What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing up my Ringhawk...

Finished mine up within the last couple of weeks. I decided to use some spare 4" LOC body tube instead of balsa for the rings. I'm concerned about the stability during the boost phase. Since OR does not accurately sim ring tails at this time, I can only go off the specs shown in the article. It would have helped if the author indicated the whether the boost CG spec was determined with/without the motor.

Finished the construction of the EZ-DD and primed, sanded, painted it. I don't have a black rocket yet, so this is going to be my black rocket. When the paint is suitably hardened I'll probably add some accents, maybe red fins, or silver stars... I'll see what I feel like when it's all standing together. excuse the state of the bench, it's in dire need of a tidy, but shed time is precious, I never want to use it tidying...
If more than a square foot of your bench is clear, you are violating a law of the universe.

Received my shipment of airframe tubing to repair my ASP D Region Tomahawk today. I cut off the upper 15" of the booster section that got crunched in the quasi lawn dart a couple of weeks ago, and I glued the coupler in place. Tomorrow I will attach the new length of BT and then prep the bird for paint.

Since I have an extra Doorknob kit laying around (one that got damaged in shipping) I decided to use the nosecone out of it as part of a science project to mock up various ideas I have for my 54mm extreme Doorknob idea... has anyone ever done HED on an Estes kit? lol.....

View attachment 642439

Im not happy with how this is turning out, so I will probably end up going with apogee deployment and a chute release on this hot rod... Now to order some custom centering rings and G10 fins for this build!
Nothing against your work bench, but why do you have sunscreen on it? Everything else makes sense.

Fitting up fins to the 4" Estes "Hornet." There were several models with the name, this one is an upscale of Estes #2030.
The name "Murder Hornet" has been suggested haha. Since I have Dragon's 4" Photon Disruptor II, I'm thinking that this thing could be an opponent's torpedo/missile. Both are 4" LOC tube. The Photon Disruptor II definitely has the Star Trek/Federation look. Maybe I can talk someone into making some written Klingon versions of PSB (pseudo-scientific bs) for vinyl and request some Empire stickers from Stickershock. It's all just thinking until it is primed anyway.

When I hand-build HPR, getting 3 or 4 fins the correct size isn't that difficult. 10 was painful. Lots of clamps on the stacks, and the table sander.
Fillet. Never mind the fillets. I'll make Bob Smith a wealthy man : )PXL_20240428_191407743.jpgPXL_20240428_191504942.jpg

Yeah - still haven't painted the Estes Strikefighter but I am inspired now.
Vietnam-era F-4 Jungle Camo, or Stuka Camo (it has the cannon for it), light gray bottom, black nose cone tip & I get to use the airbrush.
& I almost made it through Sunday with no honey-do's. Almost.

Cheers / Robert

Nothing against your work bench, but why do you have sunscreen on it? Everything else makes sense.
The sunscreen is a staple in my range box... I took it out while cleaning up after the last launch, and just havent put it back in yet.... I thought for sure someone would question the random PopTart packaging first!

Not a particularly great day. Perfect afternoon for spray painting, but nothing seemed to come out well. 10 ft rule well, maybe, but I was hoping for better than that. Got some red on my ACME Spifire, but it ran. Got some black on the nosecone of my Odd'l Breakaway but it both bubbled and ran, I obviously had too heavy of a trigger finger. White primer on the body of the Breakaway and ran out of paint... tried to drill through a 3D printed piece and it snapped. Jumped the gun on some wood putty on my Odd'l Cyclone and had to re-do that., though the fin dent repair came out fine. Some days...

I want to get better at airbrushing, but when you have to practice on the pieces that you really love, it's tough!

Last edited:
The sunscreen is a staple in my range box... I took it out while cleaning up after the last launch, and just havent put it back in yet.... I thought for sure someone would question the random PopTart packaging

Food at the work bench makes sense. I thought you might have found something useful with the sunscreen!

The sunscreen is a staple in my range box... I took it out while cleaning up after the last launch, and just havent put it back in yet.... I thought for sure someone would question the random PopTart packaging first!
Those of us that know you also know you have a carbon based life-form replacement unit aka...child...and PopTarts are found wherever they are.....

Those of us that know you also know you have a carbon based life-form replacement unit aka...child...and PopTarts are found wherever they are.....
Except the wife's mini me doesnt like PopTarts... that was also left over from the last launch... my snacks for in the car on the 3.5hr drive!

