Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable."

"Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon is that complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases, and that’s why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the Moon? Are the gases such that we could do that?"

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee

"Failure will never stand in the way of success if you learn from it."​
HANK AARON​

"The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable."

"Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon is that complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases, and that’s why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the Moon? Are the gases such that we could do that?"

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
Cancer.jpg

+1 my astronomy teacher showed us a video once of a news caster who didn’t know that the moon was a moon not a planet.
"Think about how dumb the average person is. Then remember half of people are even dumber then that. Then remember that those people vote."

-a former co-worker of mine

I call this quote "instant despair."

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
And next we'll probably learn of her project to land on the sun. At night, of course.

+1 my astronomy teacher showed us a video once of a news caster who didn’t know that the moon was a moon not a planet.

So many newscasters these days have journalism or "communications" degrees from Thomas Richard Harrison Memorial College, and get hired because they perform well and look good on camera. Sheila Jackson Lee has an undergrad degree from Yale and a law degree from UVA. More and more, people look at college as little more than job training, and ignore the old fashioned notion of a well rounded education. And, here we are.

Last edited:

“Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear his shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.” -- R. A. Heinlein

Don't know what kind of math RAH was talking about, but in 2024 the US has a huge majority that is unable to cope with simple arithmetic above 2nd or 3rd grade level. Addition and subtraction of two-digit numbers. Multiplication of single-digit numbers.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- R. A. Heinlein

Is "huge majority" based on data or is it anecdotal.
Both. Ill have to dig it up but the figure I recall was 85% having fourth-grade or lower math ability. I suspect every person on this forum has anecdotal evidence. A few real-world examples: inability to make change in a $1 purchase. Inability to estimate sales tax (that's in the US. I know, civilized countries add tax to the sales price automatically). University students enrolled in premed who were unable to multiply single-digit numbers w/o a calculator. Nursing students who couldn't do fractions or decimals: 1/2 + 1/3 = who knows? ("But I gave her 100 mg!" "Uh...you gave her 1000 mg. She's dead.")

I have thought---very seriously---about vending an all-natural product to the stooopids, using the law that was passed in the 90s that permits 'all natural' products in OTC ersatz-meds. Pretty sure I could be rich, or at least well-to-do.... but ethics.:oops:

I have thought---very seriously---about vending an all-natural product to the stooopids, using the law that was passed in the 90s that permits 'all natural' products in OTC ersatz-meds. Pretty sure I could be rich, or at least well-to-do.... but ethics.:oops:
Ricin is all natural.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- R. A. Heinlein
That’s the sort of person I aspire to be…

A human being should be able to:
  • change a diaper: Yes.
  • plan an invasion: Probably not.
  • butcher a hog: I did a side of lamb once.
  • conn a ship: I think I could get the hang of it.
  • design a building: Probably.
  • write a sonnet: No.
  • balance accounts: Yes.
  • build a wall: Yes.
  • set a bone: No.
  • comfort the dying: Yes.
  • take orders: Yes.
  • give orders: Yes.
  • cooperate: Yes.
  • act alone: Yes.
  • solve equations: Yes.
  • analyze a new problem: Yes
  • pitch manure: I guess.
  • program a computer: Yes.
  • cook a tasty meal: Yes.
  • fight efficiently: No.
  • die gallantly: TBD
Specialization is for insects.
But only a few of those can I do really well. Specialization is what allows for true expertise.

change a diaper,
Yes
plan an invasion,
Yes
butcher a hog,
Yes
conn a ship,
I could figure it out
design a building,
Probably
write a sonnet,
Yes
balance accounts,
Yes
build a wall,
Yes
set a bone,
Yes
comfort the dying,
No
take orders,
Yes
give orders,
Yes
cooperate,
Yes
act alone,
1000% yes
solve equations,
which ones?
analyze a new problem,
Yes
pitch manure,
Yes
program a computer,
Yes
cook a tasty meal,
I make good pasta
fight efficiently,
I know how to fly a mirage 2000
die gallantly.
YTBD

Change a diaper: pletty of experience
Plan an invasion: never had the opportunity, but I would love to try
Butcher a hog: observed, but never done
Conn a ship: sail boats 30' and under, ski boats
Design a building: single level shacks
Write a sonnet: no chance
Balance accounts: plenty of experience
Build a wall: stud - y, stone - small, concrete - no experience, steel - not pretty but reasonably solid...
Set a bone: understand the concept, no opportunity to try
Comfort the dying: above my pay grade
Take/give orders: some experience at both
Cooperate: I do try
Act alone: frequently as necessary
Solve equations: reasonably good in my younger years
Analyze a new problem: In some problem spaces
Pitch manure: no experience but if necessary
Program a computer: Made a good living for several decades
Cook a tasty meal: boil water, boiled/fried/baked eggs...
Fight efficiently: never a high priority
Die gallantly: won't know for a while, I hope

Not sure how to score this, but I feel reasonbly human.

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."​
W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM​

“Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a blank piece of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.” -- Gene Fowler​

[...or until you've gritted your teeth down to the pulp. -- me]

Back