Recommendation: Chainsaws

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the chaps are made for the gas saws and tested with same. The torque some of the electrics make will let them keep going when a gas saw will stop (obviously dependent on the saws in question).

Give it a few years and the chaps will be tested/rated and manufactured for these, hopefully. Or they will modify the clutch on the electrics to make them behave a little more mildly.

Don't treat the electrics as toys. They will just cut you much more quietly.
They are still saws for sure. BTW we did sound testing on the DeWalt DCCS670B no load full rpm was 102 dBa, and cutting a 4x4 was 91 dBa iirc the sound measurements so hearing protection is still a must have.

Chaps both A and C will provide some protection but are not guaranteed to stop an electric saw like they will a gas saw. Best way to match the chaps to the saw is to know the chain velocity (feet/minute or m/s) and get chaps that are rated for that.

Occasionally I get an urge to not put on chaps if the job is one or two simple cuts.

Then I remember 12 years of ER and OR nursing.

Then I put on the chaps.

Never seen a pretty chainsaw accident. :confused:

Occasionally I get an urge to not put on chaps if the job is one or two simple cuts.

Then I remember 12 years of ER and OR nursing.

Then I put on the chaps.

Never seen a pretty chainsaw accident. :confused:
I have experience with chainsaws and the wrong limb...mine. The damage area was just at the top of the left knee and require two sets of stitches to close, internal and external, a splint to prevent bending of the leg and about 8 weeks of recovery. Obviously I still have the scar almost 40 years later, and some sensation/feeling loss in that area. I take chainsaws very seriously.

Yeah, the chaps are made for the gas saws and tested with same. The torque some of the electrics make will let them keep going when a gas saw will stop (obviously dependent on the saws in question).

Give it a few years and the chaps will be tested/rated and manufactured for these, hopefully. Or they will modify the clutch on the electrics to make them behave a little more mildly.

Don't treat the electrics as toys. They will just cut you much more quietly.
I have a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee. My main use of it is for plowing snow. A few years ago I bought a box scraper to maintain my gravel driveway and that of my sister's and a local friend's. My Sister has 160 acres of land about 2 miles from me & has hiking trails on it. I had to remove a couple of fallen trees and once I cut them up (with my electric chainsaw) but I didn't have a boom lift so dragging them was troublesome. So I made a boom to lift the front end of a log so it doesn't catch up on things.

Last fall a large red oak tree blew down across the county road that my driveway starts on and my mailbox is situated. The county cleared the branches on the road but the main trunk has been sitting out by my mailbox since then I decided to harvest it with my electric chainsaw and tractor with boom.

The tree had blown over so I needed to cut the bottom end to pull it. I then got my Jubilee and skidded it across the road onto my property. It was 15'8" long and averaged 14" in diameter. I figured out the volume and looked up the weight of green red oak and it turned out to be 4000#!

I then cut it up with my cordless 80v chainsaw. I went through 2 batteries. Today I got out my log splitter and split half of it. My electric 80v chainsaw really cut though the tree. I'm very pleased!

So, we sell Stihl at work. They’re good. They do make an electric version as well, but it has its own special batteries. Upside is the same battery works in all their battery powered tools.
If you buy a gas saw, look into prepackaged gas. It has the oil premixed (if needed…), and is high octane to last on the shelf (and in the machine) longer. If you buy a gallon (or two gal) can and mix your own fuel, still buy the highest octane available. You’ll thank me later when the saw has sat for six months and still starts right up. The number one reason for repairs at our shop for homeowner saw and trimmers is no start, and bad fuel is almost always the reason. The benefit of spending a little more money and buying your gas saw (or whatever tool) at a dealer that specializes in said machines is that they take them out it the box, assemble them, then run them. They adjust the carb (less adjustments these days, but still some) for best running/speed. You buy a gas saw in a box, you hope it works. Just my $.02

Holy crap! That’s the most I’ve written in a long time… sorry :oops:

I might just put this here…

View attachment 653099
That isn't just chain saws. I remember being in a hand surgeon's office and meeting a guy who reached into a snowblower to clean out some junk that was jamming it. When that happens, the augur can spring back, even if it's not being driven. Several of his fingers were re-attached, but they didn't all take. Then there are table saws. I remember using one, with great caution, that had already taken some fingers, though not mine.

I want to thank you for all the replies. I have read them all. I did purchase a 6" battery-powered version from Amazon. What is more, I did appreciate all of the recommendations to get PPE and some of the stories about why they are important. Therefore, I got a proper chainsaw helmet and chainsaw gloves. So far, the little chainsaw seems to be working as well as we hoped. Safety can never be overstated when it comes to the potential of life-altering injuries.

Also, I will say the breadth of practical knowledge that the rocket community has is a true gift. There are some very smart and experienced folks in this community are more than happy to share their advice. Good on ya!

Thanks again.

I want to thank you for all the replies. I have read them all. I did purchase a 6" battery-powered version from Amazon. What is more, I did appreciate all of the recommendations to get PPE and some of the stories about why they are important. Therefore, I got a proper chainsaw helmet and chainsaw gloves. So far, the little chainsaw seems to be working as well as we hoped. Safety can never be overstated when it comes to the potential of life-altering injuries.

Also, I will say the breadth of practical knowledge that the rocket community has is a true gift. There are some very smart and experienced folks in this community are more than happy to share their advice. Good on ya!

Thanks again.
Excellent. Care to share which one you bought from Amazon? Might help point future folks towards success.

Don't discount the rechargeable/battery saws
Project Farm youtube channel has been mentioned here several times- they have a good number of videos related to chainsaws- such as gas saws, electric saws, chain sharpening. They show on video how well the different saws cut.

Back