Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting."​
WILLIAM ARTHUR WARD​

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life."​
BILL WATTERSON​

It's Friedrich Nietzsche
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you."​

That's from goodreads.com; I don't know what came in between the two sentences that goodreads chose to omit.

I don't get philosophers.

You know the old chestnut about tomatoes being fruit? (Yes, it's connected.) Tomatoes are not unusual in this. Look up and down the produce aisle at the "vegetables". The peppers (bell and hot) are fruits. Pea pods (sugar snap peas, snow peas) are fruits. The entire squash and gourd family from cucumbers to pumpkins are fruits. And yet people keep talking about tomatoes. The only interesting thing about that is why people keep talking about it, and why tomatoes?

To me, the only interesting thing about philosophy is why people keep talking about it, writing books about it, teaching classes about, and getting degrees about it. Why is there so much interest in thinking about thinking about stuff, instead of thinking about stuff?

Last edited:
It's Friedrich Nietzsche
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you."​

That's from goodreads.com; I don't know what came in between the two sentences that goodreads chose to omit.
Thank you!

Ps for the most part I agree that philosophy is a bit silly but I think it can be important when talking about government and politics.

Ps for the most part I agree that philosophy is a bit silly but I think it can be important when talking about government and politics.
Philosophy is not silly. Study of it is extremely underrated and desperately needs to be brought back to public schools. It equips the student with critical thinking skills in a way that no other discipline does.

Philosophy is not silly. Study of it is extremely underrated and desperately needs to be brought back to public schools. It equips the student with critical thinking skills in a way that no other discipline does.
I prefer debating for that, it has the parts of philosophy I like and not the ones I dislike.

Ps I guess we can just bring them both back…

I prefer debating for that, it has the parts of philosophy I like and not the ones I dislike.

Ps I guess we can just bring them both back…
I made my side comment as a spoiler in hopes this wouldn't happen, or would happen in a subthread contained entirely in spoilers. I guess I should have known better. :rolleyes:

One more and I'll drop the topic - calling philosophy "thinking about thinking" kind of overly dumbs down what philosophy is about. How to think logically is philosophy. Distinguishing science from pseudoscience is philosophy. Ethics (what we "should" do) is philosophy. How to properly investigate a question (i.e. do science) is philosophy. Articulating an idea persuasively is philosophy. Deciding what is important (to you, to your family, and to the human race) and why is philosophy. Philosophy is at the root of all other academic disciplines, and greater consideration needs to be given to give students that underpinning, because it can be applied to just about any area of life imaginable, and many of the questions we can answer with it are far more interesting and meaningful than what distinguishes a fruit from a vegetable. Does God exist, and how can we know? How "should" things be, and why? Do the rights of the individual trump the rights of the group or vice versa, and why? Philosophers are people who dedicate their lives to these questions, and while not all of them come up with good answers, refuting the bad answers is also philosophy.

“It is the mark of an educated man to look for precision in each class of things just so far as the nature of the subject admits; it is evidently equally foolish to accept probable reasoning from a mathematician and to demand from a rhetorician scientific proofs."

-Aristotle

Back