What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These Jetex pellets I'm making are about that diameter, but shorter. You can put more than one in a motor. But I guess a 13mm motor is a lot smaller than that on the inside. Next stop, MicroMaxx refills.

These are sugar (i.e. rocket candy) and/or epoxy motors, with a side trip into wax. Last night's results were wicked crumbly. Also burned better outside the motor than inside! It's not supposed to work like that.
Last night, I pressed the leftover crumblies harder, and they held together. Only burned slowly and stayed lit all of 6 seconds. Burned the pellet in free air. Fizzled, then actually caught fire, then went out. Left a puffball shape which was mostly hollow and almost exactly the same color as the original fuel. But even a propane torch wouldn't light it. What's fun is that the torch leaks around the valve, catching fire, and then I have to blow it out before I turn it off. I think I'll retire that one!

Disk Installed.

The instructions say to put a weight on the disk as it dries after putting the card on the top and bottom. Don't remove that weight until it's completely dry or the disc will warp. Overnight ended up not being enough in my case. I had to set a heavy box on the disk for over a week to get it decently flat.

20240331_193854.jpg

Last edited:
If the epoxy was all gone, you could cut the glass with a knife.

A Dremel cutting wheel ought to cut glass, but it might be slow. Maybe use a carbide router bit or carbide tipped saw blade?

------------

Generally, one can warm up epoxy if it needs adjustment. This may work with some other kinds of glue.

If the epoxy was all gone, you could cut the glass with a knife.

A Dremel cutting wheel ought to cut glass, but it might be slow. Maybe use a carbide router bit or carbide tipped saw blade?

------------

Generally, one can warm up epoxy if it needs adjustment. This may work with some other kinds of glue.
Dremel cutting wheels work fine on fiberglass sheet.

One more because I just kept going...

Finished off the evening's work on the BOSS by installing the launch lug (note it goes in between two of the twelve lines on the tube), the tube joiner rings, and the round greebles on the upper tube.

I'll join the tubes and do wood prep on the twelve vane pieces tomorrow.

20240331_213049.jpg

Make sure you wear a fine particle dust mask, you don't want that stuff in your lungs...

Edit:snap

And safety glasses or something. Especially if using the skinny little wheels that break and fly into your face if you have as much as a bad thought.
Yes, I was planning on wearing protection!

Some Dremel wheels, the ones that are really thin, are brittle. Others are not. But if you're cutting much material, a table saw may be easier. The fiberglass dust will still be nasty.

Got around to some rocketry stuff today after a roller coaster of a week.
My old dog-mate, Fergal, died last Monday after a short and sudden illness. Leonie, our ultra-mini Dachshund was depressed after losing her pal, much like the rest of us, so we were able to pick-up a 15week old mini-Schnauzer puppy last Saturday. Then last Sunday the missus had a mini-stroke (a "TIA" in new money), so it was off to the emergency hospital, followed by 3 days of tests and two nights in hospital. Fortunately, no damage/ill effects, but a scare non the less. Easter holidays now just about done with all the meal planning and cooking out of the way.

Rocket wise today:
  • Fixed the one roller wheel that had ripped out of my work-bench, so it's now fully mobile again.
  • Made a 5 degree wooden "ramp" to attach to my belt sander to supplement the existing 10 degree one I'd previously made.
  • Used the new 5 degree ramp to apply bevels to my plywood fin cores before they get laminated with Flax fabric build-up layers.
  • Made cutting patterns for the Flax fabric for laminating these plywood fins. Edited the cutting plan for the Flax fabric.
  • No banana available for scale

20240401 Fin ply Core Bevels pic1.jpg 20240401 Fin Ply Core Bevels pic2.jpg 20240401 Fin Flax Lamination Templates.jpg

I had a TIA a few years ago. One second I was sitting at a light in Vegas. The next second I was at my desk in the garage. I drove the 60 miles to get home. Don't remember doing it. Was missing 8 hours. I was already seeing a cardiologist. When I told her about the missing time she told me I had a TIA. Scared me silly.

I had a TIA a few years ago. One second I was sitting at a light in Vegas. The next second I was at my desk in the garage. I drove the 60 miles to get home. Don't remember doing it. Was missing 8 hours. I was already seeing a cardiologist. When I told her about the missing time she told me I had a TIA. Scared me silly.
Glad you at least made it safe home, but...wow!
Her TIA only lasted about 30secs, but had all the classic symptoms, including slurred speech as she was trying to tell us that she knew she was having a TIA. My son and I were in the same room area, so we got to witness it and deal with it. No missing time, just time lost to traveling to and from the hospital! She's prohibited from driving for 2 weeks as a precaution though.

Some Dremel wheels, the ones that are really thin, are brittle. Others are not. But if you're cutting much material, a table saw may be easier. The fiberglass dust will still be nasty.
Yeah. If I were to cut the fiberglass with my Dremel I would have to get new cutting wheels because the ones I have are literally so thin and brittle that they splinter apart when I am (trying) to cut basswood.

Yeah. If I were to cut the fiberglass with my Dremel I would have to get new cutting wheels because the ones I have are literally so thin and brittle that they splinter apart when I am (trying) to cut basswood.
The EZ Lok discs are larger; much, much easier to mount; and last longer than the thin brittle ones. Definitely worth getting.

Got around to painting the Exocet now that it’s warm enough out. Had some issues with the masking not working (me doing it poorly) but this was already paintjob attempt #2 so I’m just done with it. Will buy some motors, then hopefully try it out soon.
IMG_3447.jpeg
yes, I know that’s kind of a terrible picture…

Last edited:
Finished up the build on my ASP D Region Tomahawk, now it joins the other three naked rockets on the bench that are all built, but waiting for good weather for a paint job... Started looking at what to clean in the garage so I can clear the bay out for a fiberglass build project I have coming up... Will be my largest build yet!

Back