Mach 1 and 10,000 ft on Estes Black Powder Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, Openrocket thinks a slightly tweaked Estes Scout will break Mach 1 with a Quest D20W, which is supposed to have 14 N-s. You'll just never find it again. 2,500 feet is a long way up for something so small.

I made a small min dim rocket once that open rocket said would go 3200 feet and 50 mph shy of Mach 1. Gave everyone whiplash and disappeared, never to be seen again.

Clip the fins on an MD Alpha and slap an F44 in it, it'll go supersonic. Getting it back has to be part of the game for it to matter, IMO.
Best use a small streamer for the maximum permitted descent rate. With the shorter fins, it ought to be sturdy enough to take it. At least if it's like the old Estes Alpha that I know of. If they are stiff and strong enough, you don't even have to clip the fins to go supersonic. Or, at least, that's what Openrocket thinks.
What IF you used a piston launcher? Would it give it that extra boost to go Mach 1 and 10k feet?
Every little bit helps, I think, but which particular rocket are you talking about?

If we can believe Openrocket, you can go Mach 1.08 with 34 N-s. That is, with a Quest E35W-11 in a minimal rocket. Nowhere near 10,000 feet, though, nor is it black powder.

Your better off using RASAero if getting into the transonic range, Chuck Rogers wrote it.

https://rasaero.com/home.htm

1719966361804.png

Last edited:
Clip the fins on an MD Alpha and slap an F44 in it, it'll go supersonic. Getting it back has to be part of the game for it to matter, IMO.

If you check the Estes old technical reports, they designed and tested an optimum Alpha, the fins were not swept but sorta like a Nike Profile, or maybe I am thinking wrong and they are like Astron Sprint fins; which would not be good for Mach. Nike Profiles would be.

If you check the Estes old technical reports, they designed and tested an optimum Alpha, the fins were not swept but sorta like a Nike Profile, or maybe I am thinking wrong and they are like Astron Sprint fins; which would not be good for Mach. Nike Profiles would be.
Did they increase the motor mount size? If not, it wouldn't go anywhere near supersonic on an Estes black powder motor. So a nice, smooth airfoil would be fine. Maybe even a laminar airfoil if the builder was willing to take the time and maintain the shape. They have MUCH lower drag, as long as you don't hit any insects.

Back