Runcam 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't get 4 or 5 to work, why would I want a #6?
Legitimate question. I went through a few Runcam 2 4Ks. Missed my L3 flight video because it shut off right before launch. I have some beautiful footage of tests in my backyard, but rocket flights, not so much.

I am hoping this one works. The thing is, there is no other mini action camera with this kind of image quality, IF you can get it to work. The Mobius is more reliable but not the same image quality.

that's the thing. I have never captured a flight video. They shut off, time out or just do not record on the card.
Yep. I do know a few people who have gotten great videos with them, some of whom have posted them here on TRF. My luck with Runcams has been the same as yours so far. I’m gonna roll the dice on the new one and see what happens.

Make sure you have the most resent firmware and also use only the memory card they recommend. I hated mine till I updated the firmware.

Make sure you have the most resent firmware and also use only the memory card they recommend. I hated mine till I updated the firmware.
Yep, Samsung card and latest firmware on my last RC 2 4K attempt. Very nice footage of the ground beneath the pad. Shut off a minute or so before launch.

I have a RunCam Split 3 that has taken more than a few successful videos. The trick with the RunCams (and probably most other similar cameras) is that they were designed for drones. Without air flowing over the electronics, they have a proclivity for overheating and shutting off. I added a large heat sink on the CPU.of mine which helped. I've still found that I cannot generally use it when it's really hot at a launch.

I have a RunCam Split 3 that has taken more than a few successful videos. The trick with the RunCams (and probably most other similar cameras) is that they were designed for drones. Without air flowing over the electronics, they have a proclivity for overheating and shutting off. I added a large heat sink on the CPU.of mine which helped. I've still found that I cannot generally use it when it's really hot at a launch.
I have a split 4. Haven’t flown it yet but have tested it a bit. Images are not as good as RC 2 4K but I like that you don’t have to open the case and re-cable the lens just so you can put just the lens outside of the air frame. It runs about 45 minutes before shutting off, with no heat sink added yet. I’m sure it would shut off sooner in a rocket sitting in the sun.

Do you have any footage posted from your 3? Any pics of how it’s mounted and/or your heat sink?

A new camera should come ready to use.
You’d think. Unfortunately it’s not just these little drone cameras. I went through three new Go Pro 11 Minis in a row when they were released. None of them would run for more than a few minutes without shutting off. (Amazon was good about the refunds.) The 11 Mini seemed perfect for wearing on my head when flying sailplanes, but I’m still using 9s and 10s because those have been very reliable for me.

I also had problems with the RunCam's shutting off after overheating. Following the advice of others, I built a runcam split mount that fits in a 54mm fiberglass body tube (at the shoulder of the nose cone). I added a heat sink to the CPU and use an Eggtimer WiFi switch to turn the unit on and off, so it doesn't overheat while sitting on the pad.

2024-01-28-15-28-01-large-jpg.626755
2024-01-28 15.28.06 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• 2024-01-28 15.28.01 (Large).jpg
    2024-01-28 15.28.01 (Large).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 167
I have a split 4. Haven’t flown it yet but have tested it a bit. Images are not as good as RC 2 4K but I like that you don’t have to open the case and re-cable the lens just so you can put just the lens outside of the air frame. It runs about 45 minutes before shutting off, with no heat sink added yet. I’m sure it would shut off sooner in a rocket sitting in the sun.

Do you have any footage posted from your 3? Any pics of how it’s mounted and/or your heat sink?
I do but they are not accessible at the moment. I'll post here when I can access them.
I should add that I also use an Eggtimer WiFi switch to turn the camera on as late as possible to avoid overheating.

I have also added heat sinks to my RC splits. The RC 2 4k's I have are always on a shroud outside, so perhaps that's why I've never had a heating problem? Even in summer in south Texas. Bit yeah I totally agree that anything inside the avbay needs cooling. I have even added heat sinks to my eggtimer wifi switches and any of their altimeters with BT. Those BT modules get hot too and I've had them shut down on me while sitting on the pad. Since I've added heatsinks I have not had that problem.

