On board camera and video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for on board camera's and video and the quality of the pictures. This would not be for high powered rockets so still would need small lightweight camera's. I am looking for more then just outside and downward pointed video, like in the nose cone for seperation and maybe attached to the tube looking outward,etc, Also any suggestions on photography of the launch from the ground. I have used a GoPro under the pad shooting vertical getting the engine flame and or smoke during liftoff but asking others for any suggestions or shots they got that are different. Thanks in advance for any camera info.
Sterk03

The main issue I find with onboard cams is the frame rate. The higher the speed, the higher the frame rate needed for smooth video. The AC cam only shoots in 30fps. The RunCam 2 runs 60fps but weighs 50g so needs a hefty rocket. Generally spycams don't need high frame rates. ITMT, Estes is about to release their standalone AC cam with holder.

The main issue I find with onboard cams is the frame rate. The higher the speed, the higher the frame rate needed for smooth video. The AC cam only shoots in 30fps. The RunCam 2 runs 60fps but weighs 50g so needs a hefty rocket. Generally spycams don't need high frame rates. ITMT, Estes is about to release their standalone AC cam with holder.
Ron, Estes had it listed on their website earlier today as in stock, but they out of stock already ☹️

I've recently purchased 2 Mobius Maxi 4K cameras from Webbex in UK. The camera provides full, native 4K resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 30fps. For high frame rate applications, it can also do native 1080p HD (2160x1080) at up to 120 frames per second. The Maxi 4k weighs in at 52 grams.

For a sample of how it performs as a rocket cam, have a look here on YouTube. I uploaded the clip as 4k, but between YouTube's bandwidth and my provider (Xfinity) it appears incapable of streaming it at that resolution. Try it at1440.

I've recently purchased 2 Mobius Maxi 4K cameras from Webbex in UK. The camera provides full, native 4K resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 30fps. For high frame rate applications, it can also do native 1080p HD (2160x1080) at up to 120 frames per second. The Maxi 4k weighs in at 52 grams.

For a sample of how it performs as a rocket cam, have a look here on YouTube. I uploaded the clip as 4k, but between YouTube's bandwidth and my provider (Xfinity) it appears incapable of streaming it at that resolution. Try it at1440.

Ausgezeichnet, however the OP specified non-HPR. I'm glad you were able to find it in the corn.

Back