Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is close by, BUT it is not flyable. There is a broke TTW fin that needs to be repaired. The rocket is 100% fiberglass. @smstachwick was unsure of best technique, and I do fiberglass work almost daily. I was skipped to get it to him for a club flight, so we were just going to circle back to me for repairs, and test-flight.
Yep.

I’ve got another package for a non-rocketeer recipient to send off, I’ll condense those into a single post office trip. I know in my DM I said hopefully less than a week but that was a really long estimate on my part. I bet I can get it done sooner, but I’ll keep you and everyone else updated regardless.

ARRIVED... Did a quick look at fin damage. It's fine.... well needs some work, but looks like an easy reassembly job.

The fin, BT, and MMT, all are ok with no obvious breaks or cracks. It just popped the joints loose. Some gentle persuasion, and a little sanding, got it out.
20220822_141830.jpg20220822_142028.jpg20220822_142044.jpg

I will look it over closer tomorrow at lunch.

QUESTION: Try to touch up the paint. (or) Leave the repair as a "battle scar". Either way it will be visible.

[ I don't want to refinish it as that would remove all the signatures and patina of being well traveled. ]

Mike

ARRIVED... Did a quick look at fin damage. It's fine.... well needs some work, but looks like an easy reassembly job.

The fin, BT, and MMT, all are ok with no obvious breaks or cracks. It just popped the joints loose. Some gentle persuasion, and a little sanding, got it out.
View attachment 533710View attachment 533711View attachment 533712

QUESTION: Try to touch up the paint. (or) Leave the repair as a "battle scar". Either way it will be visible.

[ I don't want to refinish it as that would remove all the signatures and patina of being well traveled. ]

Mike
I’d say leave it. A visible reminder to be more careful packing the chute!

I’m glad you got it, too.

View attachment 533710View attachment 533711View attachment 533712

Mike
I vote to leave it also. Shows it has been flown a lot.

SORRY FOR THE DELAY... Life got in the way of the repair.... but done now.

Fin going back into position with epoxy thickened with mill glass fibers at MMT.
20220901_131336.jpg

Then filled the gap between fin and body tube on both sides. Done by: 1) injecting reinforced but "flowable" epoxy inside. 2) cover opening with Kapton tape with a tight crease. 3) rotate assembly so the epoxy flows against tape and makes an internal fillet & fills gap.
20220902_095203.jpg20220902_095242.jpg

Then today finished the external fillets.
20220908_144525.jpg

If things work out. We should fly it this weekend. (There are local launches the next 3 weekends...)

Mike

SORRY FOR THE DELAY... Life got in the way of the repair.... but done now.

Fin going back into position with epoxy thickened with mill glass fibers at MMT.
View attachment 536749

Then filled the gap between fin and body tube on both sides. Done by: 1) injecting reinforced but "flowable" epoxy inside. 2) cover opening with Kapton tape with a tight crease. 3) rotate assembly so the epoxy flows against tape and makes an internal fillet & fills gap.
View attachment 536750View attachment 536751

Then today finished the external fillets.
View attachment 536753

If things work out. We should fly it this weekend. (There are local launches the next 3 weekends...)

Mike
I see my signature is still visible at fin upper edge.😃👌

Well....there were 4 local launches 3 weekends in a row. And all have been canceled. (Two this weekend both canceled do to wind blowing too hard in unfavorable direction.)

So... Please let me know who is next. And I will get this moving. Hopefully others get better weather and launch conditions.

Mike

I can endorse that.

How’s about we work on getting a list of remaining active members? We may need to re-tally and reorganize for the Wanderer 2.0 to regain its mobility.

Due to high winds from the cold front and hurricane Ian, our launch today is canceled. This makes 4 weekends in a row. TIME TO MOVE ON.

The rocket IS REPAIRED and READY TO FLY.

@shawn_rocket do you have an updated list for 2.0...later. a conversation with me and next person, and we can get this back to traveling...Move me back to the end and I will try again later.

Mike

I'd be interested in flying the Wanderer 2.0 again, but I'm (a) not going to be able to fly until November or December and (b) have already flown it, so I should wait until everyone who hasn't flown has had their first crack.

Due to high winds from the cold front and hurricane Ian, our launch today is canceled. This makes 4 weekends in a row. TIME TO MOVE ON.

The rocket IS REPAIRED and READY TO FLY.

@shawn_rocket do you have an updated list for 2.0...later. a conversation with me and next person, and we can get this back to traveling...Move me back to the end and I will try again later.

Mike
Shawn appears to have been inactive since July. We will likely need new leadership on the project.

It's still here with me ready to fly, but we have had EVERY launch at the local clubs canceled since Sept 8th.

I did say I was willing to send it on to the next person ; and let it just circle back to me at some point.

I am WAY too busy with work and family to do any management of the list. If we want to truly let this be a "Wanderer" that is ok with me.

@gdjsky01 send me a PM with your address, and I will ship it Monday (We have a funeral to attend tomorrow.)

Mike

Just keeping a list and seeing who is nearer to who to minimize shipping, I think I can do that.
Keep in mind, if I am elected to do this, if you have the rocket, and the next dude or dudette is 4500km away, and there is no one closer, you ARE expected to pay to shipping it 4500km.

So keep that in mind.

I got your PM. Will give you tracking # as soon as it's on it's way.

(Trying to optimize the traveling, will drive you crazy. Just let it jump around the country. Someone knowing where it is and a "who's next" list is all that's needed.)

Back