I bought one to test making shrouds. I have a few projects in front of that.

Ok, just tried the Runcam 6 for the first time. Camera tested fine at home. Ran for 12 minutes and 37 seconds on the pad, then shut off as the LCO started the countdown. Another beautiful video of the launch pad and dirt, with no flight footage. So it’s just as reliable as the Runcam 2 4K was. Awesome.

I am still shocked by the amount of Runcam failures I read on here. Besides the self inflicted problems of not properly powering it up, I've only had one failure, and that was upon landing on a hard airport runway, so didn't miss much. Since then I have always added a small foam pad between the battery and the bat. cover to ensure no hard hit dislodge of the battery. Heat wise... I'm in south Texas. For as long as I power up on the pad, even after 30 minutes till launch I get good video (and that's with no vent holes which I plan to use going forward on all of my RC 2 4ks and the 6). I wonder if it's the shock that temporarily dislodges the battery causing a reset? I haven't flown the 6 yet but with my experience on the 2 4ks, I think I know how to harden it. After all, it's made for drones, not our hard start/hard landing/ high Gs.

I am still shocked by the amount of Runcam failures I read on here. Besides the self inflicted problems of not properly powering it up, I've only had one failure, and that was upon landing on a hard airport runway, so didn't miss much. Since then I have always added a small foam pad between the battery and the bat. cover to ensure no hard hit dislodge of the battery. Heat wise... I'm in south Texas. For as long as I power up on the pad, even after 30 minutes till launch I get good video (and that's with no vent holes which I plan to use going forward on all of my RC 2 4ks and the 6). I wonder if it's the shock that temporarily dislodges the battery causing a reset? I haven't flown the 6 yet but with my experience on the 2 4ks, I think I know how to harden it. After all, it's made for drones, not our hard start/hard landing/ high Gs.
My on-pad failures on both the 2 4K and now the 6 all stopped recording before anything happened, so not shock-related. I’m assuming overheating since this one shut off short of 13 minutes, but maybe it’s something else. It’s really baffling to me that these cameras would test fine at home, in the shroud, then fail in actual use. Wasn’t all that hot (low 90s) yesterday, so I don’t know what the deal was. I have had 3 successive failures with RC 2 4K, followed by this 6 failure - 100% failure rate. I flew a Mobius last month, worked great as always, wish I had just stuck with that for yesterday’s flight.

Good to know. I have several flights planned next weekend with the 2 4k only at this point. Will update everyone on the results. And yeah it's gonna be hot as hell and not my local club LOL, so this will be interesting. I've been interested in trying the Mobius. Still appears to be in production with the maxi I think it is? Might give it a try.

Good to know. I have several flights planned next weekend with the 2 4k only at this point. Will update everyone on the results. And yeah it's gonna be hot as hell and not my local club LOL, so this will be interesting. I've been interested in trying the Mobius. Still appears to be in production with the maxi I think it is? Might give it a try.
Here is the Mobius I have that works:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/m...wide-angle-camera-1440p-std-package-mobm1s-c2

I tried a Mobius Maxi too, and it was glitchy as heck, never got a flight video. If you have RunCams that are working, hopefully they will keep working for you. Would love to see any videos you have posted.

Here is a flight with my Mobius from March. Spun too much on the boost but the image gets better as it nears apogee:

Here is the Mobius I have that works:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/m...wide-angle-camera-1440p-std-package-mobm1s-c2

I tried a Mobius Maxi too, and it was glitchy as heck, never got a flight video. If you have RunCams that are working, hopefully they will keep working for you. Would love to see any videos you have posted.

Here is a flight with my Mobius from March. Spun too much on the boost but the image gets better as it nears apogee:

Have a RunCam6 I am going to fly at the Texas Shootout next weekend. Added vent holes to Inverted Pursuits camera shroud so hopefully that will help.
Fingers crossed as weather forecast is high 80s and low 90s. Will try and fly first thing in the morning.

