• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Video Camera Holder Opinions Please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atestani

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been flying SQ11 video cameras which are about 0.9" cubes that look like this. These are inexpensive and work very well at 1080P and are only 58 grams. I am using 3D printed holders/shrouds.

snap0281.jpg

I have 2 of these mounted on a 3" 5' rocket so I can have one camera facing the ground and the other facing upward. My objective is to I get good views even after parachute deployment My question is what is the best holder/shroud to use.

I have made several flights with this minimalist holder but I question if it is the best way since it is just a cube.
snap0294.jpgsnap0298.jpg
I redesigned (and 3D printed) this version where you can see the previous version "inside" in an attempt at a more aerodynamic version.
snap0299.jpg
which looks like this with the camera installed:
snap0300.jpg

I would appreciate the learned opinion of this group which is better, or even, if there is a better way. I can 3D print anything so if there is a better way please let me know.

Thanks
Al

I think the second version is better, but not because it will much of a difference aerodynamically, but because it looks like it will better protect the camera during recovery and landing.

Tony

Back