First club launch tomorrow- any tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentius

Reaction score
Hi, my first club launch is tomorrow for my Jr. L1 cert. (I launch LPR from a local park, because the nearest club is a 2 hour drive away.) Do you guys have any tips or do and dont's for launching at a club? Thanks a lot!

Hi, my first club launch is tomorrow for my Jr. L1 cert. (I launch LPR from a local park, because the nearest club is a 2 hour drive away.) Do you guys have any tips or do and dont's for launching at a club? Thanks a lot!
A launch is a great place to ask questions, and people will be happy to answer and show you anything you need to know. If you need help, ask for it. If you forgot some supply or tool at home, ask for it. Rocketeers are among the happiest folk to help that I've met in any walk of life. Make contacts - especially ones local to you - with whom you can follow up for advice later.

Be sure though not to pester anyone who's concentrating on prep, especially not anyone building a motor.

Good luck with the cert flight (and test if you've not taken it yet), and have fun!

• Bring twice as much water as you think you'll need. Some of those bottle-size packets of drink flavoring. A sandwich or three for lunch (or, if there happens to be a food vendor, money to support the kind vendor).
  • Think about any tools you are likely to need. Pliers, screwdriver, whatever. No need to bring a whole toolbox, though.
  • Sunblock and/or a hat that will cover your neck. I've seen hand towels pinned to a ball cap as cover. Sunburn isn't fun, and it happens on cool, cloudy days too.
  • If I'm going to assemble a motor I bring a little waterless hand cleaner (GoJo) and paper towels.
  • Car has a back hatch? You can work there but it's a little inconvenient. Small folding table is better.
  • Wind will absolutely blow some important paper off the table. Weight it down with something.
  • Most clubs will have a supply of dog barf to use as wadding; you might check with them, if you don't have wadding already.
  • CA for emergency repairs. I bring a bottle of thick and one of those tiny tubes of thin.
  • Masking tape.
That's all that comes to mind right now. Good luck!

Bring whatever paperwork you need for your cert unless you have arranged for the person certifying to bring your paperwork. Bring cert paperwork anyway in case your mentor forgets it.

If you get there early offer to help set up.

If you stay late offer to help tear down.

Respect the property you are flying on. Pick up trash if you see it even if it's not yours. Only drive where you are supposed to drive.

Fly only if you and your rocket are ready. Do not push your luck on a cert attempt. A friend of mine canceled two L3 cert attempts as things were not favorable. His third launch date went fantastic and he certified.

Actually watch your cert attempt. Ask someone else to take photographs and/or video while you keep your eyes on it.

