Is it a collection...or is it clutter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my town, there's a used tool store. The guy spends his mornings going and buying up old tool collections, and in the afternoon, he sells the stuff to other people. A LOT of my tools come from there, and I imagine, after I croak, a lot of them will go back there. If I was more organized, I'd get all the tools in one place and get rid of some of the massively redundant ones.

I just tossed my dad's old recliner, which I'd been trying to give away for weeks. It was never very comfortable for me, anyway. Not to worry, though, as it's place and more are likely to be taken up by my mother in law's old piano. I do hope my wife ends up playing it a bunch. She had to be ruthless after her dad died, though she really didn't want to be doing anything at all.

I'm in a couple of hobby clubs which will send people to someone's widow's house to help with getting the stuff to people who can use it. We had an auction for one guy. He died while snorkeling in the Galapagos, which seems like a good way to go, though I thought he'd be with us for 10 or 20 more years. I sold a bunch of stuff for a guy who was moving to Florida, keeping half the dough for myself. It was quite sad what was going into his dumpster. I couldn't bear to see a 12 foot RC glider, mostly built, go into the trash. Particularly since I'd met and talked with its builder. Now I have yet another white elephant.

So far, my rocket stuff takes up very little space, mostly because I can't see buying commercial motors and blowing lots of dough every time I fly. Which isn't often, just yet.

I should make up a list of places that might want some of my stuff.

When we were looking for a house, we asked, but the realtor didn't have any underground mad scientist's lairs that had nice little cottages on top. I did see a listing, once, for a house that was built at the front of a mine that bored horizontally into a cliff. Apparently, the back space had been used as a roller rink and a concert hall at various times, and MC-5 had even played there. I bet it made a dandy tornado shelter or a place to hang out in hot weather. Unfortunately, it was a LONG way from here, I wasn't looking at the time, and I probably couldn't have afforded it. But something like that would have made things a lot easier.

I don't consider myself anywhere close to a hoarder but I do collect a lot of stuff. I have rocket stuff, photography stuff, computer stuff, knife collection, camping gear, tools, books. There is a lot of stuff that could be tossed but a few valuable items in there here and there. At some point I hope to be able to properly divest myself of some of this stuff, but as long as I'm able to use it I will keep using it, and buying more.

There are extremes. I occasionally see a garage door open in my neighborhood where there is nothing in there but a car and maybe a broom. I think there is something wrong with those people. I've also seen garages where there is no car in there and it would be difficult for a person to walk through. I'm a long way from that but some people would say there is something wrong with those people too. It can be the same way with desks/cubicles at work. Some people keep them spotless, other people have books and papers piled high.

Every person has to pick their comfort point, or maybe comfort range. If you have so much stuff that it depresses you, then get rid of some of it. If it makes you happy to buy more then why not keep doing that as long as you can still see the floor in spots and your family isn't overly concerned.

Back