Impromptu launch today:
1. Estes Mars Leaper: A10-PT
Nominal
IMG_20240428_084904.jpg

2. Estes Zombie C6-5
Nominal flight, but rocket drifted away. Cheap RTF, small loss.
IMG_20240428_085434.jpg

3. Estes SR-71 B6-4.
Good flight, chute partially deployed, landed flat in grass, no damage.
IMG_20240428_092658.jpg

4. Quest DC-Y Space Clipper B6-4
Another good flight, main chute deployed ok, nose cone chute did not. no damage.
IMG_20240428_092157.jpg

5. Fliskits Decaffeinator, C11-3.
Nominal flight, good deployment, broke between two cups at landing.
Easily repaired.
IMG_20240428_095532.jpg

Video on Ronz Rocketz on You Tube in a day or two.
A pretty good day.
:D

Last edited:
Opened the box of ‘mixed’ kits and semi built stuff I bought on fleabay. No pics (yet) because the power was out. Of course, because I paid the bill this morning and it isn’t due for a fortnight.

Anyhoo, wanted to conserve the battery for later in the day so I just had a quick look at the score.

Now, anyone have knowledge of the Estes Spectra? It’s complete and unflown, but I know nothing about it except it’s a Bertha sized ARF with an 18 mm MMT.

A copy of the instructions would be great, if anyone has them.

Passed my level 1 cert today H550 on a 3" punisher . Apogee 1189. Short 1700 foot walk for recovery .... then I get home and can't find my cert paperwork !!!!!!!! I'm going to go launch more rockets tomorrow. let's see if my witness will resign the paperwork...should have taken a picture after it was signed . what a rookie move.. :(

I couldn't cert on my birthday yesterday as the wind and rain wasn't cooperating
If you're lucky, the witness won't resign it, and (oh, darn) you'll just have to fly it again. :)

Congratulations.

Planned on flying, but we've had some hellacious winds in the area this weekend, so I contented myself with some time in the paint booth. I got interested in the Estes Spartan last week when I realized it was a Mini Brute, and threw one together with parts and pieces that were laying around the shop. Exciting? No, but I've amassed a decent collection of Mini Brutes over the years and am liking the idea of a MB launch at B6-4 Field, assuming that the winds of late aren't a permanent feature that we'll be dealing with. In that same vein, I'm finishing up work on a Centuri Mini-Dactyl clone that will fit in nicely with the MB launch. Those were the extent of my actual rocketry work for the weekend due to golf on Saturday and grass on Sunday.

Cleaning up motor casings and avbays from last weekends launch.
Thanks to @tsbooska for the pic's of our rockets on research motors.
Here is my Fire Flyer on a 54/2000 Not Your Wimpy Red K908:

2024-04-27 Fireflyer 54-2000 NYWR.jpg

Here is his rocket (sorry Thomas, I forgot what it is) flying on an M1569 76/6000 Don Alexanders slow white that he helped mix and cast:
2024-04-27 Thomas 75-6000 DAW.jpg

I did this yesterday.. I have a video but didn't get the whole flight :( but you can hear the motor chuff about 75 -100 feet off the pad and i got only about half the altitude I was simmed to get on the h220... so the 8 second recommended delay was a bit long.. the runcam 6 didn't save the video recording.. that really would have shown better what happened.. I think you can hear a muffled ejection charge go off right at the end when the whole tube was at its full compression. More of a whoosh instead of a bang.... the whole thing bounced 2 feet. There a little compression in the motor tube below the upper centering ring.. the eggtimer mini shed its epoxied gps antenna but the runcam didn't have any damage. I should be able to rebuild the rocket no problem.. just not sure what went wrong as we checked the motor contents afterwards and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The rear fiber disk was almost completely burned. All Orings were good. The ejection charge went off.. nothing weird on the nozzle or forward seal disk no leftover propellant.
73007.jpeg

I did this yesterday.. I have a video but didn't get the whole flight :( but you can hear the motor chuff about 75 -100 feet off the pad and i got only about half the altitude I was simmed to get on the h220... so the 8 second recommended delay was a bit long.. the runcam 6 didn't save the video recording.. that really would have shown better what happened.. I think you can hear a muffled ejection charge go off right at the end when the whole tube was at its full compression. More of a whoosh instead of a bang.... the whole thing bounced 2 feet. There a little compression in the motor tube below the upper centering ring.. the eggtimer mini shed its epoxied gps antenna but the runcam didn't have any damage. I should be able to rebuild the rocket no problem.. just not sure what went wrong as we checked the motor contents afterwards and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The rear fiber disk was almost completely burned. All Orings were good. The ejection charge went off.. nothing weird on the nozzle or forward seal disk no leftover propellant.
View attachment 642999
That'll buff out.
1685503328650.jpg
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-rocket-wise-today.48649/post-2577572

