Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am becoming tired of seeing Physicians Assistants and Nurse Practitioners.

I know they fill a need, and I know doctors are horrendously busy...but I have not seen my PriCare MD in nearly three years. Had to make an appointment with him in November to be able to see him next month. The only time I have ever seen my cardiologist was when I was actually in the hospital. Saw the sleep MD exactly once, about two years ago.

The irritation became very real yesterday. I asked the NP at cardiologist's office what ejection fraction was. "I see that it's a percentage but what is it a fraction OF?" She hemmed and hawed and stumbled over a non-explanation, 'Dr. Whoisit calculated it from these numbers on the echocardiogram'.

NP, supposedly a professional, years of experience in a cardiologist's office, couldn't explain what ejection fraction was. Perhaps if I'd thought about it more I might have realized that the ventricle can't eject all the blood in it, so ejection fraction is the amount of blood ejected during a beat, divided by the volume of the left ventricle.

I guess I got used to my previous PriCare MD, who ran an office with over a dozen doctors up until about six years ago. Make an appointment, see him the next day or even the same day. Saw him. Every single time, unless I told the receptionist that I just needed to see the nurse. (He retired to other pursuits. :( 😭)

Rant over.
I hear you.
I have a single kidney and since I am also in stage 4 kidney failure (stable) keep a close watch over it.
My previous primary care MD would know when it was time for my semi annual check up. She would give me a call and tell me she had scheduled an appointment for such and such.
She retired quite a few years ago and I went with no replacement for a number of years. Finally getting a new GP he assigned the kidney monitoring over to Nephrology.
Since that time I have quarterly chats with the doc. Video chats. It's been around 6 years now. I have never met the Dr.
Getting in to see my PCP. Not a chance, so I just tell the person doing the scheduling to get me in to see who ever is available. The result of that is I see lot of PAs and NPs.

Touch screens in cars. In my older car, I can operate the sound system almost entirely by feel, occasionally just needing to glance down. On touch screens, I have to take my eyes off the road and guide my finger in and hope I touch it hard enough that it reads. Whoever thought touch screens in a car was a good idea was a moron, and other manufacturers are also morons for joining in on that trend.

Also, I want CD players in cars back. I don't want to fiddle with my smartphone to get the music I want while driving.

Touch screens in cars. In my older car, I can operate the sound system almost entirely by feel, occasionally just needing to glance down. On touch screens, I have to take my eyes off the road and guide my finger in and hope I touch it hard enough that it reads. Whoever thought touch screens in a car was a good idea was a moron, and other manufacturers are also morons for joining in on that trend.

Also, I want CD players in cars back. I don't want to fiddle with my smartphone to get the music I want while driving.
I'm not 100% against them for -some- spots in cars. But they're definitely massively overused. The fundamental controls desperately need a tactile interface.

agree 100%

Just got a Tesla (gifted), and everything is on that damn touchscreen!! Doubly annoying is the need to have the app on your cell phone to drive the damn thing! (and the associated account, account set up and waiting for them to validate & finalize the account.. all thru e-mail. The service counter (an actual person) cannot do this..)

Creepy is the fact it come with some games you can play while waiting for a charge. While a neat idea, one of the games is a driving game, and you use the actual steering wheel & brake pedal to play the game. So, the steering wheel isn't mechanically connected to the front wheels..

A friend has a newish car, with a touch screen, and he noted that it takes a bit of getting used to. But what annoyed him, wash the fact that some options / functions / features could only work when the car was in motion. So you have to be driving in order to figure it out!! There is no 'demo drive' mode, where you could play with these in the safety of your own driveway..

agree 100%

Just got a Tesla (gifted), and everything is on that damn touchscreen!! Doubly annoying is the need to have the app on your cell phone to drive the damn thing! (and the associated account, account set up and waiting for them to validate & finalize the account.. all thru e-mail. The service counter (an actual person) cannot do this..)
It would be really bad if there was a slider on the screen for the "throttle".

One of my coworkers had a Tesla. He went to the local Apple store to trade phones and then couldn't get into his car. Luckily his wife was with him and had her key, whatever gizmo they use as a key, in her purse.

unannounced software updates
the ones that reset things, and change the look & feel of the software [Revise the "User Experience"]

Office software that now insists you buy add-ons.. (cough cough M$ Office suite cough cough..) and the IT dept. is unable (unaware?!) to turn it off..

Our M$ Office just got updated..

People trying to be helpful, but failing miserably.
20240508_144110.jpg
I am mounting an aircon split system. Lucky I didn't trust their inbuilt level.

There is also embossed text saying "120mm from edge to hole center". The bracket is common between two different models and the statement is only true for one of them. Not mine.

Back