Level 3 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final set of filets completed and the booster section is completed other than fitting the Avbay.
Are you using index pins for av-bay to tube and nosecone to tube alignments? Those pins make sure everything is aligned the same every time so you will know where the rail is so you don't put your GPS antenna in the wrong direction and your shear pin holes line up perfectly every time.

Are you using index pins for av-bay to tube and nosecone to tube alignments? Those pins make sure everything is aligned the same every time so you will know where the rail is so you don't put your GPS antenna in the wrong direction and your shear pin holes line up perfectly every time.
Another way to do it is to have the 1 of the shear pin holes offset slightly so they'll all only go in when alignment is correct.

In any case, if one is worried about GPS antenna position relative to the rail, some method of positive control should be built in, the "dummy proof-ist" method that the builder thinks that they can't possibly screw up, the better.

I haven't made a decision on that part yet as I am still working on truing the tube ends and I have been working on the AvBay design. I do like the simplicity of an alignment pin; I see this as a error reduction step to reduce rocketeer potential error.

So far 1 failed print due to a nozzle clog, 1 completed print but not what I really wanted, and 1 on the printer that I think will be the winner. More to come once the print completes.

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpeg
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3826.jpeg
    IMG_3826.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Another way to do it is to have the 1 of the shear pin holes offset slightly so they'll all only go in when alignment is correct.

In any case, if one is worried about GPS antenna position relative to the rail, some method of positive control should be built in, the "dummy proof-ist" method that the builder thinks that they can't possibly screw up, the better.
The GPS tracker will be a Feather Weight unit and an Apple Air Tag.

I usually put a line on the outside of the av bay coupler to line up with a line on the inside of the body tube. Put those marks together, and you're in the right spot.

Still trying to get darn tubes as flush as I can. I also made some AvBay progress today. The switches have to be epoxied in and the tape is holding the first switch in place while the epoxy cures. I am trying to do just a little bit each day. I’ll pick up the pace once I have a motor on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3878.jpeg
    IMG_3878.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
When you say “getting the tubes as flush as you can” what do you mean? Square?

Wouldn’t spend a ton of time squaring tube ends, TBH I've never spent much time on it, especially if you’re not going to spend much time over Mach. The couplers will keep the airframe straight and true.

When you say “getting the tubes as flush as you can” what do you mean? Square?

Wouldn’t spend a ton of time squaring tube ends, TBH I've never spent much time on it, especially if you’re not going to spend much time over Mach. The couplers will keep the airframe straight and true.
Yes, I did mean square and I'm pretty sure you are correct about not flying supersonic very long just on weight and the field I fly at. I'm close and just trying to make it pretty.

Now I have hit a hard stop in work for this rocket because I need some hardware. Just need the basics like threaded rod, nuts, wing nuts, etc. I think Ace Hardware will be on the agenda this week. I did reverse the XT-30 connectors so they can only be connected oneway. Thus one more elimination of human error.

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back