Timelines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy way to get that divet out of the nose cone. Put a couple drops of water in the divet, then hit the water with a hot soldering iron. Somehow, the water will expand the nose caon again, you may have to sand it down a little to regain the profile. Done this a time or two.....
Max, the whole point was flying it just as found. I think the balsa is rotted, it may toothpick under boost. The shoulder is crumbling. Plus I have no clue what this kit (??) used to be. One and done for the books. Straight smoke and good chutes. Thanks for the suggestion. Hardly anybody remembers balsa cones anyway! Let alone Ambroid glue and Pactra dope!

I commend you for trying to resuscitate this fossil rocket (at least part of it). I think the story and spirit behind it is much cooler than any new plastic rocket out there.

Could this have been a custom design of yours?
K.C.- most likely. The dead giveaway to me was the washer and lead weight. I cannot for the life of me remember what the fins looked like. I know they were balsa and sealed and doped. Attached with Ambroid 'cuz we built stick and tissue planes also. I lost a lotta birds back in the day. I was a power junkie. I fed the forest for miles around! Just getting back to low power. It is still too much fun. It's also a lot harder. No adjustable delays, limited black powder motor selections, no more open fields, etc, etc.

RL sux. Pics later today. I'm going totally old school with tri-fold elastic, original motor clip (note no thumb release bend, it is the old one just de-funked and polished up. I guess first flight as it never crudded up from exhaust/deploy acids. Plastic (shudder) chute. Motor ejection. Just gotta find a Estes/Centuri launch lug. I:m sure in 50 years, at least one of those has to have fallen into the couch cushions. I know the straw trick, just trying to bring it authentic. Balsa fins still being figured out. Bare nose cone as promised. Trying out different colour schemes in fingernail polish (hey, it's just overpriced lacquer) just for giggles thru a cheap airbrush.This is the mental bubble gum equivalent of that crappy stuff they used to put in packs of baseball cards. So they still do that? No trees will be harmed in testing. Maybe bring it to Rocstock in Nov? Much ado about nothing. But that's just me. I shoulda tossed this crap, but it's an adventure. See what you guys did? You folks are to blame for my slide into insanity. Okay, not all the blame. There was stuff in the late 60's...you had to be there. I can't help it if I'm weak-minded, gullible and easily amused. You hear about bikers rebuilding Harley's from grease spots, right?

1968: Tree eats rocket. Much gnashing of teeth and voodoo invectives hurled at tree along with rocks trying to retrieve my stranded lovely.
2013: Tree dies. It is unknown if it was rocket poisoning or the voodoo.
2024: Tree falls over. I get my rocket back.
I can use the engine clip and maybe the nose cone with a little work. I win....
I've kinda had this happen twice. The first was my Fat Boy based Star Snoop. Lost it in July, right before NARAM in 2001. In the spring of 2002 my son had soccer practice at the same field and I walked back to see if I could still see it up in the tree. It had since become a mouse urinal.
image-bill-eichelbergers-mega-goon---super-snooper-900-600-012021173431148.jpg

Several years later I flew an Estes Astron Drifter clone and landed it on a telephone pole in April.
image-just-hangin-roun-manjpg-900-600-055218110828692.jpg

It fell in November. I replaced the nose cone and flew it again before retiring it.

Max, the whole point was flying it just as found. I think the balsa is rotted, it may toothpick under boost. The shoulder is crumbling. Plus I have no clue what this kit (??) used to be. One and done for the books. Straight smoke and good chutes. Thanks for the suggestion. Hardly anybody remembers balsa cones anyway! Let alone Ambroid glue and Pactra dope!

Soak some CA into it to harden it up.

Maybe just call the rocket "Timelines." KISS is a thing around here.

Back