PML AMRAAM 2.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing this rocket. I've read two really good reviews on it (Carl's here on the Forum and another at EMRR).

Any other opinions? Is it a good rocket for Level 1 certification?

Milo,

You know my oppinion as I have/had two of them. good strong rocket with quality parts and a lot less of them than an Aerotech kit.

If you want to fly F - H, it's a very good kit. However, if you want HPR only...get something bigger. On an H128W, the Amraam 2 is a BULLET!!! It also gets up there in altitude, about 2700' on a H load. Not trying to discourage you though, if you want one, buy it! I did.

Most people opt for a larger rocket, something in the 3" range or larger. Bigger rockets are usually HPR only, H - J motor loads, but they are easier to work on since the parts are bigger and they have lower, more manageable altitudes for your first L1.

Whatever you decide, there are plenty of choices out there and I am a big fan of PML, LOC, Binder and Rocket R & D/Thoy. All have great kits at an affordable price. Choose you motor range, then go find a rocket you like that fits that range.

Something to keep in mind...Reloads DO go up in price proportionally to the loadout/size of the rocket.

Good luck on your Quest,

Carl

One more thing...you should move this to the HPR page if its about a Level 1 choice.....delete this note when moved

Originally posted by CTulanko
One more thing...you should move this to the HPR page if its about a Level 1 choice.....delete this note when moved

Well that cert question was just thrown in there at the end. When I started the post I was thinking about just building a fun rocket. But then realized it would take an H so I thought about doing Level 1 with it.

Bottomline: it is more of a fun rocket than trying to get Level 1.

Just flew ours for the first time. Good flight but did wind cock rather a lot. Originally built a PML Quasar for level 1 but its too heavy for the Aerotech mantis pad. Will have to upgrade to a black sky rail over the winter.

Back