problems with old E9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I have another thread on the rocket but this thread concerns the motors. Someone in my club gave me 4 of these motors of unknown age and unknown storage history. I built a rocket to use them out of found materials, basically trash, so I wouldn't have any money invested if the motors decided to CATO.
As it turned out 1 of the motors launched completely satisfactorily, the other 3 blew out their nozzles on ignition and just sat on the pad burning. Considering unknown age and history I don't think this experience if worth reporting but someone here might be interested. Also with the nozzles not in the motors the ejection charges were vented out the back and did not break through the clay cap. Here is a photo of one of the motors burning on the pad.DSC_0605r.jpg

I have another thread on the rocket but this thread concerns the motors. Someone in my club gave me 4 of these motors of unknown age and unknown storage history. I built a rocket to use them out of found materials, basically trash, so I wouldn't have any money invested if the motors decided to CATO.
As it turned out 1 of the motors launched completely satisfactorily, the other 3 blew out their nozzles on ignition and just sat on the pad burning. Considering unknown age and history I don't think this experience if worth reporting but someone here might be interested. Also with the nozzles not in the motors the ejection charges were vented out the back and did not break through the clay cap. Here is a photo of one of the motors burning on the pad.View attachment 641849

IMG_1566.jpeg

I don’t consider this particularly surprising either, given what is known about black powder. Is the rocket still flyable? Seems like a good way to burn through 24mm motors in a big hurry.

EDIT: I saw elsewhere that it is MIA. Too bad, that ended up with a nice livery, against all odds.

Is the rocket still flyable? Seems like a good way to burn through 24mm motors in a big hurry.
The successful launches were the 2nd and 5th attempts, the failed motors didn't damage the rocket since they didn't even break through the clay caps. I didn't have to re-pack the recovery gear, just wrap tape around the next motor for friction fit and take it back out to the pad.
I didn't cry too much for missing the rocket although I hated to leave the "trash" out on the field. It is all cardboard so will break down pretty quickly when we have more rain in a week or so.

Common motor to fails and that is why they were discontinued.

Suggest building a trash rocket or saucer to sly any others you acquire.

Back