• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Scratch built USS Pensacola

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decisions, decisions. My original intent was to put lengths of BT-50 on the wingtips, with nose cones in them. Now I can't decide if I like it better with no nose cones, two nose cones, or all four nose cones.

69_wingtips.jpg

70_wingtips.jpg

71_wingtips.jpg

72_wingtips.jpg

More photos, with the main nose cone. I think I'm leaning towards all four wingtip nose cones. Painting this baby is going to be a bear. I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

74_mockup.jpg

75_mockup.jpg

76_mockup.jpg

77_composite.jpg

Not sure I'm liking these turrets. I'm going to have to do some more playing around with them.

78_turrets.jpg

79_turrets.jpg

80_turrets.jpg

81_turrets.jpg

Not sure I'm liking these turrets. I'm going to have to do some more playing around with them.

I like what I see so far.

On the turrets, FWIW, I would more the aft one forward a bit to give it a bit more of a clear field of fire.

Also, I might make them to be a bit bigger in relation to the ship. Cruiser guns dominated naval ships visually, though not to the extent of battleships.

Still, even if you change nothing, it looks good.

I like what I see so far.

On the turrets, FWIW, I would more the aft one forward a bit to give it a bit more of a clear field of fire.

Also, I might make them to be a bit bigger in relation to the ship. Cruiser guns dominated naval ships visually, though not to the extent of battleships.

Still, even if you change nothing, it looks good.

Thank you for the compliments. I think you're right, the turrets need to be bigger. You know, I struggled with the field of fire question about the placement of the aft turrets in relation to the fins when I first started planning this project. I don't think I'm going to worry too much about it, I think they'll look better farther aft, than amidships.

This is a really tough one to bring any kind of likeness to reality. Your inspiration, however, has yielded a pretty cool looking bird. Nice job.

You've out done yourself on this one.Your right about painting this beauty,just take your time and things will be fine.:wink:

Great looking rocket and and a cool idea for a tribute, now my gears are grindin'... Going to dig out the old pictures of the Guam LPH9 later today.

Qquake2k: Very nice! Another thought on the aft turrets though... Might need to move the forward a skoche to reduce turbulence on your fins. I'm still an apprentice at best in this business, but it popped into my head, so I mention it.

Chadrog: Guam might be easy, just add a 'flight deck' to a rocket. I'm in a similar situation, I was an Enterprise Sailor (65, not 6), that would make for a long flat rocket.

Qquake2k: Very nice! Another thought on the aft turrets though... Might need to move the forward a skoche to reduce turbulence on your fins. I'm still an apprentice at best in this business, but it popped into my head, so I mention it.

Chadrog: Guam might be easy, just add a 'flight deck' to a rocket. I'm in a similar situation, I was an Enterprise Sailor (65, not 6), that would make for a long flat rocket.

Good point about the turbulence. I hadn't thought of that.

An aircraft carrier rocket? Sounds like a boost glider to me!

I went and took a look at you first posts again and something jumped out at me from the pics even more than the guns. That was plane. Maybe you need some sort of auxiliary even if it doesn't glide itself.

More projections and thingies sticking out = more fun.

I went and took a look at you first posts again and something jumped out at me from the pics even more than the guns. That was plane. Maybe you need some sort of auxiliary even if it doesn't glide itself.

More projections and thingies sticking out = more fun.

Yes, the Pensacola had two catapult launched Kingfisher biplanes, that were primarily used for recon and spotting for the big guns. One of my favorite stories from the Pensacola was that a Kingfisher was returning from a patrol over Iwo Jima, when a Japanese Zero came out of nowhere and started flying wingtip to wingtip with the Kingfisher. Both pilots knew the Kingfisher was defenseless against the Zero. Out of desperation, the Kingfisher pilot pulled out his .45 pistol and shot the Zero pilot dead. When he returned to the ship, he made them paint a Japanese flag on the Kingfisher. What a remarkable one-in-a-million shot that was.

I'd love to see where this goes. I'm sure it's hard to translate that kind of design to a rocket, and it seems that you're doing excellent so far. Subscribed. :)
On a related note (to the thread), my grandfather was the Navy as well. He was a helmsman for the U.S.S. Chicago, and actually saw the signing of the treaty that ended the war! (The U.S.S. Chicago was only 3 boats away!)

I'd love to see where this goes. I'm sure it's hard to translate that kind of design to a rocket, and it seems that you're doing excellent so far. Subscribed. :)
On a related note (to the thread), my grandfather was the Navy as well. He was a helmsman for the U.S.S. Chicago, and actually saw the signing of the treaty that ended the war! (The U.S.S. Chicago was only 3 boats away!)

That's really cool! I think the Pensacola was in Tokyo Bay that day, but I'm not sure how close she was to the Missouri.

According to The DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER the Chicago was present in Tokyo Harbor durring the signing but the Pensacola was not. Various sources put the Pensacola at Adak Alaska at the end of hostilities.

