Timelines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1968: Tree eats rocket. Much gnashing of teeth and voodoo invectives hurled at tree along with rocks trying to retrieve my stranded lovely.
2013: Tree dies. It is unknown if it was rocket poisoning or the voodoo.
2024: Tree falls over. I get my rocket back.
I can use the engine clip and maybe the nose cone with a little work. I win....

Attachments

• IMG_20240619_190740049.jpg
    IMG_20240619_190740049.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
1968: Tree eats rocket. Much gnashing of teeth and voodoo invectives hurled at tree along with rocks trying to retrieve my stranded lovely.

That is the most petrified rocket I have ever seen :D

You waited it out! Amazing!

Take that, tree! You lose!

And to everyone who wants it to fly again, is it really fair to ask it to come out of retirement now when it’s almost eligible for Social Security?

And to everyone who wants it to fly again, is it really fair to ask it to come out of retirement now when it’s almost eligible for Social Security?
Point taken, however I would give it a "Honor Flight" then allow permanent retirement in a prominent place.

Oh, man! I am so using Theseus! Too many Phoenix birds out there. I considered Ouroboros but thought I might jinx myself. Again.
Excellent! That name has been on my mind for a while for my road bike. It started out in 2008 as a Specialized Allez, but there's so little left of that anymore that it has basically become a rolling Ship of Theseus.

Okay, it seems the name is evolving into something like "Lazarus Theseus Long the Senior Curmudgeon". Stickershock outta be able to retire on that one! 2 points if you get the nod to one of my fave Sci-fi authors. Now it HAS to fly again! As is. No paint, filler, sanding or aerodynamic 'fixing'. New shock cord for safety concerns. Film at 11. Stay tuned.

I'm impressed the elastic cord held up that long. I lost this one in a 50' white pine for a year before the original cord dry rotted and it finally hit the ground. Nosecone shattered, and I think part of it blew away because I never found it all with the body. Funnily enough, a month later that tree was taken down because it was a hazard lol.... I guess rockets always get the last laugh.

(Video from the ill fated launch)

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I'm impressed the elastic cord held up that long. I lost this one in a 50' white pine for a year before the original cord dry rotted and it finally hit the ground. Nosecone shattered, and I think part of it blew away because I never found it all with the body. Funnily enough, a month later that tree was taken down because it was a hazard lol.... I guess rockets always get the last laugh.

(Video from the ill fated launch)

Wow! How cool you got that much back! I think the cord may have survived being mostly inside the tube. It is powdery and breaks easily. I originally posted this as a joke and was going to bin it, but with the peanut gallery encouragement, well, ya'll know I have ZERO common sense. Off to the rocket room and the cadaver...stay tuned.

Upon closer examination, this cone has been really beat up. Not only is it oval, but it looks like it suffered a couple of fin strikes as well. It is also blunt, but to it's credit, the eyehook, nose weight and washer are still firmly attached. I cannot for the life of me remember what this rocket was (or was supposed to be) as I hardly ever follow directions or build a kit stock. Ok, I have a stick of *something* close to the n/c diameters that may work with a little fiddling.

Attachments

• IMG_20240621_201245567.jpg
    IMG_20240621_201245567.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240621_201129478_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20240621_201129478_BURST001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240621_201704067.jpg
    IMG_20240621_201704067.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
let it go GIF

Easy way to get that divet out of the nose cone. Put a couple drops of water in the divet, then hit the water with a hot soldering iron. Somehow, the water will expand the nose caon again, you may have to sand it down a little to regain the profile. Done this a time or two.....

Back