Nomex blanket in washing machine??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of really dirty nomex blankets and was wondering if it’s OK to just put them in the washing machine by themselves? I don’t see why not.

I would not put them in the dryer just the washing machine.

If that’s a no no, how else do you suggest cleaning them?

It is probably not nesesary, but they do get rather grungy after a few uses.

I do this at the end of every flying season, using the delicates setting to minimize wear and tear on the nomex, then hang inmmy garage to dry. No problems. I do the same for recovery harnesses, just put them in one of those small mesh bags designed for delicate laundry items to keep the harnesses from getting tangled.

After every launch I just soak my Nomex blankets and shock cords in a bucket of water over night. I then ring out and let drip dry. As I hand remove the excess water I'm checking the integrity of them.

I throw everything in the washing machine - nomex, nylon, rocket socks - everything except my chutes (I hand wash those in the tub). I just use regular laundry detergent (no fabric softener) and a couple extra rinses. Hang dry everything. Been doing this for decades and have not seen any degradation of my nomex or shock cords. If it does degrade the kevlar at all, the convenience of washing everything in the machine, for me, substantially outweighs any slight decrease in the life of the blanket.

After every launch I just soak my Nomex blankets and shock cords in a bucket of water over night. I then ring out and let drip dry. As I hand remove the excess water I'm checking the integrity of them.
I hand wash in a pail also, but not every launch. I use laundry detergent in warm water and then rinse in a bucket of fresh water. Hang to dry. For shock cords, I hang and then rub the length of them with a wet cloth.

Here, overnight soak in pail of water, mild agitation, drip dry. I have a superstition that getting the BP salts off helps keep the fabric nice. Sometimes I wipe down the inside of the rocket with a moist rag.

I do the following:
1. Wait till wifey goes to work the day after a launch.
2. Throw nomex and kevlar harnesses in wash, gentle cycle, no fabric softener
3. Make sure all items removed from washing machine before wifey gets home.
4. Air dry

Steps 1 and 3 are the most important. I've got 20+ flights on some sets, they look like new, and I'm still happily married.

Last edited:
I'm an electrician and sometimes need to wear an arc flash suit. In training we are told to machine wash but not to use fabric softener because it lives a flammable residue

Back