LOVE for the Estes Mars Long Ship....with a twist

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all-

It is always fun to post after a build. I wanted to give a shout out to Estes for another GREAT KIT! I will tell you, if you are on the fence with this kit....GET IT! It actually is a really good build and it is a cool looking and very interesting design. I found it a very enjoyable build.

There was just one little thing.....you know those situations when you get something stuck in your head and it is forever cast? .....well, I just got to say....for me... the original nose cone for this kit IS very creative AND very 70's 2001 space odyssey...which is cool.... I get it.

But what I saw in my brain was a lamp stand missing its lamp shade. The front decal also looked like a mustache ...I could not get it out of my head. SO, I improvised and the result is, IMO much better. HEY its whatever you want it to be right?

I STILL love this kit and have purchased another one (with the sci-fi cone set). It is also cool that many of the cone decals made it to the new cone! There are also some random decals from the Estes decal sheets one can purchase. Photos below.

Last edited:
I bet this things will do very nicely on an E12 or F12. I am looking forward to launching this beauty.

GREAT KIT ESTES!!!! (I am sorry I did not like the original cone though.... :) )

Nice work. You beat me to it. I was kicking around ideas as I don't care for the cue ball nose cone either and I have one of these cones in my SciFi nose cone pack. I wasn't sure I was going to use it but seeing yours has made up my mind.

I really like the look!

I too wanted to get the model except for that original nose cone. It looks like a marital aid...

I have flown mine several times on an E12...great flights! Just make sure your parachute is perfect...if not, the landing of a Mars Mars is pretty ugly from the height you get with an E12...yes, I know! Ordered another to build...

What’s wrong with the kit nose cone? “Life? Don’t talk to me about life, you think you’ve got problems, I have the brain the size of a planet and they ask me to wait in the car park. I won’t enjoy it.”

Marvin-Paranoid-Android-Hitchiker-Guide.jpg

Excellent mod! Where is that nose cone from, beside the sci-fi pack it went to another rocket right? I just can't place it.

It was also the cone for the Dark Silver kit. Another one of my favorites!

Andrew

Thank you all for the kind comments. I truly hope this inspires/encourages others to get this kit. It really is a fun build and is a cool design. I do feel bad that I do not like the original nose cone. I am sure others do, that is cool. But I just could not take it.....but still loved the rocket. Anyway....

Estes is still the best in my book. Great kit.
Andrew

Back