Using CFD for finding center of pressure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Person
Reaction score
Anyone on here ever used a CFD software to find the center of pressure of a rocket? The design I am working with does not work with the normal rocketry softwares and that is why I am trying to do it this way. Being a student I have access to some full versions of softwares for free. So far I have tried Simflow but it has a 200k node limit for the free version. I then tried Autodesk CFD but that ran out of memory when doing the calculations for 350 m/s of compressible flow. I have simplified the model down for analysis but it still seems too complex for my computer so if there is a software that runs the calculations on a server that would be even better.

Thanks to anyone that can help. This is for a personal rocket project so I can't use any of the resources at school otherwise I'd ask if I could print a model for the win tunnel.

I do occasional runs on models where I want a different CP perspective than what Openrocket spits out. I use an older version of Solidworks with flow toolbox.
I set origin at the nose of the rocket, collect moments and forces along the principal axes, and divide to obtain an estimated CP position in the Y and Z planes

My only limitation is its on my aging laptop and run into memory issues if I do visualizations it doesn't feel like crunching that day. CP calcs are fine

If you can make one piece flow model, I could crank it at the speeds you need (prefer origin at nose to simplify the math)

1611982845612.png

I do occasional runs on models where I want a different CP perspective than what Openrocket spits out. I use an older version of Solidworks with flow toolbox.
I set origin at the nose of the rocket, collect moments and forces along the principal axes, and divide to obtain an estimated CP position in the Y and Z planes

My only limitation is its on my aging laptop and run into memory issues if I do visualizations it doesn't feel like crunching that day. CP calcs are fine

If you can make one piece flow model, I could crank it at the speeds you need (prefer origin at nose to simplify the math)

View attachment 448563
I do have solidworks so I could try using it. I am using a simplified one piece model. I have struggled to find a rocket specific example out there so if you would be able to make a short guide that would be lovely.

Back