X-Wing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo52

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would share some pictures of my latest creation. My daughter and son are huge fans of StarWars and StarTrek TNG and I wanted to build something that they could enjoy. I found the plans on Ninfinger's site in the listing for old Centuri monthly contest rockets. This particular design was from the Fall/Winter of 1977.

https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri_rockettimes/fall-winter1977.jpg

I started out with the Estes Patriot kit and found out that it is probably the best basis for a kit bash of any kit on the market. The BT is in three pieces so you can adjust the length to suit and the NC is a pretty generic Ogive that will work for just about any design. Plus the fact you get a MM, parachute and LL all in the kit, it’s hard to beat for starter parts. Couple all of that with a Michael’s 40% off coupon, and you have 4 sitting on the shelf waiting to get built into anything other than a Patriot!

The only question left is do I put a 24mm mount or 18mm. It weights in at 3.5 oz. with a C6 ready to go. Winroc tells me it will get to 492 ft on a C6 and only 170 on a B6. I still think the 24mm would be too much………. Any thoughts?

xwing3a.JPG

View attachment xwing7a.JPG

View attachment xwing8a.JPG

xwing12a.JPG

View attachment xwing14a.JPG

Last shot.........

I guess I should give some stats..... The Patriot BT/NC are about 125% upscale from the Centuri plans so I took that and scaled up the fins and worked it out where the engines and laser cannons were BT20s and BT5s respecfully. The canopy is .010 sheet styrene and the rest is airbrushed for effect...... I covered the wings/fins in lable paper and painted with Tamyia acrylics.

I've got to tell you Uncle Owen, this R2 unit has a bad motivator. ... I was in the garage sanding on the R2 unit dome (wood button for covering a screw hole) when I dropped it on the floor. I bent over to pick it up and jammed my forehead on a steel Quik-Grip clamp....should have gotten stitches but didn't (wife said my head is too hard to break anyway) so now I'll just have some "character" in my face.........

View attachment xwing15a.JPG

Looks great!! I'd stick with the C6. Let us know how it flies (and pics, please!).

I second that, it looks great! I've thought about building that plan a couple times.

Wow, lots of time and detail in that. Great Job Jerry! Can't wait to see it in person.;)

Looks Awsome! Is it all paint work on the finish or did you work up some decals? I'd go with the 18mm mount. If it turns out you need more power you can always load an 18mm Aerotech composite "D".

Good flying.
Troy

Awesome looking X-Wing! :)

Take care and get that motivator fixed!:lol:

I flew the X-wing yesterday up in Mt. Airy MD. The ground was a little soggy but I made it out to the launch site and was able to get 4 flights on the rocket. The weather was perfect and all but one rocket I launched returned within 10 yds or so...... I launched a goonie on a C6-5 and it went balistic...

The first flight was on a C6-5 and it went straing as an arrow to about 450'. Nosed over and deployed on the way down and landed about 5 feet from the pad. The next was on a C6-3 and it was perfect. Again, about 5 feet from the pad at landing. The third flight was on a B6-4. The flight was noticably lower at only about 175' at best. Recovery was perfect and at landing, I did notice one of the lazer cannons was loose. A little glue and it was up for the final flight on another C6-3.

Good flights all in all and they were straight as an arrow. I also launched my DRM twice, Quest Intruder twice, my Zooch Titan twice, and my Goonie Pup once. I had to walk for the goonie.

That is a great looking rocket. I am glad it flew well :)
Cheers
Fred

Back