Great deal at Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I have three Intercepter Es and none built. I wouldn't mind another stormcaster or two. I have one built and one spare. Best rocket for the money. They rip on reloads. The Gaurdian is another great kit for the dollar with coupon.

Also, before you begin, search the forum for the "gotchas". I've never built one so I'm unsure. I think there is one about lug placement and there was one about where NOT to form a fillet. I think those two are decal related.

And now you have it too

That's the first symptom. You're on your way to somewhere else, and you just happen to be going near a HobLob

Then, it just happens to be a coupon week

And you just happen to have enough spare $$$$ in your pocket to where you begin to rationalize spending $15-20 on something that you really don't need, or at least had no clue that you needed until you saw it hanging on the rack

Before you know it, you have a eight Baby Bertha kits still in bags (not counting the built ones), ten Pencils, a dozen StormCasters....and it only gets worse. More than I have any reasonable chance of building in the next five years if I didn't buy another kit ever. Hidden in boxes in the back of the garage, or in the storage locker, to keep them out of sight of Her.

You have my deepest sympathies and understanding.

I know what you mean - 200+ motors and counting! :D

If nothing else, it keeps many of my contest motor needs filled (not all - I wish they carried B6-6 and 1/4A3-3 packs).

Just remember that those eight Baby Berthas and Goonies waiting to happen - they just need decals! And those pencils - you can either add a canopy to it and turn it into a PNC-50SP (The old Soaring Eagle flexwing used it) or you can use it to make a Black Brant III clone (gotta make the nozzle out of cardstock, but that's easy enough!) And those Stormcasters are just stretched Super Alphas waiting to happen! ;)

The real deal is the $13 SR-71 and 40% coupon. I thought I grabbed the last one two weeks ago but low and behold they had another hanging on the peg yesterday so had to grab that as well. They are also listed online for the same price. With a coupon it should get it shipped for about $13-14. Great deal.

Thanks for the tip, I picked up an SR-71 last weekend. I justify it because of the various construction techniques to practice (paper shrouds, etc.) Plus they look sharp!

My regret is not picking up a Canadian Arrow last year for $7. I thought then that I had enough unbuilt kits!! arrrgh!!

Greg

My local Hobby-Lobby always has a few deals like that. I normally buy a few and sell them to club members (at a break-even price). Also there is 40% off coupon week! I buy most of my motors then, so does my wife :D

Was in one of the local stores a couple weeks ago and scored a "Screaming Eagle" on clearance for $3.99.

What is ridiculous about this store is that there were still 3 of these kits on the regular rack marked at $19.

All parts are in the bag, no broken balsa or crushed tubes.

:confused2:

No, I have the ability to make the decals, just haven't gotten around to it.

kj

There's still 3 Interceptor-Es at the Hobby Lobby in Pearland, TX at SH 288 and FM 518 (Broadway). They're $19.99 in the clearance section.

Hey, where do I get these 40% off coupon at? I keep hearing about these, I would love to score on of these!!!:cool:

You can print them off Hobby Lobby .com anytime you want them... just look for "weekly coupon" or something to that effect. It's not ALWAYS 40%... sometimes it's 30% and sometimes it's for only flower arranging crap and other fluff stuff of no use to rocketeers...

BUT, when it's a "general discount" coupon (usually 30-40%) off ANYTHING, you can get ANYTHING you need, well, ONE item, at the coupon discount rate, including tools, motors, kits, balsa, paint, glue, etc... lotsa good stuff at HL...

If you take the wife or friend along with you, print them off a coupon and they can get you a second item at the same discount. One time when I was low on motors, I printed off a stack of them and took the wife and my brother and we hit about 4 HL stores in Houston, and I handed them a $20 and a coupon and a pack of motors in the motor aisle of the store, and collected the change and motors when we got to the truck... stocked up quick...

Only thing about the coupons is, they CAN'T be used for an additional markdown on clearance items... UNLESS you get lucky and find a particularly dimwitted, bored, or newb cashier that doesn't know any better or doesn't care... I've had it happen a time or two and got some kits for CRAZY cheap... so much so that I didn't mind paying full price for the pack of motors I got as well... (overpaying in HL's case-- motors are cheaper online by a mile, but with the coupon at HL they're about the same price, and you're not paying shipping/hazmat, so you're money ahead).

Be sure to check BOTH clearance areas at HL-- usually they are on the OUTSIDE WALLS of the store, on EITHER SIDE, or on ONE side and the VERY BACK sales floor wall in front of the offices/restrooms/stockroom. I've found rockets in ONE OR BOTH areas, sorta willy-nilly. Scored a NICE Canadian Arrow for cheap and a few other kits-- some are kicked around pretty hard, but usually you can find something worthwhile that's not damaged if you look hard enough...

Good luck and happy hunting! OL JR :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back