Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and a view with myself for a size comparison.

After that I sheeted the bottom, cut the control surfaces free and scale-hinged them to the wing. This is where I heavily modified the plans but not for scale-purposes only. Will tell you about that as soon as I get decent detailed pictures of them.

Well, your horrible pics are as good as my good ones. Look neato so far!

Originally posted by astronboy
I have a rocsim of the 'Feurlillie' F55. The modekl is based on theBT-55 and the black 'bail-out' nosecone. The boat tail is a pain, and I was unable top Rocsim the wing tips correctly, but it will fly!!

One real bear is that the actual rocket has 4 small motors sticking out of the back of the boat tail... this would be murder to model .

Fred

I was able to make a feurlillie. BT-60 with 4 13 mm cluster.
I used a paper transition for the rear cone.
Flew very well at the NARAM sport range this year.
Jmikeh

My F55 also uses a paper transition as an approximate tail cone. However, a single motor model could be accurate because the F55 was originally meant to fly on a single liquid fuel motor. This motor was not ready in time, so the first version had four solid fuel motors instead. But according to Luft 46, "The second test, which used Dr. Conrad's liquid fuelled rocket engine, was not successful", which to me implies that the version with the single motor was launched. It just didn't get very far. :D

Mike, I'd also like to see a photo of your model! :)

here are a few pics. I'll try to get them all on.
the first is the f-55. Sorry I couln't find a launch
pic. The second is my Ch16. I used the Das Modell v-1
as a base, then made my changes. I did have a stock v-1
that I flew at NSL 2003, but it was painted camo, and the
grass was high. I remember it as a good flight on a
d12-5

Here's the F-55. Bt 60 based, Warp 2 nose cone, paper tail
cone. 4 13 mm cluster. It flew very well this year at
NARAM. Chris may have a launch pic of it.

You got a stock Das Modell V1 to fly properly on a D12-5? I'm impressed! The last time I saw someone try that, it was totally unstable. With a bit of extra nose weight, it was marginal; it started off unstable and tipped over, then (with some of the propellant gone and the CG moved forward) became stable, adopted an accurate V1 flight mode, and ended up in a nearby tree. A second dose of nose weight would probably have made it fly correctly if the owner had been able to retrieve it...

What's the Ch16? It looks good, anyway! Nice job on the Feuerlilie, too. :)

Originally posted by adrian
You got a stock Das Modell V1 to fly properly on a D12-5? I'm impressed! The last time I saw someone try that, it was totally unstable. With a bit of extra nose weight, it was marginal; it started off unstable and tipped over, then (with some of the propellant gone and the CG moved forward) became stable, adopted an accurate V1 flight mode, and ended up in a nearby tree. A second dose of nose weight would probably have made it fly correctly if the owner had been able to retrieve it...

What's the Ch16? It looks good, anyway! Nice job on the Feuerlilie, too. :)

The Ch16 is the Russian version of the V1. From what I've
found it was a little longer than the V1, and had that extra
motor.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Here's another A9/A10 stack:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon11/amerika.html

Time to revive this thread! Projekt Amerika is a rocket I built under my RMR nomme de guerr. Louis is my pocket protector wearing, rocket scientist alter ego.

After moving and unpacking and establishing my rocket spot, I dragged the A9/A10 stack out last weekend and had a look. My piston design was clearly a failure. It occurred to me that I could use a design similar to what I used in my Descon 14 project omega rocket.

I ditched the piston and glued the right length of BT50 into a Big Daddy centering ring, poked a couple of holes into the centering ring, and cut lengths of BT50 to lay along side the central tube.

Here's the picture:

This is the inside of the A10 with the piston removed. The baffle blocks the A10-3 ejection particles. By gluing the new assembly into the rocket, I essentially have two small parachute compartments.

I'm planning on two 12" mylar parachutes. I placed a half a sheet of Estes wadding into one of the little parachute bays, added the chute, and was able to blow it out very easily. This might work! I am going to try to ground test it.

This is the A9 fit into the model with the new ejection assembly.

I'm reworking the paint scheme into a von Braun meets Chuck Yeager theme. The A9 now sports a fluorescent orange paint job (I'll add Glamorous Glennis as well!) and the A10 is going to be a fluourescent yellow/black White Sands number.

