General questions about public launches, equipment provided/needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin M Weber

Reaction score
I want to do a family rocket fly around christmas at the SARA(south tucson az) location. What equipment is provided? Do I need my own stand, igniter and engines? What about rocket tracking, do you wait unit others are done firing rockets before attempting to recover rockets?

I want to do a family rocket fly around christmas at the SARA(south tucson az) location. What equipment is provided? Do I need my own stand, igniter and engines? What about rocket tracking, do you wait unit others are done firing rockets before attempting to recover rockets?

start here: https://www.sararocketry.org/

go to Launch Info / Range Procedures

The answer to your questions and more are there

In general at a club launch (not specific to SARA or any other club) the launch equipment is provided; usually they have low power pads with rods in the common sizes. They will usually also provide the launch controller, the electrical power to ignite the igniter. You will be expected to provide your own rocket, motor, wadding and igniter; some clubs provide dog barf or wadding, not all. Usually you will fill out a flight card with all the info and hand this over to the RSO. They will advise you what pad to set up on. Don’t walk up to the launch equipment until the pads are ‘cold’. Most low power launches wait to launch the next rocket until after the rocket is on or very close to the ground. Usually at this point you can walk to your rocket and pick it while the next rockets are being launched. Ask the launch director what the protocol is for recovery before starting and they will explain specifics to you. Usually what to do if it lands outside the Normal recovery area there can be site specific regulations about that. The most important thing to remember is if in doubt ask. Rocketeers are very friendly people and experienced club members will help you out.

I read it as that they will have all the launch equipment you need for low, mid power and at least some high power rockets. You need your rockets, motors, igniters and wadding. go to the Contact SARA tab and you will see a lot of ways to contact people. I am sure they will welcome questions from a new person. Have fun!

I want to make sure I understand: you're wanting to fly at a SARA launch, or you're wanting to use that field when SARA's not there?

Back