Upscale Estes Alien Space Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROhmen

Reaction score
Howdy all -

I got it in my head that I had to make a 5.5" Estes Alien Space Probe, using 54mm motors and a "one-parachute-to-three" dual deploy system.

I'll post some pics as I continue with the build - here are a few from the very start.

140331 - Upscale Alien Space Probe #3.jpg 140331 - Upscale Alien Space Probe #1.jpg

Some of the things I'm trying:
  • Carbon Fiber 1/4" rods for the legs, as I often broke the wood ones on my original model.
  • A fixed "Mosquito' style nosecone, with a smaller hole cut out of the center, where the parachutes come out.
  • A single 36" parachute deploying at apogee, pulling out a can containing the other two chutes.
  • The other two chutes deploy from the can at minimal altitude, using "line-cutters".

Some of the issues I'm dealing with:
  • The drogue 'chute can't be too long, or it'll wrap on the legs.
  • The force of the drogue deploying will tend to break the narrow zip ties holding the lid on the parachute can.
  • My original Estes Alien Space Probe tended to arc over under power, most of the time.
  • This is my first time doing a "hatch" style access to the electronics.
  • The main deploy wires have to go past the drogue charges. (A wrap of tape should protect them.)
  • I've got 12 other rocket projects going on now, as well as personal issues.

My primary weapon to combat the risks will be several ground tests, probably on the top of my car going 40 mph!

Anyone else done one of these?

ROhmen

Last edited:
Back