My Mercury Redstone build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTG

Reaction score
Okay, I had an Estes Mercury Redstone rocket kit that has been hanging around about 10-12 years now. I kept it in the closet with some other model rockets but for some reason this one didn't store well. When I took it out of the bag, the body tube was a bit flattened, especially down where the fin cutouts were. I set that aside for later and started building the capsule and the tower. I also ordered a E engine kit from Apogee and put that together, and I am using kevlar cord for recovery instead of the el cheapo stretchy cord that came with the rocket.

I now have decided that the body tube is not useable, it won't conform back to it's original shape, and on the fin side, it's just too dinged up to use it. So, I stopped by a hobby shop today hoping to find a new tube. No dice, the BT is 2 inches but he didn't have one, and couldn't find one, even on his Estes ordering site. Maybe some other manufacturer would have had it, I really don't know, but I just went ahead and bought a new Redstone kit that they had. It was the same price there that I saw it at Hobby Lobby for, and I guess I now have some spare replacement parts if I ever need them.

Maybe I should have said before, that I've built one of these before. It was quite a while back, and I didn't even bother covering the body tube spirals and painting it, I just attached the fins since the BT was white. On the old kit, it had a plastic engine mount, 18mm, which always seemed puny to me, which explains why I opted for the higher powered engine mount. But, the differences between the old kit and the new one I bought today are striking. First, the BT is one piece now. Second, the engine mount is a real one, not the plastic one that added more weight to the end product. And, the fins are balsa, not plastic, and don't have fin slots to go into. So, I'll be doing some sanding, and likely paper covering the fins as well.

Questions. First, what do you use to cover the body tube spirals before sanding and painting it? Second, although the rocket doesn't come with nose cone clay, how much clay should I put into the capsule body, since I'm upgrading to a D/E engine mount? Lastly, will using an E engine in this rocket be too much for it, especially since there are no fin slots? I'm seriously considering using my old Redstone capsule, which had most of the tower torn off of it from a previous launch. I think the tower is just too delicate to survive the torque involved in the more powerful engines, and subsequent parachute landings. I intend to use the capsule with the tower as display, but build it out where I could launch it if I decided to.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mine was converted to a 24mm motor mount and it should be fine for D-F if the fins are TTW ( tabbed through the wall to motor mount). The airframe iirc is available from Balsa Maching service and is T204-34 the same as ST-20 make measurements before ordering.

Your fins will be fine - I have plenty of 24mm powered rockets with surface mounted balsa fins. The tower is typically damaged by landing - not flight, even with an F motor. The quick and dirty way to figure out how much nose weight to add is to weigh both sets of motor mount components, then figure the difference in the motor weight - weigh the motors yourself or use Estes’ weight chart - add the total increase in mount/motor weight to your nose weight. Then do a swing test to confirm the change. If you have Rocksim or a copy of Open Rocket you can sim the design and check stability. The Estes MR is fairly stable as is - the oversized fins and heavy plastic capsule probably help a lot.

eRockets.biz / Semroc sells a body tube that will work to replace the damaged one.

Back