 cures hard at room temp in about 24 hrs, then needs a 4 hour post cure at 250 degrees F. If you sand it before the post cure it needs at least 36 hours otherwise it is still kind of soft, so I think you would not need high temp mold release. My plan was to polish up the 3d printed plug for sure. Using some epoxy to fill it is a great idea and will make that easier. The idea would be that it is re-useable.

What would constitute properly applied coats of wax? By wax do you mean the Partall Paste #2?

I suppose I can skip the bagging part on the NC and just use no compression to see if that works. Makes sense that it would wrinkle. I talked to Adrian at NCR on the 20th and he said he was planning on using the same process to try and make his NC.
I thought about using sand casting aluminum for my NC tip recently as well

I looked but can't find the invoices from Cotronics. From memory:
I believe the pint kits are about $100 each, but the minimum order is $150, so just get 2.
I got the Gallon kit for about $450 because I want to do a lot of laminations with it. Glad I got it because now I can practice a lot, and the same amount in pint kits is over twice the price.

It is thicker than west systems (the only other laminating epoxy I have used) but I didn't have trouble with completely wetting out the carbon and FG I have used it on. I laid out the cloth on a table and wet them out on top of some plastic sheet. I gently used a plastic pallet knife to spread it out and looked underneath the plastic to see where the dry spots were. The nice thing is you can really take your time with it. Then I was able to place the carbon on the airframe for T2T and peel the plastic backing off.
I think I will use perforated Peel Ply on top of the plastic sheet so I can just leave it on and place it directly onto the airframe with no need to peel it off and disturb the fibers. Getting everything straight and the fibers perfectly aligned is proving to be my biggest challenge, along with the fabric lifting off the airframe in the vacuum bag. I was doing 2 layers on all 3 sides vacuum bagged at once. To simplify things I need to try doing 2 layers on one side at a time to try for no lifting. Currently in sanding hell removing the 2 layers of CF from my fins on a failed lamination.
I am very much an amateur using trial and error and learning from others as much as possible.

Last edited:
4461 cures hard at room temp in about 24 hrs, then needs a 4 hour post cure at 250 degrees F. If you sand it before the post cure it needs at least 36 hours otherwise it is still kind of soft, so I think you would not need high temp mold release. My plan was to polish up the 3d printed plug for sure. Using some epoxy to fill it is a great idea and will make that easier. The idea would be that it is re-useable.

What would constitute properly applied coats of wax? By wax do you mean the Partall Paste #2?

I suppose I can skip the bagging part on the NC and just use no compression to see if that works. Makes sense that it would wrinkle. I talked to Adrian at NCR on the 20th and he said he was planning on using the same process to try and make his NC.
I thought about using sand casting aluminum for my NC tip recently as well

I looked but can't find the invoices from Cotronics. From memory:
I believe the pint kits are about $100 each, but the minimum order is $150, so just get 2.
I got the Gallon kit for about $450 because I want to do a lot of laminations with it. Glad I got it because now I can practice a lot, and the same amount in pint kits is over twice the price.

It is thicker than west systems (the only other laminating epoxy I have used) but I didn't have trouble with completely wetting out the carbon and FG I have used it on. I laid out the cloth on a table and wet them out on top of some plastic sheet. I gently used a plastic pallet knife to spread it out and looked underneath the plastic to see where the dry spots were. The nice thing is you can really take your time with it. Then I was able to place the carbon on the airframe for T2T and peel the plastic backing off.
I think I will use perforated Peel Ply on top of the plastic sheet so I can just leave it on and place it directly onto the airframe with no need to peel it off and disturb the fibers. Getting everything straight and the fibers perfectly aligned is proving to be my biggest challenge, along with the fabric lifting off the airframe in the vacuum bag. I was doing 2 layers on all 3 sides vacuum bagged at once. To simplify things I need to try doing 2 layers on one side at a time to try for no lifting. Currently in sanding hell removing the 2 layers of CF from my fins on a failed lamination.
I am very much an amateur using trial and error and learning from others as much as possible.
Yup, Partall Paste #2. The instructions and a tutorial video from Fiberglast show it best--basically, apply a thin layer to the part, let it set for a minute, then buff until glossy. Repeat until a good initial layer is built up, maybe 3-8 coats, then recoat after every use of the mold. Granted, I don't know if it's the best option for either of our processes, but I like it so far. Adding PVA mold release would probably help, but I have yet to try it.

I saw that thread about Adrian's process, and I'm interested to see how it works. It honestly seems a lot easier than making a full split mold! Maybe you can get bagging to work, but be wary of wrinkles.

Thanks for the Cotronics info. I've used Aeropoxy PR2032 and HTR-212; the latter is $80 a quart and has pretty good specs, but not nearly as good as 4461 for high temp parts.

Your process reminds me of a faux-prepreg technique, where you wet out the fabric placed between two plastic sheets and then cut it to size. I like the idea of applying peel ply over top instead for the topmost layer, since you can also cut to size that way. Hope your next attempt works better.

