LOC Precision 7.5" Phoenix Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin.mcgee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
Quick question. I was unpacking the kit for my 7.5" Phoenix (Dual deploy and RNWS) and there is a bulkhead already up in the nosecone. Is this a pre-install or did it get shoved up there for shipping? I don't want to force it out if it is supposed to be there.

IMG_0337.jpg

Doesn't look glued.

Give it a tug see if it comes out. I would bet it was just stuffed in there for shipping. These are kits so not usually much glued in advance.

Mike

Nope, that is where THAT bulkhead belongs. It is glued in place there. It is difficult to get it in and out. If you flop it sideways and then squeeze the NC, it will slide in and out. Rough up NC and then glue.

It's been a couple years since I've built mine. Assuming it hasn't changed, that is where that bulkhead goes, but you will need to take it out in order to put the T-Nuts in place.

Speaking of RNWS, I designed a reusable 3D printed cartridge for the nose weight system. You can change the weight in it very easily. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get it posted on printables.

It looks like it was pre-installed to be used to hold electronics in the nose cone. Look up John Coker's video where he intentionally installs a ring near the lip inside as nose cone.

This bulkhead is part of LOC's removable nose weight system. That bulkhead gets glued in place where it is, then another bulkhead is screwed onto this one. Second bulkhead has the shock cord anchor and a smaller BT that is used to hold the adjustable weight tubes.

I just picked up this kit at LDRS 42 from Chris' Rocket Supplies. I had the same thought going through my head about an hour ago as I went through an unboxing to take inventory and see if there were any missing pieces. Lots of nested parts. I had two questions.

1) Is there a parts list to verify any missing pieces? I could not seem to find one.
2) The main body tube is composed of 3 parts. (I don't totally get this as the two shorter pieces end to end are shorter than the tube with the slots for the fins, so breaking it up for shipping is not the answer) Of the really short and medium body tube sections, does it matter which one the nose cone sits in?

I just picked up this kit at LDRS 42 from Chris' Rocket Supplies. I had the same thought going through my head about an hour ago as I went through an unboxing to take inventory and see if there were any missing pieces. Lots of nested parts. I had two questions.

1) Is there a parts list to verify any missing pieces? I could not seem to find one.
2) The main body tube is composed of 3 parts. (I don't totally get this as the two shorter pieces end to end are shorter than the tube with the slots for the fins, so breaking it up for shipping is not the answer) Of the really short and medium body tube sections, does it matter which one the nose cone sits in?
I struggled with this and used the wrong section and my rocket wound up too long to be scale. The payload section and avionics bay do not go together like 90% of other kits I have built. I just kept dry-fitting the pieces together and looking at every picture I could find. I apologize that I can’t offer better advice.

I struggled with this and used the wrong section and my rocket wound up too long to be scale. The payload section and avionics bay do not go together like 90% of other kits I have built. I just kept dry-fitting the pieces together and looking at every picture I could find. I apologize that I can’t offer better advice.
Having built a 4" dd Phoenix, a stretched one is actually a good idea since that lessens the amount of nose weight needed and makes it more stable. With all that fin area going up along the body, the Cp is very far forward.

The key thing is to turn the bulkhead 90 degrees to remove/install it. slight pressure on the nosecone will deflect it into an oval, and the bulkhead can be inserted/removed freely. I felt like a real dummy when I finally figured it out.

Actually I believe there were RNWS instructions either included (maybe some kits... was in my 7.5 V2) or available at their site (further down):

https://locprecision.com/products/rnws

Link to instructions:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0568/7489/3503/files/RNWS-2021.pdf?v=1712625289
Yes, the instructions for the Removable Nosecone Weight System are included, but there are no instructions for the rocket. There are instructions for the newly reconfigured ebay. I read those over several times before they sunk in.

Yes, the instructions for the Removable Nosecone Weight System are included, but there are no instructions for the rocket. There are instructions for the newly reconfigured ebay. I read those over several times before they sunk in.
The 7.5" av bays are interesting...Here's my Skinwalker build thread, which has some pics on how I set mine up. Let me know if you have any questions:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/my-level-three-build.180871/#post-2459456

I haven't checked my 7.5 Phoenix kit, but I know that the new Loc 7.5 bays were designed for short rockets like the V2 so that you can build it with one end recessed to allow more chute space (put stiffy outside of the bulkhead, which is recessed). You can also build it full length in the traditional way by sticking both stiffies inside and both bulkheads outside.

I can confirm this. There are definitely instruction for the RNWS. It was kind of funny because every component of the RNWS was in the nose cone! Had a hard time getting some components out...Opted to leave the bulkhead loose in place until I actually get to the built stage and not just making sure I have everything. Currently I seem to be short a drogue chute but I dont have an inventory list to compare to.

I also emailed LOC the other night to see if I could get a parts list / packing list / BOM for the kit, but I have yet to hear back from them.

Last edited:
I was looking for a thread like this just the other night and could not find it. Your search skill key words are better than mine.
My google -fu is superior!
Martial Arts Reaction GIF by Arrow Video

Back