Last edited:
I still had fun even though the goblin augured in :)
And now I can buy H and I impulse motors. :) I picked up an I600 for my punisher after passing cert on Saturday. That sims at just below 4000 feet :). I think I'm going to run a backup ejection charge and a flight computer.. that way hopefully no more ballistic rockets

Last edited:
Fitting up fins to the 4" Estes "Hornet." There were several models with the name, this one is an upscale of Estes #2030.
The name "Murder Hornet" has been suggested haha. Since I have Dragon's 4" Photon Disruptor II, I'm thinking that this thing could be an opponent's torpedo/missile. Both are 4" LOC tube. The Photon Disruptor II definitely has the Star Trek/Federation look. Maybe I can talk someone into making some written Klingon versions of PSB (pseudo-scientific bs) for vinyl and request some Empire stickers from Stickershock. It's all just thinking until it is primed anyway.

When I hand-build HPR, getting 3 or 4 fins the correct size isn't that difficult. 10 was painful. Lots of clamps on the stacks, and the table sander.
Fillet. Never mind the fillets. I'll make Bob Smith a wealthy man : )View attachment 642835View attachment 642834

Yeah - still haven't painted the Estes Strikefighter but I am inspired now.
Vietnam-era F-4 Jungle Camo, or Stuka Camo (it has the cannon for it), light gray bottom, black nose cone tip & I get to use the airbrush.
& I almost made it through Sunday with no honey-do's. Almost.

Cheers / Robert
Oooh, a Tesla coil. Tell us more......

Last edited:
I still had fun even though the goblin augured in :)
And now I can buy H and I impulse motors. :) I picked up an I600 for my punisher after passing cert on Saturday. That sims at just below 4000 feet :). I think I'm going to run a backup ejection charge and a flight computer.. that way hopefully no more ballistic rockets
Flight computers are great. But you need to remember to switch them on......

Went through my Fleabay score in detail:

2 RTF
1 EX2
The Spectra
2 Opened Unbuilt kits
7 Partly built kits, including…

IMG_5446.jpeg

The Estes Shuttle; the reason I bought the whole job lot.

Safe to say no-one builds like you do and there’s bound to be a few ‘Why did you do that?’ moments, but colour me happy.

All for the price of ten pies ($66 AUD).

Nice to have a win on a bet occasionally.

IMG_5417.jpeg

Went through my Fleabay score in detail:

2 RTF
1 EX2
The Spectra
2 Opened Unbuilt kits
7 Partly built kits, including…

View attachment 643014

The Estes Shuttle; the reason I bought the whole job lot.

Safe to say no-one builds like you do and there’s bound to be a few ‘Why did you do that?’ moments, but colour me happy.

All for the price of ten pies ($66 AUD).

Nice to have a win on a bet occasionally.

View attachment 643016
Only 8.8 pies if you're in Sydney. No, wait, that's not right........ :) https://www.pieinthesky.com.au/menus/
Or 11 sausage rolls....

Ordered a dozen BMS school rockets with the intention of hosting an introduction to rocketry build to try and build up a local community. This is driven partly by the fact that the nearest club is 200 miles away but it would be nice to have enthusiastic people to talk to locally (as great as you lot are). I've found a few people who were excited when they saw what I was doing, but really had no idea how to start. I'll report back once the rockets arrive and the event has been hosted.

Ordered a dozen BMS school rockets with the intention of hosting an introduction to rocketry build to try and build up a local community. This is driven partly by the fact that the nearest club is 200 miles away but it would be nice to have enthusiastic people to talk to locally (as great as you lot are). I've found a few people who were excited when they saw what I was doing, but really had no idea how to start. I'll report back once the rockets arrive and the event has been hosted.
The wild rocketer hunt’s it’s pray… and lays it’s trap…

I did this yesterday.. I have a video but didn't get the whole flight :( but you can hear the motor chuff about 75 -100 feet off the pad and i got only about half the altitude I was simmed to get on the h220...
Sounds like you need to file a MESS report, and a report to AeroTech.

Only 8.8 pies if you're in Sydney. No, wait, that's not right........ :) https://www.pieinthesky.com.au/menus/
Or 11 sausage rolls....
Metric or English sausage rolls?

Anyway, yesterday my JL Chute Release arrived in the mail. I read the manual, static tested it, topped up the battery, and put it back in the box.

Last edited:
Back