Retro Rockets from the 50's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,

Thanks for the nice words! I currently don't have a digital camera that can really capture a good launch shot, just good enough to show it really did fly. I'll certainly try to get that much. As for the plans, I just worked off a drawing that is online. I think Steve and Mark have links to it on their sites. I scaled the dimensions off of that. Also used it to print fin templates. I will write a review for EMRR, whether the launch is successful or not. I sure hope my foamboard fins don't come apart under G power!

Dick,

Your model came out FANTASTIC. Holey Moley! What a great result. You must be incredubly jazzed that it's dome and came out so perfect (and nervous that you have to fly it). Good work. I can't say enough. Can't wait to hear the flight report! Good luck!!!!

Marc

Dick,

As usual, you have done a phenominal job!

Well done bro...I want flight pics!!!!!

Carl

Marc, Carl -

I appreciate your nice comments. I think my level of apprehension/ excitement hasn't been this great since my L2 flight. And I don't think I've put in as much work since, either!

Well, my first launch opportunity got rained out :mad: I plan on borrowing my son's digital camera and making a digital clip of the launch (hopefully!!!).

I submitted some pics to EMRR's current contest. If you load the non-edited pic, you can see additional details on the model.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/photo_contest6.shtml

Those are great pictures. I love the 3rd one, the futuristic space flight. Very nice. I hope you win.

Oh, and thanks for the Rocketry Forum plug. :)

I hope youse guys are right!

Oh, and I'm happy to give plugs for things I like :p

Originally posted by marclee
One of my loves (besides military rocket scale models) is anything to do with those great rockets that peeople envisioned from the early 50's and 60's. You know, the sleek shapes and futuristic style. Most of those were illustrated by a guy named Chelsey Bonestell.

[...]

Check out the latest Sport Rocketry. There is a really nice plan by Len Fehskens called the Vincia. Reminds me of the old fantasy ships you reference. I love them, too.

Len had BMS cut the fins, and Bill at BMS is considering "kitting" the parts, which would include nose cone, tail cone, and probably the centering ring, too. (Read this on RMR).

Hello all!

Good news and bad news. First the good. My Fireball flew today on a G40-4. Given the wind, I should have gone for a G80 tho. Although it maintained an arching trajectory, it did a major corkscrew, especially after burn out. No skywriting, flipping head-over-heals etc. It did sustain a 2-3" zipper, which should be easily fixed. I'll try again on a G80 on a calmer day. Any flight that basically survives is good in my book :D (could have flown again without repairs)

Now the bad. My skills with my kid's digital camera suck and somehow I got a movie of an empty pad. How I missed the whole flight I'll never know. :mad:

In the next few days I finish my review for EMRR.

Dick,

A quick tip when snapping digital pics. I have taught this to a ton of guys and it has worked every time.

When you have the photo you want in view, push the button down HALF WAY and hold it there! you will hear it click a bit. Now when you push it the rest of the way, the picture will take instantly.

You were probably pushing it all the way during launch and if not preset, most digital cameras delay the shot by about 1/2 second from a full push, giving the camera time to set and focus. Doing it half way and holding pre sets it.

Hope that helps you for next time.

Carl

Carl,

ACK! I knew that :( But I didn't carry that bit of knwoledge over to the movie mode. :mad:

PLUS, I should have started it WAY in advance.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. I rarely use the camera and tend to forget things in between. Now that you pointed it out in this case, I might actually retain it. :) Thanks!

Dick,

Nice article. I didn't realize just how complex the model is! (such as the transition between two tubes -- never noticed that before).

You mention that the red and yellow is Trim Monokote. Do you mean the adhesive kind that comes in the 36" by ~4" sheets? If so, how do you get it to wrap around the curved ends so well?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Lee Reep
...You mention that the red and yellow is Trim Monokote. Do you mean the adhesive kind that comes in the 36" by ~4" sheets? If so, how do you get it to wrap around the curved ends so well?

I appreciate your feedback, thanks! And, that is a very good question, I should put this in the review.

First, that is the stuff I'm talking about. Here's what I did:

1. For the curved sections, carefully measure and mark the points along the edge of the fin where the trim will go.
2. Cut a 1" wide piece of trim that is the exact length of the path to be covered. I would cut a piece a little long, lay it onto the curve, and then trim it to the exact length.
3. Cut slits along each side, leaving about 1/8 in the center. I started cutting them approximately every 1/8 inch on the tighter bends, and up to every 1/2 inch as the curve straighened out.
4. Remove the backing and start installing it on the edge of the fin. Work your way along, laying down the tabs as you go.
5. For straight sections, I just cut rectangular strips that overlapped the face of the fins ~ 1/2 inch. The width varied with the thickness of the fin being covered.
6. Using the templates used to make the fin itself, cut pieces of Monokote that are ~ 1/4 inch smaller in all dimensions. That way, these pieces sit on top of the strips that have already been installed, but do not go right to the edges of the fin.

Up close you see the seams of course, but from a distance it looks smooth.

Dick,

Thanks for the explanation of applying Trim Monokote to curved surfaces. However, I'm tired just from reading the technique description ...

:)

You obviously have lots of patience! I do like Trim Monokote -- I've used for several projects.

You are right -- from a distance you cannot see any seams.

Back