Have a RunCam6 I am going to fly at the Texas Shootout next weekend. Added vent holes to Inverted Pursuits camera shroud so hopefully that will help.
Fingers crossed as weather forecast is high 80s and low 90s. Will try and fly first thing in the morning.
Good luck to you! Let us know what happens. Hopefully you will be able to post the video.

I need to correct what is likely wrong information that I have posted on this thread. It appears that the Runcams are not overheating or running out of power, they may in fact be resetting from the shock of the rocket launching as 311stylie noted above. I was confused because it appeared they were shutting off well before launch, since the video recording ended well before launch, but it looks like the reset caused by the launch causes the loss of a significant amount of video on the end of the last file recorded.

I had put hard rubber in the battery doors that just fits, so one would think that would prevent the battery from moving and breaking contact, but I guess it doesn’t. Not sure what else to do. I don’t think I can cram anything else in there and still close the battery door.

Since the Mobius has a non-removable battery that likely cannot break contact, that is probably why I have had zero failures with that camera.

I hope others find this info useful, and my apologies for the incorrect info I posted previously.

For those having issues are you running a shroud with the vents in the sides? I have two flights on my RC6 first flight the motor chuffed and I wasn't running electronic ejection so my 4" LOC Goblin augered in.. the video didn't save although I could tell by a csv file it was recording.. im assuming the shock shut it off without saving.. the next flight two weeks later..(same rocket rebuilt, nicknamed goblin wormhunter) went well and came out amazingRC6 rebuilt 4" LOC Goblin CTI I470

For those having issues are you running a shroud with the vents in the sides? I have two flights on my RC6 first flight the motor chuffed and I wasn't running electronic ejection so my 4" LOC Goblin augered in.. the video didn't save although I could tell by a csv file it was recording.. im assuming the shock shut it off without saving.. the next flight two weeks later..(same rocket rebuilt, nicknamed goblin wormhunter) went well and came out amazingRC6 rebuilt 4" LOC Goblin CTI I470
Great video! Thanks for posting. What have you done, if anything, to pad the battery door or otherwise prevent shock disconnect?

Yes, I am using a vented shroud. The camera runs fine in that shroud sitting in the sun. In my case, it’s clearly the launch shock that is the issue. Probably worth adding that I am flying M impulse motors, so the thrust is also a likely factor if the issue is shock disconnect, e.g, more powerful motor equals more likely problem.

I need to correct what is likely wrong information that I have posted on this thread. It appears that the Runcams are not overheating or running out of power, they may in fact be resetting from the shock of the rocket launching as 311stylie noted above. I was confused because it appeared they were shutting off well before launch, since the video recording ended well before launch, but it looks like the reset caused by the launch causes the loss of a significant amount of video on the end of the last file recorded.

I had put hard rubber in the battery doors that just fits, so one would think that would prevent the battery from moving and breaking contact, but I guess it doesn’t. Not sure what else to do. I don’t think I can cram anything else in there and still close the battery door.

Since the Mobius has a non-removable battery that likely cannot break contact, that is probably why I have had zero failures with that camera.

I hope others find this info useful, and my apologies for the incorrect info I posted previously.

How about cushioning it with 6mm Sorbothane?

TP

How about cushioning it with 6mm Sorbothane?

TP
Maybe. Since the objective is to keep the battery from moving at all, I would think something very hard would be best, since it would compress less.

JK, I'll be trying the runcam 6 for the first time at Texas Shootout this weekend. It will be on the sustainer of a 2-stage, so it will see two events of g loading. BUT.. it's looking down not up. I am thinking try it with no foam strip over the SD card just to see what happens. I'm debating that theory. I may throw in a trimmed down foam or cork piece just for peace of mind. I'll let everyone know.

Back