• When you get to a launch, most clubs ask you to follow some very specific rules – especially in respect to the landowner. Only drive where you are supposed to, don’t speed, park where they tell you to, etc. In short, be a good neighbor at the launch.
  • Get there early, leave late and help setup/breakdown. Not only will this buy you big time friendship points with fellow members, it is a great time to learn about the club’s systems, pads, rails, etc. Ask questions and lend a healthy amount of elbow grease.
  • There will be a Range Safety Officer (RSO) designated and a Launch Control Officer (LCO). You will hear the phrase “you need to get your rocket RSO’ed” or something to that effect. That means that, before you can launch anything, the RSO needs to conduct a safety check on every rocket before it can go out to a pad for launch. Normally, the RSO will check the weight of the rocket, the center of gravity, your retention method, and may ask questions about thrust-to-weight ratios, recovery mechanisms, electronics, etc. Know your rocket and be prepared to talk about it.
  • The LCO is the person that presses the launch button. They have final say (quite literally) on whether the launch happens.
  • You will need to fill out a Range Safety Card for your rocket every time you fly it and this is what the RSO normally will sign off on once they conduct the safety inspection. Many clubs have copies of their card online so you can pre-fill out most of the information and print them out before you arrive.
  • The club will have a launch system. Most often, this will be some form of remote controlled 12 V system that is connected to a panel the LCO uses to check continuity and, ultimately, launch your rocket. When you get your rocket safely on the rail, you can insert the igniter and hook up the wiring from the club’s launch system. The 12 V system at most clubs is more than sufficient for any normal igniter you may have. If you get to the point where you are flying complex cluster arrangements, you may think about bringing additional equipment, but, for your first HPR flights, let’s assume you are flying single motor configurations with standard igniters.
  • The club will have a specific altitude waiver for flights. You must absolutely respect the waiver. If you fly a rocket above the waiver, not only do you risk getting banned, but the club could get in trouble with the FAA. Don’t be “that person”. Find out what the club’s waiver is before you get there and choose your rockets and motors appropriately.
  • Typically, the club will have multiple “cells” of launch pads and have some lettering/numbering sequence to identify each pad. Usually the low power rods are in cell A, the mid-power and smaller high power rails are in cell B, and so on until they reach the furthest “away” cell that will hold the largest rockets the club is able to accommodate. For a small club with a relatively low altitude waiver, there may only be a low power cell and a high power cell. For bigger clubs with a higher waiver (or for big events), there can be cells going out to a third of a mile away or more (an H motor launch pad needs to be a minimum of 100 feet away from the safety line while a “complex” O motor launch must be a minimum of 2000 feet away). In a large club launch, there may be someone designated to assign you a pad, but at a small club it is often more of a free-for-all. Make sure to ask questions if you aren’t sure where to launch from or how to use the equipment.
  • The club will take care of providing fire suppression equipment.
  • Most clubs have some equipment to help you recover your rocket if it lands in a tree, ditch, on a building, etc. Ask for help before you try to retrieve a rocket from a dangerous spot. Sometimes, a simple long pole with a hook means the difference between a mundane rocket retrieval and an unexpected swim.
  • If your rocket lands outside the boundaries of the field, make sure to get permission from the owner of the land where it landed before attempting to recover.
  • A lot of clubs have banned the use of non-biodegradable wadding (such as Estes sheets). Dog barf (flameproof cellulose) is universally accepted since it is usually biodegradable and won’t harm farm crops or equipment.
  • Igniters for high power motors MUST be installed at the pad. Don’t show up to the RSO table with an igniter in your rocket motor. Pro tip – tape your igniter to the outside of the rocket with a good length of masking tape. That way you know you have your igniter, the RSO can see it is not installed and, when you get to the pad, you have some tape on hand to secure the igniter in place. If you have any questions about whether you can install an igniter in your motor before you bring it to the pad, make sure you ask the RSO.
  • You will be responsible for bringing your rocket, motors, igniters, and any materials, equipment or tools you need to prep your rocket for flight. Also consider things like a table, chairs, some kind of shelter from the sun/weather (fold up pavilions are very popular) and food/drinks to get you through the day.
  • Some clubs may have vendors onsite, but you shouldn’t count on it (unless you have coordinated with the vendor prior to getting to the launch).
  • Have fun and go back to as many launches as you can!

Most clubs have some sort of sign in table where you pay range fees and/or get club membership checked. Tell them that you’re new, and ask what you should know.

If there is a row of portapotties, the ones in the middle of the row tend to be less awful than the ones at the end.

Bring a pop up tent/canopy if you have one. Shade is really nice.

Point at your rocket as it descends. When it hits the ground or goes out of sight, make a note of a landmark on the horizon. Walk toward that landmark until you find the rocket. If you’re not finding it, go at least 30% farther than you thought it was. And stop every so often to look backwards.

I’m a proud L-0, but I read lots of HPR people talk about the value of a checklist.
This can't be said enough.

(Former proud L-0 myself, BTW. Blessed are those who don't feel the need to cert until they decide they actually need the cert. :cool: )
Get there early, leave late and help setup/breakdown. Not only will this buy you big time friendship points with fellow members, it is a great time to learn about the club’s systems, pads, rails, etc. Ask questions and lend a healthy amount of elbow grease.
This also can't be said enough.
If there is a row of portapotties, the ones in the middle of the row tend to be less awful than the ones at the end.
🤣 Too true.
Bring a pop up tent/canopy if you have one. Shade is really nice.
Indeed. OP is in the UK, and I don't know how common the North American style of pop-up canopy is there (I suspect less due to less gargantuan vehicles), but thinking ahead and planning around being outdoors all day is essential.
Point at your rocket as it descends. When it hits the ground or goes out of sight, make a note of a landmark on the horizon. Walk toward that landmark until you find the rocket. If you’re not finding it, go at least 30% farther than you thought it was. And stop every so often to look backwards.
Take a bearing on your phone compass too. The GPS-assisted compass apps on smartphones these days make waling a bearing nearly trivial, though crops, topography, vegetation, etc. may still conspire to foil recovery.

(Best thing is to fly a tracker, but that's not all that helpful advice the day before a cert flight.)

How was the launch? Did your cert go as planned? Pictures, pictures!

Back