What are you listening to?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier today, while my wife was taking care of the dishes, I put this on for her, and she was highly amused:

Not to worry. I did chores today, too.

When I read the title of this thread today, I immediately thought of the Jazz Decades program. I think its host, Ray Smith, has died, but there are still replays, etc. I used to listen to his program about this time of night while driving back from visiting my future wife.
https://www.wgbh.org/music/jazz/2023-08-04/jazz-decades-stream
Anyway, I'm listening to it now for a few minutes. When I probably should be doing something else.

In a similar/related vein to my post #3831 (the Mike Masse/Africa clip)....

I happened upon this clip a few years back. Had never heard of the band ("Fun") nor this song. But I knew of Janelle Monae and decided to check it out. I kinda dug it....it's not up there with my major favourites, but it's pretty dang good. Janelle herself is, as usual, great. I enjoyed it and found it worth relistening to now and then. I figured out that this was an alternate version of the original (which apparently was quite popular with the "younger set" at the time, this being around 2010 I believe). So of course I had to check out that original.................................and holy crap it's awful! Same song, same artists, same "machine" that produced it....and it's just terrible, absolute dreck. I hated it (and still do). So why the (very pronounced) difference? Well, the original is the typical overproduced "product" with layers and layers of useless garbage piled on, slicked and polished up with any and all traces of soul, guts, or honesty completely washed out of it, that is so common in "pop music". While in the alternate version (the one posted here), they simply stripped it down to it's bare essentials, and belted it out. Yes, it's still professionally "produced", but they let the song, and the voices, speak for themselves, and stopped trying so hard to "entertain" me. Which to my ears and mind, is an entirely different thing.

I won't post the original....it's so completely awful that I can't bring myself to do it......ick.

s6

The original Dixie Dregs lineup (2018 tour), the guys are holding up well.

They're touring again this year: Steve, Rod and Andy West!! with Jordan Rudess on keyboards! No word on violin player, maybe Alan Sloan or Goodman

The Steve Morse Band opens, hopefully Dave LaRue on bass.

@John Kemker, they'll be at Capitol Theatre in Macon in a couple weeks, and Variety Playhouse a couple days later. It's mid-week, but I'll do my best to make the Macon show.

@Hobie1dog, there are 2 dates in NC 😉

https://dixiedregs.com/

The original Dixie Dregs lineup (2018 tour), the guys are holding up well.

They're touring again this year: Steve, Rod and Andy West!! with Jordan Rudess on keyboards! No word on violin player, maybe Alan Sloan or Goodman

The Steve Morse Band opens, hopefully Dave LaRue on bass.

@Hobie1dog, there are 2 dates in NC 😉

the place in Winston-Salem has every one of the tickets reserved and unavailable except for up against the left wall and right wall of the balcony.

Back