Thanks for admitting me

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixenrider

I'm an Airplane guy, why am I here??
Reaction score
My name is Gary and I live in NW Florida. I have been in Rocketry on and off for about 55 years. My grandson has expressed an interest so I am once again a Born Again Rocketeer. Found a box with a whole bunch of assembled and disassembled rockets so here we go. Again thanks!

Gary,

I live in Niceville. I launch with the SouthEast Alabama Rocketry Society (SEARS). The club hosts monthly launches on a sod farm in Samson Alabama. The field is excellent and the people in the club are great. Here's a link to the club website. https://sears572.org/
Hi Rob, I'm in Mary Esther. Went to Samson last weekend with my grandsons School Rocketry Club. Had a great time until I went into the parts trailer....finally got out after spending a couple hundred bucks LOL. Yes I joined the SEARS Rocketry group and have visited the website. I plan on making this a monthly trek with at least two of my three grands. Good times, people and launches. The BBQ that I believe Chris made up was excellent!

Welcome from Australia. What do you like to build?
Hi Oz, I like to build anything unique and that looks fun to fly. I'm going through all my boxes of rocketry stuff from over the years just to see whats still good. I can say most builds to date are low power up to C size motors. Picked up a mid power kit at the launch we had last Saturday, so my and my grandkids entry into F and above has begun LOL

Hi Rob, I'm in Mary Esther. Went to Samson last weekend with my grandsons School Rocketry Club. Had a great time until I went into the parts trailer....finally got out after spending a couple hundred bucks LOL. Yes I joined the SEARS Rocketry group and have visited the website. I plan on making this a monthly trek with at least two of my three grands. Good times, people and launches. The BBQ that I believe Chris made up was excellent!
Gary,

Saturday's launch was great. Although, for me, it was a "Besides THAT Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" event when my Zephyr blew up shortly after launch. I rebounded with great flights on my Warlock and Tethys. And Chris BBQ was an unexpected treat. I also spent a small fortune at Chris' trailer. I picked up a PML 3.1 inch Bullpuppy and a LOC I-Roc. I'm not sure if I'll be at the May launch. I have the EDF Jet Jam with the Eglin Aero Modellers that day. I might be able to make the June launch though.Dead Zephyr.jpg

Gary,

Saturday's launch was great. Although, for me, it was a "Besides THAT Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" event when my Zephyr blew up shortly after launch. I rebounded with great flights on my Warlock and Tethys. And Chris BBQ was an unexpected treat. I also spent a small fortune at Chris' trailer. I picked up a PML 3.1 inch Bullpuppy and a LOC I-Roc. I'm not sure if I'll be at the May launch. I have the EDF Jet Jam with the Eglin Aero Modellers that day. I might be able to make the June launch though.View attachment 639795

Well, those things hapoen😁. Like the infamous Helicat and othe helicopter recovery rockets. They are beautiful when they work correctly LOL. I have been looking for someplace local to get rocketry supplies, are you aware of any? Oh, and I'd like to meet you at the June launch I'd you don't make the May. I'll be the old geriatric geezer driving a red Explorer with anywhere from 1-3 grandkids in tow.LOL

Well, those things hapoen😁. Like the infamous Helicat and othe helicopter recovery rockets. They are beautiful when they work correctly LOL. I have been looking for someplace local to get rocketry supplies, are you aware of any? Oh, and I'd like to meet you at the June launch I'd you don't make the May. I'll be the old geriatric geezer driving a red Explorer with anywhere from 1-3 grandkids in tow.LOL
Oh, was the Zephyr the one the went sideways just off the pad? I wondered what happened.

Hi Oz, I like to build anything unique and that looks fun to fly. I'm going through all my boxes of rocketry stuff from over the years just to see whats still good. I can say most builds to date are low power up to C size motors. Picked up a mid power kit at the launch we had last Saturday, so my and my grandkids entry into F and above has begun LOL
The mid power motors are most likely to cause a cato. Black powder motors become more likely to have a crack as the size increases and when the flame gets to it........ kaboom. So always treat them with care and don't do anything to put a crack in them. Don't drop them... The composite motors are better, but can be harder to light especially the single use ones. If they don't light with the first e-igniter try, you then have to fight through the charring caused from the first igniter to get it lit. The RMS motors you can take apart and add a little bit of helper..... at the top. G64 is my favourite motor.
Good luck.
Norm

Back