You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have a working tower! (you may have to twist it a bit at first to get the tower to spin)

View attachment 644446

My boy crowd funded a new one. Is this the one you play? I have not played it yet.

View attachment 644452
That’s amazing that you still have the original in working condition. And yes, that is the new one I have.

Make the luck elements something that can be incorporated into a player's strategy, rather than something that nullifies their strategy.
I think there are two ways randomness* can work well (and enhance the need for skill) in games:

1) random results that you have to respond to by adjusting your strategy. (E.g., many card games, where you use skill to make the most of the hand you're dealt.)

2) having to account for probabilities of random results in your strategy, before they occur. (E.g., backgammon, where you try maximize the chance of having a good move regardless of how the dice turn up.)

There's a third way, which we agree is a fun killer: randomness that disregards or substitutes for strategy, so you either don't make any decisions or your decisions don't matter. (E.g., Candy Land, chutes and ladders, War, or most other games for very young children.)

*I think "luck" is not quite the same. Dice and cards are random; luck is whether or not that randomness works out for you.

Last edited:
Nice find.
I bought that album new and still have it, probably have almost all of their older albums. They're either at my house or my daughter borrowed them.
................... you had a CB radio in your car. Breaker - Breaker- one- nine!!
I've had several in different cars and still have one in my closet. I have no idea if it still works, I'm not sure if that band is still in use with analog devices.

I had a Midland CB with a telephone handset instead of the regular microphone. Like this one:
midland.jpg

Later I had a more traditional Midland that I designed and built a microprocessor-based digital scanner for. Won an award with that during my diploma. Also added some extra (illegal) channels so I could DX to New Zealand some days.

Last edited:
Later I had a more traditional Midland that I designed and built a microprocessor-based digital scanner for. Won an award with that during my diploma.
What’s a digital scanner? The only thing I know of called that is for converting objects into 3d models but that is after that I think?

A digital scanner meant it could flick through the channels and stop automatically on any that had receive signal. You could then key the mic to pause the scan. I also had a priority scan mode where it kept checking a particular channel very frequently. It was pretty fancy for its time. Nowadays it is very passe.

The frequency synthesis in the CB was done with a PLL, so the microcontroller just had to figure out the digital numbers to get the right frequencies.

Did anyone take a whole roll and hit it with a hammer? (Asking for a friend.) ;-)
Sure did! Was in the fireworks deprived/depraved state of Illinois where consumer fireworks outside of sparklers are still illegal. Got bootleg
fireworks when I was older and my mother taught me how to safely set them off! I hit a whole roll of caps many times without issue with a sledge hammer
to get them to blow all at once. Remember the Mattel "Zero-M secret agent" guns of 60's that masqueraded as innocuous devices like radios and such but
became pistols and machine guns at a touch of a button. The machine gun would go through a whole roll of caps very quickly which was very entertaining.
There were also Thompson sub machine gun toys where the good ones would blast through a whole role of caps fast.
Shoot I wished I still had those toys. If still operable, would probably be worth a lot so I could sell 'em and get more rocket stuff!

A digital scanner meant it could flick through the channels and stop automatically on any that had receive signal. You could then key the mic to pause the scan. I also had a priority scan mode where it kept checking a particular channel very frequently. It was pretty fancy for its time. Nowadays it is very passe.

The frequency synthesis in the CB was done with a PLL, so the microcontroller just had to figure out the digital numbers to get the right frequencies.
Back in the 60's my dad bought a pair of 5 watt Midland CB walkie-talkies with "6 channels". If I remember correctly they came with one set of send/receive
crystals for channel 9. If one wanted anymore channels they had to buy them, install them and they weren't that cheap back then either.

There was a time where PLL wasn't applied yet and multi-channel radios had to have send/receive crystals installed to use. Kurt

I think there are two ways randomness* can work well (and enhance the need for skill) in games:

1) random results that you have to respond to by adjusting your strategy. (E.g., many card games, where you use skill to make the most of the hand you're dealt.)

2) having to account for probabilities of random results in your strategy, before they occur. (E.g., backgammon, where you try maximize the chance of having a good move regardless of how the dice turn up.)

There's a third way, which we agree is a fun killer: randomness that disregards or substitutes for strategy, so you either don't make any decisions or your decisions don't matter. (E.g., Candy Land, chutes and ladders, War, or most other games for very young children.)

*I think "luck" is not quite the same. Dice and cards are random; luck is whether or not that randomness works out for you.
I completely agree. And for me, the best example of type 2 is TTRPGs, e.g. D&D. The sorts of war games that it evolved from way back when are probably also good examples, as is Risk (if you play with limited influence from cards). Backgammon, as you stated, is also an excellent example.

Back in the 60's my dad bought a pair of 5 watt Midland CB walkie-talkies with "6 channels". If I remember correctly they came with one set of send/receive
crystals for channel 9. If one wanted anymore channels they had to buy them, install them and they weren't that cheap back then either.

There was a time where PLL wasn't applied yet and multi-channel radios had to have send/receive crystals installed to use. Kurt
I still have a set of very small transistorised walkie talkies. They came with one channel and provision for a second. Had to buy two crystals for each (Tx & Rx) to get the second channel. Circa 1978 I think. Expensive at the time too.

With respect to its ability to bring out the worst in people, it occurs to me that Monopoly was a board-game precursor to today's social media. Today, we do occasionally play Monopoly, but my wife invariably starts the game by admonishing everyone to Play Nice and not take it too seriously. And we deliberately choose to not use Facebook or its ilk; if that annoys someone, too bad, it's our choice. We have seen 'social' media lead to behaviors that we would NEVER ordinarily expect from people.

Back