Pensacola acted in support of operations At Iwo Jima providing artillary bombardment. My father served as a grunt Marine at Iwo Jima so our fathers served in the same battle.:handshake:

Pensacola was used as a TEST ship during operation CROSSROADS at Bikini Atoll in 1946. She survived the nuclear tests and was decomissioned a month later. Her hulk was sunk as a target in 1948.

Pensacola recieved 13 battle stars for service during WWII.

A proud ship with a rich history. Her wartime exploits make for some great reading.

According to The DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER the Chicago was present in Tokyo Harbor durring the signing but the Pensacola was not. Various sources put the Pensacola at Adak Alaska at the end of hostilities.

Pensacola acted in support of operations At Iwo Jima providing artillary bombardment. My father served as a grunt Marine at Iwo Jima so our fathers served in the same battle.:handshake:

Pensacola was used as a TEST ship during operation CROSSROADS at Bikini Atoll in 1946. She survived the nuclear tests and was decomissioned a month later. Her hulk was sunk as a target in 1948.

Pensacola recieved 13 battle stars for service during WWII.

A proud ship with a rich history. Her wartime exploits make for some great reading.

Where did you find that information? I'm always interested in learning more about the Pensacola. I remember Dad mentioning Adak, but I know they were in Tokyo Bay at some point. I have the Japanese flag my dad stole off a garbage scow. LOL

Yes, the Pensacola got hit hard at Iwo Jima by shore batteries, when she was doing close bombardment. I've heard she got as close as 1500 yards trying to take out the Japanese guns. She got hit 6 times by shells during that. That's where my dad lost his best friend.

Where did you find that information? I'm always interested in learning more about the Pensacola. I remember Dad mentioning Adak, but I know they were in Tokyo Bay at some point. I have the Japanese flag my dad stole off a garbage scow. LOL

Yes, the Pensacola got hit hard at Iwo Jima by shore batteries, when she was doing close bombardment. I've heard she got as close as 1500 yards trying to take out the Japanese guns. She got hit 6 times by shells during that. That's where my dad lost his best friend.

Pensacola was involved in supporting the occupation of northern Japan and ferrying soldiers home after the war as part of OPERATION MAGIC CARPET. This is probably when your dad got his flag. She appears to have been at sea during the the actual signing enroute from Adak to northern Honshu.

https://www.history.navy.mil/index.html

https://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/p4/pensacola-iii.htm

https://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq69-2.htm

Awesomeness of a build. I was worried you'd left as yoru ubiquitous posts had dried up. Captain this could be a series of refinements. Not only leading to a tribute ship, but to a boost glider (large ones like astronmike flies over on YORF) and some cool sci-fi ships. Who knows where it will lead?

Off topic ,have you posted any repairs to the fleet??

Last edited:
Awesomeness of a build. I was worried you'd left as yoru ubiquitous posts had dried up. Captain this could be a series of refinements. Not only leading to a tribute ship, but to a boost glider (large ones like astronmike flies over on YORF) and some cool sci-fi ships. Who knows where it will lead?

Off topic ,have you posted any repairs to the fleet??

Not sure I want to tackle a parasitic boost glider. While it fits with the Pensacola theme, a biplane doesn't fit the futuristic space theme. I suppose I could do a shuttle of some sort, with wings to make it glide. But for right now I want to just concentrate on the rocket itself.

No, haven't made any repairs yet. I've been really busy at work. We got new office furniture, so I've been crawling around cutting holes for cabling and such. I've been so tired when I get home, all I want to do is sit in front of the TV in a catatonic state. Plus, my van had a bent piston rod, so I've been dealing with that. It was a three week and $2000 affair.

I still need to cut the top off of Fat Pat and see how she looks. I may not need to add a coupler and short length of body tube. I still need to fix the broken fin on Meat Grinder. I think all that will entail is to sand near the root edge with the Dremel, and apply a super thick epoxy fillet. That's how I fixed the fin on my LOC-IV. As for Stage Fright, I think I'll fly it as a single stage for now on 24mm reloads. If I do make a new booster, it'll have 3x24mm mounts. It needs more oomph off the pad, and a little more momentum at separation.

The first Snow Ranch launch is tomorrow, and I'm happy about that. It's been windy, though, so I hope it's not too windy to launch. I really want to get Tank Girl into the air!

I like where your going with this--Looks great! I'll shoot some ideas out--but this is your baby.I like the turrets but consider this--Lady Pens had her turrets stacked with the lower units having 2 guns and the upper having 3 . maybe build a bit smaller turrets and stack them-that said streamline them a tiny bit, keep it retro. Put a smaller lower profile bridge between the fore and aft guns.Might even move the stern guns forward a bit.Modify the nose cone just a tad to resemble a ships bow. And finally put some smaller cal guns in turrets out on the wings. By the way I prefer the tip pods with a nose cone and no tail cone. One last rediculus idea-- Maybe a midship bulge to mimic the cruiser battelship hull designes of the time. Like I said , just my 2 cents--You've already done the hard part and done the old girl PROUD

The first Snow Ranch launch is tomorrow, and I'm happy about that. It's been windy, though, so I hope it's not too windy to launch. I really want to get Tank Girl into the air!

Fly the QCC, Cap'n. You'll like her.

Back