I hope to be able to fly this at NYPOWER next week. Pics to follow.

Originally posted by Mike_BAR
The more I read this forum and the more I goggle the Web, I realize that there are no new ideas left...

Sure there are--you just have to wait until they wake you up at 3 am...

I still haven't tried flying my A9/A10 with a live motor in the A9, but I did test it with the A9 loaded with a dummy motor and taped to the A10. The piston system, based on your ideas MetMan, worked fine.

Here's the inside of the A10. There are three 18mm mounts in a tight cluster. The picture shows the exposed tops of two of them; these mounts get C6-3's and eject the nose. The third mount is ducted into the central tube and is loaded with a C6-0. Partial bulkheads isolate that third mount and central tube from the main compartment and two C6-3 tubes. The nose, seen on the left, slides over the central tube. Its own core tube provides a channel from the C6-0 in the A10 to the motor in the A9. The large bulkheads make the piston, allowing the C6-3's to eject the nose.

Here's a side shot of the nose unit. The parachute ties onto the kevlar loop and goes into the compartment between the bulkheads. It is well protected from the blast from the C6-3's without needing any wadding.

The proof of the system is what happens when the ejection charges have fired... The C6-0 kicked out because the A9 didn't get out of the way. You can also just about see that the C6-0 tube is marked with red so I know when loading which tube gets the C6-0. I really do not want to put the C6-0 in the wrong tube!

The nose unit does not open. The A9 fits in from the top, with slots in the sides of the A10's nose cone to allow the A9's fins to move into and out of the nose. It's supposed to emulate this - except that a couple of seconds after the A9 is on its way, the A10 should kick out its nose and deploy a parachute.

Here's a close-up of the A9/A10 on the pad, zoomed in on the A9 mounted in the A10's nose and held in place by tape for the test flight.

Originally posted by adrian
[Snip] Here's a close-up of the A9/A10 on the pad, zoomed in on the A9 mounted in the A10's nose and held in place by tape for the test flight.
Very cool... :cool:
Thank you for the follow-up, and please keep us apprised of the fully staged flight...

Flew the A9/A10 stack at Geneseo. Only the D12-0 and one A10-3 lit. A10 had an arching liftoff, the A9 separated....but didn't light! Augered in ballistic and was destroyed. The A10 recovery chutes failed and it too augered in--no damage.

The A9 was really scorched on the bottom so I'm a little surprised it didn't light. I had even scraped the inside of the motor.

I wasn't able to fine the nose cone halves at first but they were found later. One cracked but repairable.

On the plus side, Bill Guy captuired an awesone separation sequence on his 1 July NYPOWER site. Pages 9/10:

https://www.imagequix.com/exec/vando/ProofViewer.php

These are two of the images. I hope this isn't a copyright problem. Bill--if you're out there, I plan on ordering this!

Also, I was a bit premature when I said the A9 vehicle was "destroyed". A tube coupler, a new section of BT-50, and some epoxy putty repairs to the nose cone and strakes, and I believe she'll fly again!

MetMan

very cool model ! I love V2's and the variants..

although the scale modeler in me finds that yellow roll pattern WAY off from what the real thing could ever look like.especially after the work you put into it to make something that scale- like ? the point is it's a cool build .. thanks for posting it

Originally posted by stymye
although the scale modeler in me finds that yellow roll pattern WAY off from what the real thing could ever look like.especially after the work you put into it to make something that scale- like ?

stymye,

This bird has crashed so much it's essentially devolved into a boiler plate model. The original incarnation for RMR DESCON (https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/rvwbuild/rvwbuild.cgi?descon11/amerika.html) was, at least I think, more like what a German version of the A10 stack would look like.

I was getting tired of refinishing this after each crash but I thought a bright, easily visible scheme was in order to make it easier to track all the parts. The roll pattern I chose was along the lines of a White sands scheme. The A9 scheme is along the lines of an X-1. The justification was a Luft-46 scenario where the war lasts long enough for Dr vB to actually turn out an A10/A9 prototype which is captured by the allies (after they nuke Berlin and end the war) and taken back to WSMR for flight testing. Yeager meets von Braun--get it? Works for me. Now to fix the nose cone and try for another go...

MetMan

Back