I think I may take a crack at a mold half in the next few weeks and see how it turns out, depending on how busy I am and if I can get all the supplies together.

Yup, Partall Paste #2. The instructions and a tutorial video from Fiberglast show it best--basically, apply a thin layer to the part, let it set for a minute, then buff until glossy. Repeat until a good initial layer is built up, maybe 3-8 coats, then recoat after every use of the mold. Granted, I don't know if it's the best option for either of our processes, but I like it so far. Adding PVA mold release would probably help, but I have yet to try it.
On all my basement mold projects, I use Partall #2 together with (usually) 1 coat of PVA. The PVA is what gives me nice releases, especially on molds with a less than great finish (like my 1 off 3d printed plugs and molds). I paint it on with a chip brush - it looks sloppy when it goes on but dries into a thin smooth film in ~30min with a little desk fan, probably ~2hrs in still air. It's also water soluable, so if a mold doesn't immediately release easily, I run some water over it, trying to get in the cracks, and come back in an hour.

Re Frekote - I have used Frekote at an old shop job I had and it was awesome. Goes on very thin and smooth, releases easily. I've never been particularly interested in it for my hobby stuff because it's pretty expensive, requires an excellent surface finish to work well (which I'm not particularly interested in spending the time on at home) and, if I remember correctly, goes bad pretty quickly (although I've never personally tested).

So far, I've considered all my 3d printed plugs and molds single use, and chalk it up as a win if I get multiple pulls. I've had various struggles with 3d printed mold warping, especially at elevated cure, and getting clean releases that don't damage the plastic too much (usually the mold surface is fine, but the backing breaks). EDIT: Should have read your OP a bit closer, you're printing plug halves and pulling molds. I've been successful with this on RC airplane parts (cut from MDF, not 3d printed). In general, the hard parts are:
  • maintaining a sharp parting line on each half, your epoxy coating, gelcoat etc on the plug tends to fillet the edge. There are various techniques to handle this like leaving a little depression around the whole edge which gets filled with epoxy/filler etc.
  • (as you mentioned) indexing the halves. I've had good luck with bushings inserted during the tool layup. I mentor I had used to use marbles on symmetric parts, inserted after finishing the plug and before laying up the mold - that way he only needed one plug half which he could pull two molds from. IIRC, he was pretty crazy about getting the plug finish around the marble, and how the marble sat perfect.
Cool project, excited to see what you come up with!

Last edited:
On all my basement mold projects, I use Partall #2 together with (usually) 1 coat of PVA. The PVA is what gives me nice releases, especially on molds with a less than great finish (like my 1 off 3d printed plugs and molds). I paint it on with a chip brush - it looks sloppy when it goes on but dries into a thin smooth film in ~30min with a little desk fan, probably ~2hrs in still air. It's also water soluable, so if a mold doesn't immediately release easily, I run some water over it, trying to get in the cracks, and come back in an hour.

Re Frekote - I have used Frekote at an old shop job I had and it was awesome. Goes on very thin and smooth, releases easily. I've never been particularly interested in it for my hobby stuff because it's pretty expensive, requires an excellent surface finish to work well (which I'm not particularly interested in spending the time on at home) and, if I remember correctly, goes bad pretty quickly (although I've never personally tested).

So far, I've considered all my 3d printed plugs and molds single use, and chalk it up as a win if I get multiple pulls. I've had various struggles with 3d printed mold warping, especially at elevated cure, and getting clean releases that don't damage the plastic too much (usually the mold surface is fine, but the backing breaks). EDIT: Should have read your OP a bit closer, you're printing plug halves and pulling molds. I've been successful with this on RC airplane parts (cut from MDF, not 3d printed). In general, the hard parts are:
  • maintaining a sharp parting line on each half, your epoxy coating, gelcoat etc on the plug tends to fillet the edge. There are various techniques to handle this like leaving a little depression around the whole edge which gets filled with epoxy/filler etc.
  • (as you mentioned) indexing the halves. I've had good luck with bushings inserted during the tool layup. I mentor I had used to use marbles on symmetric parts, inserted after finishing the plug and before laying up the mold - that way he only needed one plug half which he could pull two molds from. IIRC, he was pretty crazy about getting the plug finish around the marble, and how the marble sat perfect.
Cool project, excited to see what you come up with!
Appreciate the input! Sounds like I should get experience using PVA, then. As for Frekote, it definitely is pricey. I'll end up finding out if a perfect mold finish is worth my time or not--I'll have to ask myself if the consumables and time cost result in meaningfully better parts.

The parting line definitely concerns me. The idea behind using a print is that I can clearly tell when I've knocked my surface coating back to a sharp corner. I think I'll do this with something like a fine Permagrit tool or file. If that fails, I like the depression idea. Easy to implement with printing.

I like both of your indexing methods, and I came to the same conclusion about a symmetric part like a nose. Whatever feature I choose, I'll watch out for how accurately I produce it during the mold-making process.

Back