Mega Mosquito vs Fat Boy Fin slots in body tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Upton

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does any one here know if the Slots in the body tube of the Mega Mosquito are the same as the Slots in the BT80 Fat Boy ?

Would Fat Boy fins if you had them made fit in the Mega Mosquito Body tube slots with no gaps?

Asking for a Friend*

*no really I am asking ;)

It will take me some digging to actually get to kits and compare. But by comparing built models I do know that the Mega Mosquito has a one inch longer body tube. But if you're using a Mega Mosquito as a parts donor to clone a Fat Boy, that's not a big problem.

Looking at the two built models, they could be the same.

If no one else can help, I can dig into the kit stash (towers of Hefty storage boxes) and get a clear answer but not right away.

I can dig into the kit stash (towers of Hefty storage boxes)

Last week, I reorganized my kit stash so instead of being piled horizontally like logs, they are all on end. No tube is "on the bottom" with the weight of anything else on top of it. They are all supporting only their own weight, and in the strong direction.

Does any one here know if the Slots in the body tube of the Mega Mosquito are the same as the Slots in the BT80 Fat Boy ?

Would Fat Boy fins if you had them made fit in the Mega Mosquito Body tube slots with no gaps?

Asking for a Friend*

*no really I am asking ;)

Seems like the key dimension is width. If you had the fins made, you should be able to have the tabs made to fit the longer MM slots. Or just slide in a chunk of coupler at whatever or both ends need the end of the slot relocated.

This says FB fins are 3/32 TH: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-fatboy-fin-thickness-and-body-tube.22568/

This says MM fins are 3/32 TH: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2014/06/mega-mosquito-build-part-3-engine-mount.html

Last edited:
I turned a mega mosquito tube into a Fatboy. Now I have fins for a mega mosquito left over. I think I had to adjust the slot length. The rocket is long gone do I cannot measure it.

Back