Hi, All

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcuhaj

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm happy to have found the forum and become a member. A great group here with MUCH needed info. Like many of you, I started flying around 1970 but have been out of it for MANY years. I just got back into building/flying about 2 years ago when I finally retired. I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast, I'm the author of 18 books including 2 non-fiction history titles - Space Oddities and Everyone's Gone to the Moon - and fly with a great group, the Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society (SEARS) in Samson, AL. They fly low to high-power (I'm sticking with low to mid for now.) A few photos are attached including one of my current fleet (a Minotaur is on the building bench right now), me, and my favorite build - a full size SLS. Kidding. Thanks for having me!

Attachments

• 20240504_095610.jpg
    20240504_095610.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3836.JPG
    IMG_3836.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Welcome. Looks like you're having a bunch of fun. But I have to ask. Did they really leave the SLS outside so long it got rusty? It sure looks that way. ;-)

Welcome to the Forum. Did you see the SLS at the Cape?
Thank you. Yeah, they had a special tour about six months before the Artemis 1 launch that took us about 600 yards or so away from it on the pad. Hope they do it again for Artemis II. It's really impressive. I had tickets for the launch. It was scrubbed 3 times. The 4th time attempt on the trip there someone got sick (that would be me) and we couldn't make it. Of course, that's when it launched. :(

Welcome. Looks like you're having a bunch of fun. But I have to ask. Did they really leave the SLS outside so long it got rusty? It sure looks that way. ;-)
Thank you. I can't remember how many times they kept rolling it back to the VAB and back out to the pad. A couple times. But yeah, that foam they put on it needs a better color than rust color.

Thank you. I can't remember how many times they kept rolling it back to the VAB and back out to the pad. A couple times. But yeah, that foam they put on it needs a better color than rust color.
I wonder if that color means they need thicker foam than they otherwise would to allow for launching on sunny days, when the surface probably gets a lot hotter than if it was white.

Back